Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Swarm ideas needed: Many chemicals but little time: What's the most amazing stuff to make within one day?

TheMasterOfTheInternet - 17-7-2020 at 15:52

Hi thfere!
I have access to a wet dream of

~15kg KNO3
65% Oleum
98% Sulfuric acid
30% hydrogen peroxide
60% perchloric acid
65% HNO3
98% HNO3
sodium chlorate
KMnO4
Acetic anhydride
Nitromethane
and a few other basic materials
and almost all solvents you can imagines (acetone, mek, thf, dcm, chcl3, diethylether, diisopropylether, ipa, ethanol, methanol,....)

But I also have a full times job, a wife, a dog and children.
So I usually don't even have time to wipe my ass cleanly without beeing in a hurry.

Last time I used these chemicals was more than 15 years ago (when it was much more easily available, I was a member of rougesci and made dozens of explosives I would be now to be afraid of making them ;D) and now all these chemicals are rotting unused :(

And I wan't that so bad, I'm so fucking excited to jump into my old hobby and I'm so fucking happy and enthusiastic to do that!

But i will have only ONE DAY of time to show and have fun with them!
Now I'm planning a "big revival" and I'm so fucking happy that I can't decide what to do with them

I thought about making a some of the stuff I made when I was young like propylene glycol dinitrate, RDX, HMX (I also still have ~15g old stinking paraformaldehyde), ETN, TATP, picric acid and/or potassium picrate, KNO3/Ascorbing based rockets, KMnO4+Sulfuric acid fun, but that's all "not good enough" or "not spectacular enough" for itself.

What you would do if you had all that chemicals but only one day of time?

PS: If I wan't to make something like a shaped charge with them I would also need to make an electric primer and a cone within the same day. Is there something that can be used ford good shaped charge without soldering and hammering copper plates and tubes on my own?

PPS: Sorry for my english if it's bad ;)

[Edited on 18-7-2020 by TheMasterOfTheInternet]

njl - 17-7-2020 at 16:31

You could try a mitromethane based explosive. Tech ingredients has recent video on it.

TheMasterOfTheInternet - 17-7-2020 at 17:39

Quote: Originally posted by njl  
You could try a mitromethane based explosive. Tech ingredients has recent video on it.

Which one and which video? I can't find what you're talking about. Do you have a link?

PS: I don't have ammonium nitrate, I would have to make it from HNO3+NH4OH

[Edited on 18-7-2020 by TheMasterOfTheInternet]

Microtek - 20-7-2020 at 12:54

I would suggest a safer primary as a first step, since any exotic HE you decide to make will need to be initiated somehow. If you can get nickel and aminoguanidine you could make the perchlorate complex. Very satisfying and colorful reaction and a very safe and effective primary. Another possibility is an Al/ammoniumperchlorate rocket propellant.

caterpillar - 21-7-2020 at 13:22

Try this: "It is named "method A". 65 ml of mixed acid (HNO3+H2SO4, 50:50%). 10 gr of urea was slowly added into this mix with stirring and cooling. After addition mix was kept at 0 Celsius for 30 minutes. Then hexamine (10 gr) was added in small portions. Temperature was kept below zero- 0- 5 Celsius (this reaction is exothermic!). Then reaction mixture was allowed to warm up to 10 C and was stirred for 35 minutes. Finally reaction mix was poured into 400 gr of crushed ice. The white precipitate was filtered, washed and dried". You'll get the mix of RDX and keto-RDX. Hexamine dinitrate can be used instead.

Syn the Sizer - 21-7-2020 at 13:55

I would check out some of the books in the Science Madness library they have lots of great books with tons of reactions.

http://library.sciencemadness.org/library/index.html

Syn the Sizer - 21-7-2020 at 14:18

Also z-lib has lots of chemistry books.

https://z-lib.org/

B(a)P - 21-7-2020 at 15:54

When is your big day of chemistry planned for?
What sort of equipment do you have? Do you have the ability to distill or reflux?
Not sure what you mean by 'not good/spectacular enough' RDX and HMX are pretty spectacular IMHO......
If it is equally about the chemistry and exploring some new reactions I have included some ideas below.
Do you have a nitrite salt? If so you could try an azide synthesis. Start from hypochlorite to get hydrazine sulfate. Then make isopropyl nitrite. Freebase your hydrazine and use this along with the isopropyl nitrite to get sodium or potassium azide. You could then make a series of different azides and compare their properties.
Tetraamminecopper (II) chlorate is within reach with what you have.
If you can obtain mannose you could try nitromannite.
Diazodinitrophenol if you have sodium nitrite.
If you have/can obtain aminoguanidine bicarbonate you could have a day of tetrazoles.
Enjoy your day of chemistry and stay safe.

caterpillar - 21-7-2020 at 16:49

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
When is your big day of chemistry planned for?
What sort of equipment do you have? Do you have the ability to distill or reflux?
Not sure what you mean by 'not good/spectacular enough' RDX and HMX are pretty spectacular IMHO......
If it is equally about the chemistry and exploring some new reactions I have included some ideas below.
Do you have a nitrite salt? If so you could try an azide synthesis. Start from hypochlorite to get hydrazine sulfate. Then make isopropyl nitrite. Freebase your hydrazine and use this along with the isopropyl nitrite to get sodium or potassium azide. You could then make a series of different azides and compare their properties.
Tetraamminecopper (II) chlorate is within reach with what you have.
If you can obtain mannose you could try nitromannite.
Diazodinitrophenol if you have sodium nitrite.
If you have/can obtain aminoguanidine bicarbonate you could have a day of tetrazoles.
Enjoy your day of chemistry and stay safe.

This guy has no need in distillation- he has already conc. HNO3 an oleum.

B(a)P - 21-7-2020 at 16:58

Quote: Originally posted by caterpillar  

This guy has no need in distillation- he has already conc. HNO3 an oleum.

Correct, but if the OP would like to attempt an azide or tetrazole the ability to reflux will be needed.

Herr Haber - 22-7-2020 at 06:42

If one day is all you got, you are going to be in a rush which is always baaaaaad with HE.

If I may suggest a much better course in the long term:
1) Sell the chemicals
2) Tell wife you sold your chemicals and you made a reservation in a nice restaurant

Nitrosio - 28-7-2020 at 05:46

Ammonium Perchlorate Propellant
HNO3 / Nitromethane
MEKP
H2O2 / Glycerine
HMTD
Isopropyl Nitrate / Aluminium (Thermobaric Explosive)
Picric Acid / Lead Picrate
Nitrocellulose (Trinitrate)
Hexogen (RDX)
Chloratite (Miedziankit)
Black Powder (without Sulfur)
KNO3 / Sugar Smoke (Legendary)
Erythrite Tetranitrate (ETN)

Pyro_cat - 30-7-2020 at 07:55

Whistle mix.

Check out strobe rockets.