Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Any way in recycling silver nitrate from its oxides?

vibbzlab - 10-12-2019 at 05:41

I used up my silver nitrate for a qualitative analysis. Silver nitrate was made to react with sodium thiosulfate and the final ppt was washed and dried. Is there any way to recycle silver nitrate from it

Sulaiman - 10-12-2019 at 08:47

I suspect that rather than an oxide, the silver has formed a sulphide, Ag2S,
unless you have a large quantity of Ag2S it is probably not worth recovering
because afaik silver sulphide is infamously difficult to recycle to silver.

wg48temp9 - 10-12-2019 at 11:26

From my photograph phase I would think the reaction of silver compounds with thiosulfate produces soluble products or it does at the usual levels found in thiosulphate types of photographic fixing solutions.

You will probably find explanations on how to recover the silver from used hypo fixing solutions on the web.

The oxide will dissolve in nitric acid and acetic acid and probably many other acids but not sulphuric or hydrochloric.

Silver is found as a sulphide ore from which it must be possible to extract the silver. A quick search produced the following cyanide method. OK not ideal but there are probably many other methods too. It may dissolve in hypo particularly easily if its a fine precipitate and perhaps nitric acid. Try searching quantitative analysis methods for silver.

Ag-from AgS.JPG - 62kB

[Edited on 12/10/2019 by wg48temp9]

fusso - 10-12-2019 at 11:45

Why not just cremate the shit outta Ag2S?
SO2 will form and escape and pure Ag will remain.

Fleaker - 10-12-2019 at 12:20

The Ag2S melts into a matte. Then it can be converted to silver with a piece of iron rod at the melting point of silver.
Could also dissolve the Ag2S in thiosulfate and plate it out, but it never all comes out of solution. Iron rod was always best.

Done it many times.