Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Practical synthesis using basic equipment

Optimum - 21-12-2019 at 13:22

Hello,

which practical synthesis can be done using basic or kitchen equipment?

Thanks

B(a)P - 21-12-2019 at 21:56

It depends what you are trying to achieve. Is this for education, entertainment are practicing techniques? The list is about endless. You could try soap, ethanol, remove a deposit, etching, ect.
Come back with some more detail around what you are trying to do.

Optimum - 22-12-2019 at 12:14

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
It depends what you are trying to achieve. Is this for education, entertainment are practicing techniques? The list is about endless. You could try soap, ethanol, remove a deposit, etching, ect.

Hello,

i might be interesting in microdosing related stuff in the sense some of these substances are not psychoactive... i guess this kind of topic can be discussed here...

can someone describe a few basic pratical synthesis that can be done perfectly using basic equipment?
for example if you have one substance and need to mix it with other substance to form one compound, what techniques can be used?

Thank you

Abromination - 22-12-2019 at 14:53

Quote: Originally posted by Optimum  

Hello,

i might be interesting in microdosing related stuff in the sense some of these substances are not psychoactive... i guess this kind of topic can be discussed here...

can someone describe a few basic pratical synthesis that can be done perfectly using basic equipment?
for example if you have one substance and need to mix it with other substance to form one compound, what techniques can be used?

Thank you

Its practically impossible to ever do a synthesis perfectly, especially in an amateur setting and even more so with kitchen supplies. Even if you managed to use perfectly stoichiometric amounts of your reagents, the technical or kitchen grade chemicals would have significant amounts of impurities. With kitchen materials, it is also rather difficult to remove these impurities, other then recrystallization. Instead of pursuing such a feat, have fun with some basic metal chemistry without an extreme regard for purity.

Optimum - 22-12-2019 at 22:43

Quote: Originally posted by Abromination  

Hello,

Thank you

Its practically impossible to ever do a synthesis perfectly, especially in an amateur setting and even more so with kitchen supplies. Even if you managed to use perfectly stoichiometric amounts of your reagents, the technical or kitchen grade chemicals would have significant amounts of impurities. With kitchen materials, it is also rather difficult to remove these impurities, other then recrystallization. Instead of pursuing such a feat, have fun with some basic metal chemistry without an extreme regard for purity.

can you tell more about amateur settings? do you refer to amateur labs?
can you tell more about these? with right knowledge its possible to produce something decent in amateur setting? or it does not depend on the knowlegde but on the settings itself such as equipment?

what about basic equipment?
can you refer some useful synth using basic equipment?

Thank you

Abromination - 23-12-2019 at 15:24

First of all, if it get your meaning by “mircodosing,” don’t. It is a very easy thing to mess up, impurities in your products can cause serious damage to your body over time or poison you acutely. This goes back to what I was saying about purity. If you have taken a basic chemistry class, you should know about this and why it is not good to get a hundred percent of the theoretical yield. You cant do chemistry perfectly, even if you are perfect.

Back to equipment, you were speaking of kitchen equipment, so I talked in terms of that. In terms of amateur equipment, think at the level of or higher then that of a high school chemistry class. For most of us it is well above, as I haven’t seen a high school lab equipped with jointed glass.
Even with good equipment, you can’t do a synthesis perfectly. I wont get into specifics about the equipment because if you have a true interest in chemistry, you would find it out yourself.

Optimum - 3-1-2020 at 01:05

Hello,

Thank you

is recrystallization a good technique? or there is best technique?

First of all, if it get your meaning by “mircodosing,” don’t. It is a very easy thing to mess up, impurities in your products can cause serious damage to your body over time or poison you acutely. This goes back to what I was saying about purity. If you have taken a basic chemistry class, you should know about this and why it is not good to get a hundred percent of the theoretical yield. You cant do chemistry perfectly, even if you are perfect.

Back to equipment, you were speaking of kitchen equipment, so I talked in terms of that. In terms of amateur equipment, think at the level of or higher then that of a high school chemistry class. For most of us it is well above, as I haven’t seen a high school lab equipped with jointed glass.
Even with good equipment, you can’t do a synthesis perfectly. I wont get into specifics about the equipment because if you have a true interest in chemistry, you would find it out yourself.

want to reformulate the question,
what equipment contain an amateur chemistry "kit"?

ive seen people using basic techniques like using something with lower PH and hot water to mix two compounds, can you tell about others? can you tell about equipment to do such things or other techniques?

Thank you

DavidJR - 3-1-2020 at 03:52

is recrystallization a good technique? or there is best technique?

There is no single "best" separation technique. However, recrystallisation often works very well and it is a low-effort and easily scalable process.

XeonTheMGPony - 3-1-2020 at 04:07

I seriously think you need to invest in time learning some basics, not to sound crass, but it seems like you came across some online cookery site and shouted yehaw!

Go into the library here and you will find some basic lab procedure books

Go online, look at pictures of glass wear, or even in the lab build thread here on this site.

What is best? Totally depends on what you are doing, it will influence what glass wear you buy, what tools you will need and at what level of accuracy

For you, if you plan to consume it you will want very high resolution measuring tools, and quality analysis tools. For me I delve into energetics, a lot more forgiving then biochem of the body!

Herr Haber - 3-1-2020 at 04:49

Hello,

which practical synthesis can be done using basic or kitchen equipment?

Thanks

Same meaningless question a couple of other users ask…
Trolling can sometimes be fun but I dont get the kick you get from trolling the way you are.

If you are not trolling let me give you two answers:

- Synthesis of carbon dioxyde:
Take a drinking glass. Fill with water. Dump a few spoons of sodium bicarbonate. Heat to 60 degrees.
There you go, you just synthed CO2 and sodium carbonate.

- Nitroglycerin
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=949
There you go, 27 pages and if I remember correctly among those 27 pages someone uses a coffee pot.

I hope you see there is a world of differences between those two.
In this light, do you understand how fucking silly and annoying your questionS are ?