Sciencemadness Discussion Board

2021 Secret Santa - Sign up here

j_sum1 - 9-10-2021 at 03:11

My apologies that I am a few days late with this. There is a story behind that which i may well get to tell.

Here is the Secret Santa Sign-up form. Link.
By request, there are a couple of new questions this year.

Please sign up if possible before 25 October: I want to do allocations then so we all have plenty of time. After that date, I make no promises -- it will depend on how many latecomers there are and if we can organise a second group.

Have lots of fun this year.
Hohoho.

Questions, comments, and other related discussion can be added to this thread if needed.
J.

B(a)P - 9-10-2021 at 03:19

Thanks for organising this again j_sum1. I am only able to give this year as I don't have a fixed address. Can I sign up to give, but not receive please? It didn't look like it would work with the online form

Edit - typo

[Edited on 9-10-2021 by B(a)P]

j_sum1 - 9-10-2021 at 03:23

Did not think of that. Sure. But if you want to U2U me some details of your travels I may be able to organise something. Maybe even someone to visit while you are on the road. Who knows what is possible?

Just type "no fixed abode" in the box and I will understand what has happened.

[Edited on 9-10-2021 by j_sum1]

B(a)P - 9-10-2021 at 03:35

Thanks, I will give it some thought and get back to you, and fill out the form as you suggest. Cheers

Secret Santa

MadHatter - 10-10-2021 at 08:27

All signed up. Pair me up with someone at your convenience.

arkoma - 10-10-2021 at 10:31

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
D Maybe even someone to visit while you are on the road. Who knows what is possible?
[Edited on 9-10-2021 by j_sum1]

I'm participating, although I will be out of the country for six weeks starting on the 20th of November.

Which brings me to the above quote. I will be about 20 miles south of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Estados Unidos de Mexico and if there are any members in that area, would be jazzed for a "meet and greet". Will have a Mexican cell number at that time, and anyone that may be interested can U2U me.

valeg96 - 10-10-2021 at 13:14

Same. I'll be in france for the whole 2022 starting from late november 2021. Anyone in France wants to say hi we could meet somewhere!

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by valeg96]

charley1957 - 12-10-2021 at 13:30

In my Sign-up questionnaire I put 14/40 for the glassware size. Fat-finger syndrome. It was supposed to be 24/40. Looking forward to this!

[Edited on Oct10-12-2021 by charley1957]

j_sum1 - 12-10-2021 at 14:44

You should be able to edit your response, charley1957.
If not, let me know.

j_sum1 - 14-10-2021 at 15:38

Bump…

The weekend is a good time to sort out your preferences and sign up.
Sign-ups to date are approximately a third of last year's total. But I know that many regulars have not entered their details yet.
Two weeks to go.

Oxy - 14-10-2021 at 21:34

This year I can't participate as I am moving to other country and don't know if it's possible to run my lab there.
But I hope I will be able to join next year. Great idea

itsallgoodjames - 17-10-2021 at 16:02

I've signed up. I'm excited, I hope to be able to participate each year going forward. Also I've just realized, in the address box, I didn't write Canada, only "ON" for Ontario. I'm in Canada.

karlos³ - 22-10-2021 at 09:10

Semi secret santa :D

Signed up!
I had in mind it stops at the 23rd not 25th :o

I would prefer someone in europe if possible.
But I'll checked the worldwide box anyways.

[Edited on 22-10-2021 by karlos³]

j_sum1 - 23-10-2021 at 18:46

Bumping this again.
There is a significant number of people who have participated in the past and expressed interest in doing so again, who have not yet signed up. Time is running out.

That said, I am going to go a couple of days past the 25 October deadline I set. Work-related matters. (Big story. I might post in a separate thread.)

arkoma - 24-10-2021 at 07:11

c'mon folks! this is a really cool thing...........................

arkoma - 25-10-2021 at 19:07

bump

woelen - 25-10-2021 at 23:43

I'm also in again!

Tsjerk - 27-10-2021 at 11:09

Still time to sign in?

j_sum1 - 27-10-2021 at 13:47

Sorry for my tardiness. My week got torn to shreds. I know some of you are chomping at the bit.

You have 24 hours from this post to sign up. After that there may be a lstecomers' group depending on numbers.

j_sum1 - 30-10-2021 at 15:26

Processing the details right now.
Numbers are down on last year and there are a few who have regularly participated who have not signed up this year.
Form is still open so I can do a batch of latecomers -- assuming there are at least two.

Watch your U2U and email for details of your recipient.
J.

Secret Santa 2021

MadHatter - 3-11-2021 at 01:40

Just ordered for my Secret Santa recipient.

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL !

DraconicAcid - 3-11-2021 at 17:26

I think my Secret Santa present just arrived. That was fast. I guess I'd better get to shopping at some point.

Merci, Santa, er, Pere Noel!

My mistake- this is something else that I forgot that I was expecting. Carry on.....

[Edited on 4-11-2021 by DraconicAcid]

karlos³ - 4-11-2021 at 00:27

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
I think my Secret Santa present just arrived. That was fast. I guess I'd better get to shopping at some point.

Merci, Santa, er, Pere Noel!

My mistake- this is something else that I forgot that I was expecting. Carry on.....

