Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Validity check: Vacuum Evacuated Slappers and Projection.

Hey Buddy - 3-11-2020 at 18:43

Hi. Ive been unable to find publications on this; Is anyone aware of any work that's been done to test the result of slapper detonators under vacuum? Or EFP performance when projected from enclosed vacuum evacuated chambers? As a general phenomenon?
I know that projectiles in the transonic range are boosted in velocity by nearly 3 times under equal energy conditions in vacuum evacuation vs ambient chambers. Would an evacuated slapper require lower current or possibly even voltage in theory?
Intuition tells me foil-velocity under normal energy would be increased (for slappers) or that impact energy could be maintained at lower input energy. I would assume in the case of projectiles, velocity would increase/ or be maintained at lower charge density or VOD, analogously.

I'd like to test this but was hoping someone with familiarity in that area could lend thoughts on this.

MineMan - 15-11-2020 at 16:27

How can the velocity increase by 3 times or the kinetic energy by 9 times... which just a 14psi difference!?

Hey Buddy - 18-11-2020 at 04:09

In a chamber and bore, under ambient pressure, a projectile that travels at say 800fps will fight ambient confined gasses within the bore during acceleration.. but the same mass with same accelerant will not fight the ambient pressures within the confinement of a bore under the condition of vacuum evacuation, raising its velocity past 2000fps-2300fps, depending on the weight of the mass, and other conditions. But altogether, it seems to be around 3x v in effect. Of course I haven't seen a lot of testing on this, so I'm not sure if it's scaleable down to magnitudes of say a foil slapper etc. Or if it would be approx true of a greater mass such in the case of a higher velocity energetic driven mass. This is the question.

I wonder if the phenomenon would hold true at the scale of a slapper, and then permit a lower energy input, or even have effects on something as simple as a standard detonator train or an efp train in a sealed vacuum evacuated condition.

I just bought 3 industrial vacuum pumps for $80 on craigslist.

[Edited on 18-11-2020 by Hey Buddy]

[Edited on 18-11-2020 by Hey Buddy]