Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Archive of permanently deleted nile red videos not even available on patreon

Cou - 13-11-2019 at 18:37

https://archive.org/details/youtube_UCFhXFikryT4aFcLkLw2LBLA...

any others missing here?

[Edited on 14-11-2019 by Cou]

lordcookies24 - 13-11-2019 at 19:18

I understand why some of the ones like methylamine and hydroiodic acid got deleted. But pottasium nitrate? You can buy that at Walmart! There is no reason why it had to be deleted

Cou - 13-11-2019 at 19:38

nurdrage hidden videos:

Making potassium https://youtu.be/gHgyn-wsxFw

Can't find the sodium cyanide video

edit: sodium cyanide video, download before it gets taken down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVm3QqYIAp8

vibbzlab - 13-11-2019 at 20:06

Why were these videos removed?

Schmiddy - 13-11-2019 at 20:48

Quote: Originally posted by vibbzlab  
Why were these videos removed?

because of the nanny state mentality,they want to prevent drug making(while Canada is flooded with cheap fentanyl from china) and they want to prevent terrorism,while open our borders to all and sundry.

it stops the lazy and ignorant which is good but when the restrictions go too far it seriously hampers progress for legit students and researchers.

falling leaf stump remover,the easiest source of K nitrate ws put behind the counter as of Jan1 of this year and you need t show gov, ID to buy it.
it's about $16 a pound and some places restrict you to two bottles per visit

the problem obviously is that you can't stop knowledge and if someone really wanted large amounts of potassium nitrates you can get it by synthesizing it from scratch.

Government restrictions defeated by a library card.

Look up what a Gong farmer is and why they became so well paid.

Old piss was big business at one time.

chemplayer... - 14-11-2019 at 04:00

Nile is in it now as a business, and no disrespect to him for that, but he has to think as a business first and foremost which means reducing any risk and ensuring he has a very stable platform to build on.

Praxichys - 14-11-2019 at 05:08

I can't wait until I'm under fire for that acetic anhydride apparatus...

phlogiston - 14-11-2019 at 07:15

Content creaters should question their business model if it depends on such an unreliable/whimsical platform.

We, as customers, vote by choosing where we watch the content that we like. It would not be so bad to promote the popularity of other video sharing platforms.

[Edited on 14-11-2019 by phlogiston]

Cou - 14-11-2019 at 07:32

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer...  
Nile is in it now as a business, and no disrespect to him for that, but he has to think as a business first and foremost which means reducing any risk and ensuring he has a very stable platform to build on.

I miss when nile red did more organic synthesis, and not showy inorganic chemistry to impress the lay people.

Ubya - 14-11-2019 at 07:59

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  

I miss when nile red did more organic synthesis, and not showy inorganic chemistry to impress the lay people.

Pretty much every "science" channel once big enough becomes like that, the reason is simple, most of the audience is dumb like a rock, so to get views you need dumb videos.
Look at Grant thomsom the king of random, I subscribed to his channel after his fifth video, he made good content, well thought projects that needed many tries and development, but once he grew enough, to get even more subscribers and views he just focused on stupid stuff, and people sadly like that. We are a minority, if you want to live out of YouTube reveniews you need a big audience, we simply are not enough, but there are countless idiots or very uncultured people.
I mean, nurdrage synthesizes, 30k views at most, shattering a heart frozen in liquid nitrogen?? Ahhh let the millions of views flow

vibbzlab - 14-11-2019 at 09:25

Ye people sees dumb stuff poor creators like me are suffering. people want to see fish in Sulfuric acid hand in Sulfuric acid. Burning meat with sparkler. Throwing bottle of sodium in water. Wtf is this

Dan Vizine - 14-11-2019 at 12:51

If you are making a video as an instructional guide you shouldn't be surprised at having a limited audience. You mostly can't put anything that we'd consider useful into 3 or 4 minutes. And that's the kind of video that gets a lot of hits on platforms like YouTube. The video describing how to get thorium from a microwave oven vastly outpaces my own video describing an actual working process to that end. The former is only a few minutes long but mine takes 25 minutes to wrap up. Consequently, I have only about 1.3 k views in more than a year. The fact is, most YouTube viewers aren't looking for a how-to as much as they are looking for quick entertainment. Add to this the desire by authorities to suppress certain knowledge and I'd say that on the whole, we're probably lucky to get the limited number of useful videos that we do.

[Edited on 11/14/2019 by Dan Vizine]

annaandherdad - 14-11-2019 at 15:04

I was one of the 1.4k viewers and I was impressed by the amount of work you put into the project, your knowledge and skill in carrying it out, and your courage in doing the work in the first place, in view of the dangers. (I kept thinking of what would happen on inhaling a nanogram of thorium oxide dust, for example.)

