Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Alkali metals imported into australia and ♤♡◇♧BORDERFORCE♧◇♡♤

Panache - 4-4-2021 at 03:17

Anyone bought, and then brought, potassium, lithium, sodium or calcium metals nto australia.
What happened?

j_sum1 - 4-4-2021 at 04:02

Twice.
Both from Onyxmet in Poland.
One was 100g of Na. Arrived well sealed in an aluminium can.
Second was 100g of Ca which came in a plastic bag inside a paint-can style tin.

No issues either time.

draculic acid69 - 4-4-2021 at 05:07

I don't think you'll encounter any problems at all.
It's not a restricted or schedule Chem and isnt as
watched or red flagged as it has been made to seem.

greenlight - 4-4-2021 at 08:14

Yes, friend got sodium metal in a well sealed aluminium can

[Edited on 4-4-2021 by greenlight]

Panache - 4-4-2021 at 09:31

Well that is great. I was debating sending an email to borderforce , prior to arrival, just in case.
Im sure its not neccessary now.
Bit worried about the company name though, hopefully no one reads the details. Why on earth call your company 'Explosives, Drugs and more'.
That last bit was a joke.

Fyndium - 4-4-2021 at 10:33

Lol. I've had one package stopped "because the seller name catched our eye". The contents weren't, and the customs officer just laughed at the end.

The next time they sent the package with some very general cleaning product supplier name. I've known that some companies that supply other, non-chemistry related stuff all around EU that is legal in other but at least in the gray area in the other country have a selection of subsidiaries and addresses to divert the customs from stopping them, and when they get spotted, they change the details again.

greenlight - 4-4-2021 at 11:09

I wouldnt tell border force anything about anything.

They will look up sodium, see it reacts with air and violently with water and take it straight off you.

A lot of really enjoyable or super interesting chemistry is illegal and frowned upon. This is just sad considering the majority of us have no bad intentions at all.
Even if you have the knowledge and expertise to use the chemical compound completely safely that you have gained on your own from literature and learning lab techniques, you don't even get a say in the matter. Everyone gets classed into the bad intentions group of "shouldn't be trusted with it" and "what was he planning to do with it, surely something sinister". Unless of course you have a magical piece of paper or license from the government.

And if you do get caught, the media will make u look like an incompetent piece of shit too.
Storage of an ampoule of chlorine gas turns into "man has deadly ww2 poison gas that could kill innocent neighbours".

They would rather you spend your free time watching the latest program or sport game on the television so you use your brain at the level of a 12 year old and not cause any trouble.

[Edited on 4-4-2021 by greenlight]

draculic acid69 - 4-4-2021 at 16:38

U well and truly over exaggerated that greenlight.
Smile more you'll live longer. But I agree on one thing
Do not tell borderforce anything.that will just get
your metal withheld longer

greenlight - 5-4-2021 at 09:34

Hey, from mine and friends experiences, some countries for example Australia are a lot less trusting of their citizens with dangerous items and a lot more negatively judging of your use for said items compared to other countries like USA for example.

But at least we agree on not alerting the border force as that was the OP's question at hand.

[Edited on 5-4-2021 by greenlight]