Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Beginner Project Ideas

Chemorg42 - 6-1-2020 at 14:46

First Post!
I know that this topic has been heavily explored in other threads but I have not found one that quite fits my particular situation.
I am looking for projects and experiments which satisfy the following criteria.

Thanks in advance.

j_sum1 - 6-1-2020 at 15:10

Welcome aboard.
It has been quite a while since this question has been asked. I think more than a year.
Here are some favourites:

That should get you started. :)
I am sure others will be by with more good ideas.

Twospoons - 6-1-2020 at 19:38

Growing crystals is a good simple starting activity. Growing large, single, high quality crystals is a bit more challenging. Copper sulfate is a good one to start with.

making pH indicator from plants is another satisfying experiment - I got a bunch of kids at a Harry Potter themed party playing with that and they loved it.
Red cabbage works well, as do most dark blue flowers. You can extend this by making buffer solutions and using them to calibrate your pH indicators.

[Edited on 7-1-2020 by Twospoons]

woelen - 6-1-2020 at 23:49

Electrolysis experiments also are very nice. If you take apart a zinc carbon battery and you do this carefully, then you get a nice carbon rod, which can be used as anode in electrolysis experiments (you have to clean the rod well, by rubbing off black powder). You can try electrolysis of salt, copper sulfate, dilute acids. It also is interesting to do electrolysis with copper wire at the anode instead of a carbon rod. You can try to collect some of the gases, produced in electrolysis of a salt solution. You need a decent 5V power supply for these experiments, 5V and a few ampere is OK. A nice thing to start with is a newer Raspberry PI 4 power brick (it is 5V, 4A), which can be used for many interesting small-scale electrolysis experiments.

Sulaiman - 7-1-2020 at 02:15

I've not looked yet, but now is the season of almost as new, ex-Xmas present chemistry sets,
eBay, thrift/charity store/shop, local recyling etc. I found such kits a really good way to get started,
spirit lamp, flasks, test tubes and rack, indicators, chemicals, even some good experiments .....
I used a lot of a kit for years (along with new equipment), some of it I still use five years later.
I suggest getting comfortable eye protection asap (not the pathetic goggles in toy chemistry kits)
If possible, try to have an 'experiments' area that is stain- and burn-proof.
Welcome, stay safe and enjoy.

... start collecting bottles and jars ...

P.S. e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chemistry-Set-John-Lewis/25446825...

[Edited on 7-1-2020 by Sulaiman]

Chemorg42 - 7-1-2020 at 13:39

Thanks for the great suggestions. Ideas still definitely welcome