It was not a small matter, and it will stand the test of time, which most of the microwave videos will not.

vibbzlab - 14-11-2019 at 16:06

My views are very bad

rockyit98 - 14-11-2019 at 16:16

before i got high speed internet i used to download Youtube videos before watching them because to avoid buffering.but the habit stuck with me specially for chemistry videos for obvious reasons.as it seems i'm not the only one. now i have 200GB of stuff to sort out.if you know any more videos that you can't find let me know.maybe i have them.

Herr Haber - 15-11-2019 at 04:21

Quote: Originally posted by Dan Vizine  
The fact is, most YouTube viewers aren't looking for a how-to as much as they are looking for quick entertainment.
[Edited on 11/14/2019 by Dan Vizine]

Yes, this is the real reason. Not because people are dumb ;)

"Normal" viewers go to Youtube for entertainment.
We go there to learn.
It would be interesting to know how normal users browse YT compared to a population that is not afraid of 25mn+ videos.

John paul III - 15-11-2019 at 05:06

Since the topics' already there, are there videos preserved from original explosions&fire channel, besides those six vids on vimeo?

Velzee - 15-11-2019 at 17:14

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  

Pretty much every "science" channel once big enough becomes like that, the reason is simple, most of the audience is dumb like a rock, so to get views you need dumb videos.
Look at Grant thomsom the king of random, I subscribed to his channel after his fifth video, he made good content, well thought projects that needed many tries and development, but once he grew enough, to get even more subscribers and views he just focused on stupid stuff, and people sadly like that. We are a minority, if you want to live out of YouTube reveniews you need a big audience, we simply are not enough, but there are countless idiots or very uncultured people.
I mean, nurdrage synthesizes, 30k views at most, shattering a heart frozen in liquid nitrogen?? Ahhh let the millions of views flow

Yeah, may his soul Rest in Peace, but I used to be a big fan of his years ago (and I just recently realized that one of the first few videos that got me into the hobby was made by The BackYardScientist), but as soon as they got huge, it was as if their quality tumbled. I honestly couldn't stand watching most of Thompson's newer content (and still can't watch TBYS's new content without cringing), but I did and still do have massive respect for the both of them. To be fair, it's channels like theirs that get people hooked into the idea of exploring science, although it may not be the best way, it does. My ex used to come to me frequently for my more in-depth explanations to a lot of their videos, and she enjoys me teaching her about it all.

Maybe we sound like boomers, but I guess everyone is introduced differently to science. Some like a simpler experience, some like a detailed experience. I assume that if you're on this board, you like lots of details.

[Edited on 11/16/2019 by Velzee]

ElizabethGreene - 23-11-2019 at 07:34

Quote: Originally posted by lordcookies24  
But potassium nitrate? You can buy that at Walmart! There is no reason why it had to be deleted

Could you clarify this? I'm not aware of an OTC source for potassium nitrate.

Abromination - 23-11-2019 at 11:05

Quote: Originally posted by John paul III  
Since the topics' already there, are there videos preserved from original explosions&fire channel, besides those six vids on vimeo?

I think there may be a few on the explosions&fire subreddit.

hodges - 23-11-2019 at 17:01

Quote: Originally posted by ElizabethGreene  

Could you clarify this? I'm not aware of an OTC source for potassium nitrate.

Stump remover is mostly KNO3.

j_sum1 - 23-11-2019 at 18:39

Quote: Originally posted by John paul III  

When the channel went down, Explosions and Fire stated that he was not going to restore everything to the new E&F2 channel. He figured that losing a lot of the earlier stuff was not an enormous loss: basically because he had learned so much in the intervening period and that his focus had changed considerably. Also he said that he had not kept accurate backups of the earlier material. Some of it was a bit Jackass anyway.

G-Coupled - 23-11-2019 at 19:26

This is why services like BitChute exist - it wouldn't take much for archives of these 'problematic' videos to be preserved for the future.

Even archive.org for the more notable stuff.

It'd be a damn shame to permanently lose a lot of this media IMO.

fusso - 23-11-2019 at 19:26

He should've not deleted the final product after uploading them to online platforms. Always have a backup of everything.:facepalm:

G-Coupled - 23-11-2019 at 21:18

The simplest thing to do would be to set the 'problematic' videos to 'private' on YouTube, then the link(s) could be given to those who want to preserve them.

EDIT: If anyone wants a fantastic backup app for YouTube on Android, YouTube Downloader for Android by Dentex (get the link from XDA) works brilliantly.

YouTube-dl is the gold standard on other platforms.

