Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What Analysis Method to Use???

Steam - 22-1-2020 at 17:32

So after running in circles through google searches I have decided to come here to get some straight answers.
Problem: I wish to measure impurity build up inside a flask of N-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone which contains 10% by mass phenol. One major problem is that I am not sure what the impurities will be. My guess one of them will be a bisphenol-A type fragment which will leach into the solution, but I am not sure if it will be present or if something else will be crated. Essentially, there is this metal-polymer-ceramic part which is inside the flask which is being tested to see how it withstands the solution. I am most interested in organic species which are leaching out of the polymer or are formed from reactions between the solution with the object or the solution itself.
Required Data: I am looking for species identification, and rough concentration if possible.
Sample Characteristics: Liquid samples up to 30 mL in size.
Additional Remarks: I don't know if this is a thing, but at one point I think I overheard someone talking about HPLC with FTIR finish. I was initially thinking that would be the golden ticket because it would separate out the species and give some ID data as well. However, I have been having quite the time trying to find a lab which offers this service for hire. I am guessing that you all will know of a better way than this though.
Budget: I have a budget of about $1,000 Per sample.

unionised - 22-1-2020 at 23:23

GCMS