Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Silver in hydrogen peroxide

vano - 13-7-2021 at 02:38

Hi, i made silver mirror reaction, then washed beaker and added concentrated H2O2, then silver dissolved. Solution was transparent. I did some tests, when i added sodium chloride silver chloride was formed. Next i boiled solution and when it dry it was white and it explode with noise sound. I think it is a peroxocompound of Silver. Does anyone know formula or reactions?

VeritasC&E - 13-7-2021 at 10:10

Could it be Silver(I,III) oxide + H2O2?

Silver is a known catalyst and peroxides are all quite sensitive.

It could also be copper in the silver if it's impure (forming CuO2 in its own right).

VeritasC&E - 13-7-2021 at 10:11

I think pretty much any metal impurities increases the instability of H2O2, Cu & Ag probably being amongst the most performant at it.

vano - 13-7-2021 at 10:50

Solution was clear. Also i dont know why it exploded. I know silver is catalyst in high concentrated peroxide decomposition process, but i think this situation is different.

woelen - 14-7-2021 at 00:50

Silver(I, III) oxide, Ag2O2, is dark grey, almost black. I have made that compound a few times. It cannot be made from H2O2, but it can be made from Na2S2O8, AgNO3, and very dilute HNO3.

I once observed the white solid, you mention, but it did not explode. I cleaned a tarnished piece of silver. I used dilute H2O2 at high pH for that and observed formation of a white layer on the metal, which was not easily removed from the metal. I did not heat the metal, I just let it dry on contact with air.

This sounds like an interesting find. Interesting to do some investigations on this. Maybe I find some time this weekend for that.

vano - 14-7-2021 at 06:17

What do you think what is this white compound ?

It explosion sound was like hydrogen explosion, very very fast. Also next i saw brown layes, i think it was oxide.

Triflic Acid - 14-7-2021 at 06:22

Silver oxide is grey, not brown. Might be copper contamination. What was your silver source? If it was bought from a jeweler, it might have been used to inquart gold, leaving the copper in the silver.

vano - 14-7-2021 at 06:54

Quote: Originally posted by Triflic Acid  
Silver oxide is grey, not brown. Might be copper contamination. What was your silver source? If it was bought from a jeweler, it might have been used to inquart gold, leaving the copper in the silver.

Yes you are right. It really had brown colour, but it was very thin layer. I did it at laboratory, silver nitrate was here, it was labgrade nitrate, not from sterling silver or such things.

Bezaleel - 14-7-2021 at 07:05

In my experiments with silver, I've seen that when silver chloride oxidises, it turns from white to yellow to brown and then to a very dark colour. So maybe your brown layer is a mixed oxide-chloride compound?

vano - 14-7-2021 at 07:24

I didn't have chloride anion in solution. But i think brown colour for oxide os possible and its depends on particles size.

Bezaleel - 14-7-2021 at 07:31

Oh, sorry, I read your first post as having silver, H2O2 and NaCl in solution.

A brown colour may also show up with a "black" compound if the layer is really thin. When silver tarnishes, it usually becomes brown first, and black when it tarnished further.

vano - 14-7-2021 at 07:35

Quote: Originally posted by Bezaleel  

A brown colour may also show up with a "black" compound if the layer is really thin. When silver tarnishes, it usually becomes brown first, and black when it tarnished further.

Yes i agree with you.