Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Easy ways of obtaining/extracting/synthesizing melamine?

garphield - 25-2-2020 at 17:54

There have been a few posts on this forum about melamine, but I can’t seem to find anything detailing how to get it. The only thing I could find was an old post saying that pure melamine was not available in any OTC products. It seems like either the hydrolysis of melamine resin/foam or the condensation of cyanuric acid with ammonia at fairly high temperatures, but it doesn’t look like there are any available procedures outlining how to do this online. I would try it myself, but I won’t have a lab until a few months from now, when school is over and I can get a job over the summer. If there is a known way to easily make melamine from easily available products, it would probably be useful to mention it on the wiki or something. The reason I am so interested in this is that I stumbled on an old thread here from a few years ago saying that you could make nitrogen dioxide from melamine and calcium hypochlorite, but sadly this got derailed into a discussion about using a similar method on urea, which did not work. If there was a widely known and practical way to get melamine, this might be looked into more.

The thread in question: https://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=48085...

This is my first real post here, hopefully it doesn’t break any rules. I did look here for a while to see if there had been any similar threads on this topic before, and couldn’t find any. Thanks!

[Edited on 26-2-2020 by garphield]

SWIM - 25-2-2020 at 18:31

Do you need melamine, or melamine monomer?

Both are for sale on ebay.

garphield - 25-2-2020 at 18:53

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  
Do you need melamine, or melamine monomer?

Both are for sale on ebay.

There are a bunch of different substances called melamine. I am talking about the chemical melamine, C3N6H6. I just looked online a little bit and could only find melamine resin for sale, and while you might be able to get the pure chemical from somewhere I haven’t looked, it doesn’t look super easy to get. The substance discussed in the thread I linked was the chemical melamine, and the person who was talking about it said he could only get it from lab suppliers.

Texium - 25-2-2020 at 19:11

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Melamine-Monomer-108-78-1-C-H-N-Pow...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-8-Melamine-108-78-1-C3H6N6-500g/...

Easy to find: you just have to search for melamine on eBay and then filter the results to “Business & Industrial” -> “Healthcare, Lab, and Dental” in order to get rid of all the dinnerware that crowds the results otherwise. :)

garphield - 25-2-2020 at 19:31

Thanks, I don’t have much experience with ebay lol.

I’d still like to try getting melamine from melamine resin and trying to reproduce the nitrogen dioxide/nitric acid synthesis from that thread over the summer, as it would be really nice if there was a way to easily make nitrates from just melamine resin and calcium hypochlorite now that everyone is trying to ban nitrates. Maybe I’ll update this when I get the chance to try it out in a few months.