Sciencemadness Discussion Board

AcOH test synth questions.

Swinfi2 - 18-12-2019 at 14:45

The other day I reacted approx 50g Ca(OAc)2.H2O with 30ml H2SO4 (70%)

The mixture was at first quite lumpy and hard to stir but thinned considerably with fair heat given off and the unmistakable stench of strong acetic acid.

Ideally I would have used dry calcium acetate and 98% acid but as this was a test run I'm not so worried. But on further thought, both the Calcium Sulphate and 5ml excess acid are used as dessicants

What are the chances of me distilling dry(ish) acetic acid from the rxn mixture? Would vacuum increase purity?
Can I test how much water is present? (I'm expecting between 0-20% right?)

RedDwarf - 18-12-2019 at 17:15

Rathbones (in Scotland - just over the border!) sell glacial acetic acid at £17/litre (plus VAT and delivery) in a very nice amber glass bottle, so unless you're interested in making it yourself it's an easy solution. I have no connection with the company, but was impressed with a recent delivery (I'm just an individual not a company and they didn't cause me any hassle because I'm just an amateur)

G-Coupled - 19-12-2019 at 06:56

It's the shipping that kills you - GAA has to be sent by 'special courier'.

beerwiz - 19-12-2019 at 10:37

Fun fact: AcOH (acetic acid) is the Acetate salt of Hydrogen, you can call it Hydrogen acetate.

Swinfi2 - 19-12-2019 at 19:54

@RedDwarf sounds like a good place to buy when I need to get more but all I could find was an investment company (Facepalm) could you send me a link?

Most of my experiments are to prove methods for when society inevitably collapses... or when I leave the country, whichever first.

So I carried out the distillation, worked well until the shed started to smell less like nitrogen nitride mixed with oxygen oxide and more like pain, so I stopped there. looks like I got about 50ml. I must be a wizard with that 150% yield...

Abromination - 22-12-2019 at 17:56

Quote: Originally posted by beerwiz  
Fun fact: AcOH (acetic acid) is the Acetate salt of Hydrogen, you can call it Hydrogen acetate.

But you shouldn’t because that’s incorrect nomenclature, like calling sulfuric acid hydrogen sulfate or phosphoric acid hydrogen phosphate. Its really just not something you should do, it makes you look less reputable in right-ups and publication (as well as on the forum with such a post)

RedDwarf - 23-12-2019 at 14:47

Swinfi2 - A lot of my interests in chemistry also concern the question "in the post apocalyptic winter how could I...?" :)

Re: Rathbones - website is http://rathburn.co.uk/ but while you can see what they sell and specs there, you won't see prices or be able to place an order. For that you'll need to email sales@rathburn.co.uk and they'll email you an exel pricelist if you ask nicely.