Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What is the name of this type of container?

TGWS - 13-1-2020 at 11:43

What is the name of this type of container?

Does it serve a practical purpose as reagent storage or is it for display purposes only?

Why is it shaped the way that it is...? ;)

tannicacid.png - 134kB

DavidJR - 13-1-2020 at 11:49

Uhh... I'd call that a butt plug.

TGWS - 13-1-2020 at 11:56

Heh, some of the reagents I've seen put into these, I'm not sure I'd like to wiggle one up the back passage and meet the dirty consequences - both chemically and mentally scarring.

karlosĀ³ - 13-1-2020 at 12:18

I think it is for display purposes only, as I've only seen containers with this form on chinese retail markets.
I don't know what a butt plug shaped container has for a purpose anyway, I can't think of any other than making the reagent better visible(but then again, you just see white or multiple colored powders, could be anything, even spices? Certainly a bad choice without amber glass.).

TGWS - 13-1-2020 at 13:05

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

I can just imagine a dodgy company fobbing off some dirt from outside as something really expensive.

The shape must be an added bonus. :)

SWIM - 14-1-2020 at 09:29

I have seen old American display bottles with a similar, but less tapered shape.
They were in old Pharmacies for display purposes.

I can't find a picture of one, but in shape they resemble this:https://d3f650ayx9w00n.cloudfront.net/940/54215-05.jpg

Which is also some sort of butt-plug.

These bottles are also called seed bottles and used to display seeds as well. (Both the columnar and conical forms)

I have always assumed these were to allow nudist element collectors carry their samples around without having to have their hands full.

No, actually I look at these and think: "There must have been some horrifying accidents with these being mis-used. Too Brittle."

[Edited on 14-1-2020 by SWIM]

karlosĀ³ - 14-1-2020 at 12:54

Yeah, who of us doesn't think stuff like "today I'm going to go outside completely nude, but I need to carry my tellurium sample with me in a large body orifice", at least from time to time? :D
I have thoughts like this several times everyday! :P

draculic acid69 - 14-1-2020 at 16:19

I'd call it a glass egg.or buttplug.for some reason every chem company on Alibaba use it for display purposes on there pages.maybe it started out as a dare or inside joke to use a buttplug on there company page without it getting flagged as sexual content and then it became traditional to use a hollow buttplug to display powders on Alibaba.
I've never seen them on any other website or anywhere else and they don't look too functional

Armus_ - 15-1-2020 at 06:57

the only practical use for these is for prisoners to actively carry drugs XD

Morgan - 15-1-2020 at 09:08

Ebay has several listing using the words "lab glass seed bottle" sometimes followed by the words specimen bottle, sample bottle.

SWIM - 15-1-2020 at 12:37

This actually brings up an interesting question:

How old is the seed bottle?

How old is the butt plug?

Were they independent inventions, or was the butt-plug form borrowed from seed bottles?

Maybe some creative Pharmacist back in the early 20th century thought of a different use for his/her display bottles and later they were copied in form by sex toy producers.

NOTE:

The 'orificial therapy' dilators sold in the early 20th century by some American doctor who insisted tight sphincters lead to neuroses seem to have used a different form unrelated to the seed bottle/modern butt plug form.

(They show up sometimes in auctions of quack medical devices.)