Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Views on posts aren't unique

scienceboi - 14-6-2020 at 22:40

If you click on a thread then hit the back button in your browser, the view count adds two. This can be done over and over again. I'm using chrome. I don't know if its a local/client side thing or just with chrome.

j_sum1 - 14-6-2020 at 22:48

I doubt it is a problem. Not in any real sense.

scienceboi - 14-6-2020 at 22:48

I did this for a bit, at some point it made a duplicate thread. But now that's gone.

j_sum1 - 14-6-2020 at 22:49

Yep I deleted the duplicate.

scienceboi - 14-6-2020 at 22:50

True, its not a real problem. Just annoying because the real views will be completely unknown.

Also the refresh button doesn't create this problem.

[Edited on 6-15-2020 by scienceboi]

Texium - 15-6-2020 at 07:15

I don’t see any reason to be annoyed by it.

morganbw - 15-6-2020 at 09:50

I personally think that replies are a good metric for posts. Many views with no replies does not speak highly of a post. A catchy title = many views.
A good statement or question means replies.
Perhaps views/replies might be a good metric, I do not know.

j_sum1 - 15-6-2020 at 18:08

Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  
I personally think that replies are a good metric for posts. Many views with no replies does not speak highly of a post. A catchy title = many views.
A good statement or question means replies.
Perhaps views/replies might be a good metric, I do not know.

Maybe. Or you could just read it and find out if it interests you.
In any case, even if there is a counting inconsistency with this software, all threads will behave in tge same manner and the total numerical disparity is unlikely to be enough to make a significant difference.

Syn the Sizer - 15-6-2020 at 18:32

Honestly there are threads I have both commented on and not commented on that I repeatedly click on to read new comments if it is a topic that interested me, I may have 1 or 2 comments but 7 or 8 views as new comments were added.

Even this thread I viewed a couple times as people commented.

[Edited on 16-6-2020 by Syn the Sizer]

Lion850 - 16-6-2020 at 02:53

There are many threads I find interesting or learn something from without any reason to reply. In my opinion the views / replies ratio is not necessarily of any significance.

Ubya - 16-6-2020 at 02:54

Quote: Originally posted by Syn the Sizer  
Honestly there are threads I have both commented on and not commented on that I repeatedly click on to read new comments if it is a topic that interested me, I may have 1 or 2 comments but 7 or 8 views as new comments were added.

Even this thread I viewed a couple times as people commented.

[Edited on 16-6-2020 by Syn the Sizer]

well so you know how many people are interested. let's say we only display unique views, i find a post interesting to me, it shows now 1 view, i comment and wait for a reply, i sometimes watch again because i'm trying to replicate what the post is saying, i get a comment from OP, we get a conversation going, still one view.

now let's imagine i'm just browsing the recent posts, i see a catchy title, i think i might be interested, i open it and it's just useless stuff so i click away and i won't look back at it for a long time if not ever.
both topics have the same amount of views, views now are not really an indication of a good topic, maybe just of a catchy title.