Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Anyone know of good video's that demonstrate suck back during distillation?

RogueRose - 19-6-2020 at 10:46

I'm trying to show some people the effect of rapid cooling of gases and the effects it has on both sides of a system and I think distillation is a great example of where this can happen - if you have any other ideas I'm open to suggestions.

I've seen video's of people boiling water in a 55gal drum, sealing it, and then spraying it with water allowing it to "implode", and that doesn't really show how it effects both sides of a system where there is a heat source and a cooler side.

I'm thinking that another example might be steam hammer but that isn't quite the same as it relies on a wave of water being sucked or pushed as basically a piston, though I guess it is a pretty similar example - what do you think?

Do you know any good video's that show this phenomenon?

B(a)P - 19-6-2020 at 11:55

Here you go, extraction and ire clips are always entertaining.
https://youtu.be/VLOY-Jp2w1I

Ubya - 19-6-2020 at 14:47

grant thompson made a few years ago a video about it, he placed a glass bottle in the microwave with a few ml of water inside, then while steaming hot he placed the mouth of the bottle under the water line in a container, and the water rushed in, he also used a drum IIRC.
another example would be the absorbtion of ammonia, it's too easy to get a suckback and ruin your experiment (if you didn't set up a vessel for the fluid flowing back after the generator)

draculic acid69 - 19-6-2020 at 16:13

Generally suckback isn't an issue with distillation until you add a washbottle into the equation.

CuReUS - 20-6-2020 at 00:50

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
Do you know any good video's that show this phenomenon?
https://youtu.be/YGjd7xxTuZw?t=147

RogueRose - 20-6-2020 at 17:32

Thanks for the links. Those are helpful in demonstrating the issue!

dawt - 20-6-2020 at 22:08

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
Generally suckback isn't an issue with distillation until you add a washbottle into the equation.

Or an aspirator! Definitely use a safety bottle and/or check valve with those.