[Edited on 24-11-2019 by G-Coupled]

Tdep - 24-11-2019 at 17:23

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

When the channel went down, Explosions and Fire stated that he was not going to restore everything to the new E&F2 channel. He figured that losing a lot of the earlier stuff was not an enormous loss: basically because he had learned so much in the intervening period and that his focus had changed considerably. Also he said that he had not kept accurate backups of the earlier material. Some of it was a bit Jackass anyway.

This is very correct, but people were sharing backups without my consent or control anyway. This was something I wasn't a fan of, mainly because the early videos featured other people doing stupid things, and now they're trying to be doctors and teachers and stuff, and I didn't want to ruin their lives.
So I went through and got clearance for each video from everyone involved and now I have a Bitchute with the older videos and the newer ones, uploaded in chronological order of them being originally put up on Youtube (well, to the best of my memory): https://www.bitchute.com/channel/UfBs6jQYpKJB/

You can decide for yourself if the content is jackass or not, but i'll be surprised if you think that the earlier videos are worthwhile viewing. Its interesting to me because I like seeing how the videos and the format progressed, and i've put some 'directors commentary' notes under each video, but still, a lot of the content is a painful watch (the 'Sodium Hydroxide' video is probably the most painful). Content that is more better remembered than revisited, at least I think.

Paddywhacker - 29-11-2019 at 02:36

any others missing here?

I have 53 gig of copies of many such videos from YouTube of a few years ago. I'm willing to share them if anybody is interested and can propose a workable method.

Image1.jpg - 698kB

G-Coupled - 29-11-2019 at 03:44

Quote: Originally posted by Paddywhacker  

any others missing here?

I have 53 gig of copies of many such videos from YouTube of a few years ago. I'm willing to share them if anybody is interested and can propose a workable method.

Why not upload them to BitChute? :cool:

cirice1 - 29-11-2019 at 07:38

I am at 233 gigs.

Capture.PNG - 257kB

[Edited on 29-11-2019 by cirice1]

fusso - 29-11-2019 at 08:58

I prefer using torrent. I hope someone would upload to torrent sharing sites like pirate bay so I can download them all at once.

G-Coupled - 29-11-2019 at 09:13

BitChute also uses torrents to seed videos. :cool:

cirice1 - 29-11-2019 at 13:10

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
I prefer using torrent. I hope someone would upload to torrent sharing sites like pirate bay so I can download them all at once.

It isn't a complete archive, it mostly lack some of the newest NileRed and Nurdrage videos, a lot of videos from John Black Super Chemist are not in it and also i don't have any vids from PoorMans Chemist

Attachment: youtube chem.torrent (1.3MB)
This file has been downloaded 632 times

Paddywhacker - 5-12-2019 at 09:48

Here is my own smaller collection.

Edit: Magnet URI magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5DE990393DFA8C26CB8D6DC129FC4BCC48C0FC78&dn=Chemistry%20Demos&tr=http%3a%2f%2fwww.torrent-downloads.to%3a2710%2fannounce&a mp;tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com %3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sumotracker.com%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradis e.org%3a6969

Attachment: Chemistry Demos.torrent (194kB)
This file has been downloaded 550 times

[Edited on 5-12-2019 by Paddywhacker]

Paddywhacker - 6-12-2019 at 15:12

Has anybody had any success getting filed from these torrents?

I haven't been able to grab any of circe1's, and it appears that nobody has downloaded any of mine. Maybe I'm not using uTorrent properly. A screenshot of my torrent with trackers is attached.

Image1.jpg - 273kB

Thanks for sharing!!!

alex007 - 9-3-2020 at 12:20

Quote: Originally posted by cirice1  
Quote: Originally posted by fusso  

It isn't a complete archive, it mostly lack some of the newest NileRed and Nurdrage videos, a lot of videos from John Black Super Chemist are not in it and also i don't have any vids from PoorMans Chemist

Many, many thanks for sharing your collection cirice1. You have some titles from various channels which have since been deleted on Youtube. I'm busy downloading your torrent now. Thanks for seeding too if that's you.

Ever since Youtube began its censorship campaign around 2016-17 onwards, I've been scrambling to rip as many Youtube channels which I fear will come under the axe. I'm also scrambling to find copies of deleted content before they too disappear. I started off downloading each video manually, then I learned about youtube-dl and automated downloading, then went through the steep learning curve of advanced shell programming in order to download other website content which I deem precious and in danger of disappearing forever. Youtube has come down especially hard on chemistry channels. In fact, the entire internet is getting censored as we see website after website being shut down. Wikileaks will surely be next on their radar. The trend is clear: they want to keep potentially dangerous knowledge away from inquisitive minds. They want us all to be declawed, domesticated and rendered harmless, like factory-farmed chicken. And let's not even mention the over-the-top copyright policing. But this is another story for another day.

