Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Cyan

Umbrellaterm - 13-11-2020 at 12:40

Hello.

What’s the shelf life of potassium cyanide?
If I were to put it in a plastic bag, would it’s potency decrease if it was sealed there for let’s say 7 days?

Thank you for answering!

ArbuzToWoda - 13-11-2020 at 12:44

Well stored cyanides are stable indefinietly. Oxidation products like cyanates and isocyantes contribute to a tiny, tiny contamination, but that's negligible really.

Edit: And what do you mean by potency? Toxicity, amount of cyanide ions or what?

[Edited on 13-11-2020 by ArbuzToWoda]

Umbrellaterm - 13-11-2020 at 12:45

Quote: Originally posted by ArbuzToWoda  
Well stored cyanides are stable indefinietly. Oxidation products like cyanates and isocyantes contribute to a tiny, tiny contamination, but that's negligible really.

So if it was placed in a plastic bag vs a metal/glass container wouldn’t make a difference? Thank you.

Edit: On the potency; everything you mentioned including ions. I need to know it all.

[Edited on 13-11-2020 by Umbrellaterm]

ArbuzToWoda - 13-11-2020 at 12:50

No, it wouldn't matter. Truth be told, most commercial containers for salts like that are metal drums or plastic drums. Well, the toxicity is proportional to the amount of cyanide ions, that's the only thing that matters. Storing the cyanide in plastic will contribute to the same amount of decomposition as storing table salt in plastic ;)

Umbrellaterm - 13-11-2020 at 13:09

Quote: Originally posted by ArbuzToWoda  
No, it wouldn't matter. Truth be told, most commercial containers for salts like that are metal drums or plastic drums. Well, the toxicity is proportional to the amount of cyanide ions, that's the only thing that matters. Storing the cyanide in plastic will contribute to the same amount of decomposition as storing table salt in plastic ;)

Alright, great thanks again. If you don’t mind I pmed you on a another matter, it’s too many links so I rather take it over there! In the U2 thingy, I think that’s pm at least haha!