Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Recovering an old bottle of FeCl2

seilgu - 15-2-2021 at 07:04

There's a 500g bottle of FeCl2 that turned brown and yellow.
I'm looking for ways to turn it back to green FeCl2 crystals/solution without significant costs.

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/75762/why-woul...

According to this it's probably hydrated rust which is not solvable in water. I could add some HCl but I don't want to waste a lot of HCl on this cheap material. (If the chlorine is already in there why should I add more?)

If I just pour it all out and add water, can I expect the HCl remaining in the bottle to dissolve the iron oxides, then upon heating to drive out the water to give back FeCl2 ?

vano - 15-2-2021 at 07:09

I do not know how much you need this compound. But I was not wasting hydrochloric acid. It is also a question of how clean the product will be. With acid you can make a chloride solution at any time. If you can take a photo to understand what the situation is.

Bedlasky - 15-2-2021 at 07:19

Small amount of HCl and iron nails do the trick. Iron will reduce any Fe(III) to Fe(II).

[Edited on 15-2-2021 by Bedlasky]

ChemTalk - 15-2-2021 at 07:58

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
Small amount of HCl and iron nails do the trick. Iron will reduce any Fe(III) to Fe(II).

Came here to say the same thing. Steel wool will work too.

I purchased some FeSO4 once, and it turned light brown before it even arrived at my door.

unionised - 15-2-2021 at 11:00

I can't see why a simple recrystallisation wouldn't work.
The solubility curve isn't very good but it's easy to get round that.
Filtering the hot solution will strip out most of the Fe(III).
Adding a little HCl will probably help clean things up.

seilgu - 15-2-2021 at 22:03

I added a lot of HCl and a long nail but it seems to take forever. Also, do I have to use a lot of HCl for converting 500g of it?

Boffis - 16-2-2021 at 03:24

I use ferrous chloride as a reducing agent for aromatic nitro compounds but I have given up trying to prepare and store it in advance. I now prepare it as require by the method Bedlasky described. I have used up all of my old ferrous chloride and now use ferric chloride hexahydrate + HCl + soft iron nails.

ChemTalk - 19-2-2021 at 08:18

You should need very little HCl. Also the nail must be iron, and the outside of the nail should be iron, not rust / iron oxide. Personally I would try steel wool as it would have more surface area.

I find it very hard to keep Iron (II) around, I think the air in my area has a lot of oxygen in it, lol.

Quote: Originally posted by seilgu  

I added a lot of HCl and a long nail but it seems to take forever. Also, do I have to use a lot of HCl for converting 500g of it?