If you don't already know, there are backups of various chemistry channels on archive.org, some of which include deleted videos:
Code:
NileRed https://archive.org/details/NileRed_me https://archive.org/details/youtube_UCFhXFikryT4aFcLkLw2LBLA NurdRage: https://archive.org/details/Nurdrage_me https://archive.org/details/youtube_UCIgKGGJkt1MrNmhq3vRibYA Laboratory of Liptakov: https://archive.org/details/LaboratoryofLiptakov_me and more....

The archive.org search engine is not very tolerant of mistakes. It won't present results which are similar, only exact matching results. When searching channel names, try various combinations of strings eg for NileRed, try nile red, red nile, nilered, therednile etc. Also search for the channel identifier eg UCIgKGGJkt1MrNmhq3vRibYA. There's a user called Video Archivist who uploads specifically deleted videos to archive.org from various channels, using the channel identifier.

And lastly, you must obviously know that various users have also moved to Bitchute. For example, the old Laboratory of Liptakov videos which were censored by Youtube are now at:
Code:
https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mendelejev/

It looks like the ScienceMadness chemistry channel list has kept track of all the changes:
Code:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/List_of_chemistry_Youtube_channels

Forgive me if I'm just stating the obvious. I'm new here an just signed up. I thought I'd post this partly for the benefit of others who will find this thread in later years.

cirice1 - 10-3-2023 at 08:25

I created a new archive , it is 430gb.

Attachment: yt chem video archive.torrent (4.8MB)
This file has been downloaded 230 times

blogfast25 - 11-3-2023 at 05:51

So what/where is Nile Red's business?

Texium - 11-3-2023 at 06:40

His videos are his business

cirice1 - 11-3-2023 at 08:04

The PMC folder is empty, but this should give you an idea about the content of the archive.

yt chem archive.jpg - 392kB

blogfast25 - 11-3-2023 at 12:26

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
His videos are his business

Should have guessed really.

When someone says 'business' an old codger like me thinks of tangible good but in the new paradigm you can also think 'influencer'... :(;):(;)

scitiana - 12-3-2023 at 06:46

there seems to be no seeds on this torrent

cirice1 - 12-3-2023 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by scitiana  

there seems to be no seeds on this torrent

That's weird, there is someone who is downloading it, and i also tried it on another pc and it seems to be working

scitiana - 12-3-2023 at 13:39

fixed the issue by using a different client for some reason Ktorrent was ignoring the seeders

Parakeet - 13-3-2023 at 03:57

I was finally able to watch some of the Nurdrage’s deleted videos. Thank you, cirice1! :)

cirice1 - 14-3-2023 at 00:59

Quote: Originally posted by Parakeet  
I was finally able to watch some of the Nurdrage’s deleted videos. Thank you, cirice1! :)

Sure! With the way YouTube is going I believe it's important to have these locally, so if you download it please keep seeding it as much and as long as possible

lux_obscura - 6-2-2024 at 14:07

Thank you so much for this invaluable archive!

One question though: is anybody still seeding it? I downloaded around 35% then it stopped or slowed down to 10 kB/s.

lux_obscura - 10-2-2024 at 01:20

Managed to download to 46%, still seeders with terribly low upload speed of 10 kB/s.

Kevlar - 9-3-2024 at 02:56

I never was aware that ScienceMadness has it's very own Youtube channel! Now I do, and have just had a gander and looks helpfull.

I'm just in the process of recording my experiments and editing them for making a Youtube channel of my own, I have no intention of gaing fame like NileRed but doing them for the knowledge they hold. And even if they got a following, I would have to keep it real like NurdRage & Explosions&Fire!

Bedlasky - 10-3-2024 at 04:27

Quote: Originally posted by Kevlar  
I never was aware that ScienceMadness has it's very own Youtube channel! Now I do, and have just had a gander and looks helpfull.

I'm just in the process of recording my experiments and editing them for making a Youtube channel of my own, I have no intention of gaing fame like NileRed but doing them for the knowledge they hold. And even if they got a following, I would have to keep it real like NurdRage & Explosions&Fire!

You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/@Sciencemadness/videos

I don't think this is Science Madness official youtube channel. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

lux_obscura - 25-3-2024 at 05:07

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
Quote: Originally posted by Kevlar  

You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/@Sciencemadness/videos

I don't think this is Science Madness official youtube channel. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

This doesn't look like an official thing. I reckon someone just used the same name.

Velzee - 24-4-2024 at 11:54

Quote: Originally posted by lux_obscura  
Managed to download to 46%, still seeders with terribly low upload speed of 10 kB/s.

I'm at 0.9% after 4 days of downloading. 0 out of 1 seeds. Yeah I'm not sure this archive is really an archive anymore.

[Edited on 4/24/2024 by Velzee]