Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Possibility of buying the following substances?

khourygeo77 - 6-8-2020 at 12:18

Hello everyone,

I want to buy some types of coals and stones but I don't seem to find possible places that let me do that!

The things I want to buy are:

Oil Shale
Shale oil
Sand oil
Peat coal
Sub bituminous coal

I can't find these on sites like Amazon or ebay or even alibaba...

Any ideas?

Thank you!

B(a)P - 6-8-2020 at 13:18

You could try these guys. How much are you after?
https://m.onta.com/site/3-oil-rocks.html?imz_s=07bdtnkkcde3d...

Fyndium - 6-8-2020 at 13:48

The stuff that is available in thousands of tons is usually supplied in thousands of tons. Crude oil, being a commodity, is painfully hard to come by for an ordinary person.

khourygeo77 - 6-8-2020 at 15:33

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
You could try these guys. How much are you after?
https://m.onta.com/site/3-oil-rocks.html?imz_s=07bdtnkkcde3d...

3kgs for each would be enough. Thanks, I will surely try that link you gave tomorrow. Seems interesting.

draculic acid69 - 7-8-2020 at 02:34

40 railcars of coal go past my house at least a few times a day. Each car would have 10-20 tonnes in each coming from a local mine yet there's no chance of me buying any coal around here.ive never heard of anyone in this country having any coal or being able to buy it

B(a)P - 7-8-2020 at 02:52

I lived and worked in an industrial town in northern Australia 5 years ago. Coal used to wash up on the beach from the nearby port.I used to collect it and burnt it as firewood on camping trips. I still have friends their so I could probably get some sent to you @khourygeo77, but know that the origin and product would be largely unknown.

OldNubbins - 7-8-2020 at 15:55

Friend of mine has a large chunk of lignite and the last house I lived in used to burn coal in the early 1900's for heat and cooking - had a big pile of bituminous in the barn out back. Gave a bunch away for people to put in Christmas stockings one year, so it's out there, just most people don't know they have it.

khourygeo77 - 8-8-2020 at 02:58

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
I lived and worked in an industrial town in northern Australia 5 years ago. Coal used to wash up on the beach from the nearby port.I used to collect it and burnt it as firewood on camping trips. I still have friends their so I could probably get some sent to you @khourygeo77, but know that the origin and product would be largely unknown.

That would be great if they are either sub bituminous or peat coal. Is it possible to know what type of coal it would be?

Quote: Originally posted by OldNubbins  
Friend of mine has a large chunk of lignite and the last house I lived in used to burn coal in the early 1900's for heat and cooking - had a big pile of bituminous in the barn out back. Gave a bunch away for people to put in Christmas stockings one year, so it's out there, just most people don't know they have it.

You are right about bituminous coal and lignite. But peat and subbituminous coals are hard to find... So I am aiming on the latter 2 after finding out the bituminous coal and lignite can be easily acquired..

[Edited on 8-8-2020 by khourygeo77]

RedDwarf - 9-8-2020 at 05:08

You can buy peat blocks as a fuel (I'm not in favour of using peat as it generally destroys wetlands), was commonly used as a fuel in Ireland. Eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irish-Peat-Briquettes-Bord-Na-Mon...