[Edited on 4-11-2021 by DraconicAcid]

Its so exciting!
Can you imagine the rush I felt reading your post? :o
I also wanted to be early on, this week but this was a bit shocking :o

Also, again thank you very much for your suggestions, that was highly refined Au :-*

DraconicAcid - 4-11-2021 at 08:58

Imagine the rush I felt receiving it!

j_sum1 - 9-11-2021 at 02:22

Hey all.
I have had a couple of late sign-ups and one person who has unfortunately needed to pull out. I will send out U2Us to affected people tonight.
Looking forward to this: There are some real nice goodies being sent that i know of. i would love to be a fly on the wall when some of these get opened.

J.

[edit]
I should add that I have closed the form. So no more sign ups for this year.

[Edited on 9-11-2021 by j_sum1]

Secret Santa Recipient

MadHatter - 9-11-2021 at 13:24

Package on its way to my Secret Santa recipient as of
today, 3:37 PM EST. 1st class and I found the shipping,
to my surprise, to be VERY reasonable. Hopefully,
COVID-19 and shipping delays don't cause problems.
Keeping my fingers crossed. :D

woelen - 10-11-2021 at 00:13

I already received my Secret Santa present :) Thanks for the very fast preparation and shipping!
I now have something to do :D

Besides other things, tt contains a nice puzzle: actual chemicals, whose composition is unknown to me, and which I may determine. (fortunately the accompanying note mentions that these are not azides, cyanides, radioactive materials or illegal precursors).

DraconicAcid - 10-11-2021 at 13:19

Got mine ordered. We'll see when it gets there.

woelen - 11-11-2021 at 00:13

I also am waiting for an order, which I need to make a nice present for . . . :D

itsallgoodjames - 11-11-2021 at 05:47

As of a few hours ago, the package has been sent! :D

woelen - 13-11-2021 at 13:43

I had good progression with my Santa puzzle, the red and yellow ones I have determined with great certainty, without opening the sealed cheat sheets. The white one still keeps me puzzled (and puzzling :P )

[Edited on 13-11-21 by woelen]

Delivered

MadHatter - 17-11-2021 at 08:47

Tracking indicates that my Secret Santa recipient received the
gift this morning. 2 weeks from purchase to delivery. Excellent
considering the distance it had to travel. :D

[Edited on 2021/11/17 by MadHatter]

Herr Haber - 17-11-2021 at 14:01

Quote: Originally posted by MadHatter  
Tracking indicates that my Secret Santa recipient received the
gift this morning

[Edited on 2021/11/17 by MadHatter]

Oh it was morning allright ! Almost carried my pillow to the door :)
I was expecting metal bars from Russia so I wasnt surprised by the shape but by the weight.

My other eye opened and my mouth widened when I saw the actual content. Definitely not metal !
Thank you Santa ! It's a beautiful Davies condenser that will most definitely be used. Should I share a photo so soon in the season ?

j_sum1 - 17-11-2021 at 14:13

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Should I share a photo so soon in the season ?

Oh Yeah.

valeg96 - 20-11-2021 at 10:45

Thank you Santa ! It's a beautiful Davies condenser that will most definitely be used. Should I share a photo so soon in the season ?

You still have to identify last year's mystery chemical... Or did you manage? :D

DraconicAcid - 20-11-2021 at 13:43

https://elementdice.com/collections/

This might be a bit pricey for secret Santa, but it's a possible idea for those who haven't ordered yet. (Lead dice would be terrible, since they'd deform too easily, and aluminum just wouldn't have the weight, but copper, iron, and nickel would be very cool indeed.)

arkoma - 20-11-2021 at 19:19

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I already received my Secret Santa present :) (fortunately the accompanying note mentions that these are not azides, cyanides, radioactive materials or illegal precursors).

Always a plus lol. I pulled a challenge.....and was waiting on something when I left the country yesterday but have an elf at home to pack and send, then I can relay through the Chief Elf a note From Santa.

Good stuff. Not sure who gets more excited, MadHatter or myself!

Dr.Bob - 26-11-2021 at 05:11

Just to let people know, I have sent some bonus stocking stuffer packages to some of the people in Secret Santa this year, in addition to my actual secret Santa person. They are not all yet shipped, but if you get an extra Secret Santa package, don't be alarmed, it is not a big mistake, I am just trying to share more random scientific stuff with everyone. Not everyone will need the random mix of things, but hopefully this will insprire some people to be creative. Thanks to everyone who has helped me clear out some of this glassware from my garage, basement, attic, storage shed, etc. over the last few years, now I am trying to pay forward some of what my friend Ed did for me when he mentored me many years back. If there is anyone else in the US who did not get in Secret Santa in time, I have a package or two of random items left that I can send you, just let me know here or PM me, first come, first serve. Merry Christmas and happy chemistry to all.

woelen - 27-11-2021 at 09:54

I solved the puzzle from my secret santa!

Here you can see the solution I found, without opening the cheat sheets:

puzzle_solved.jpg - 2.9MB

I liked this puzzle. The white powder took me quite some time to find. I quickly had found out that it is a lead-compound, but finding the anion took much more effort.

After I made the pictures, I opened the cheat sheets. All of them are correct! The only thing is that I did not determine the hydration state of the sodium nitroprusside and I expected the lead arsenate to be Pb3(AsO4)2 instead of PbHAsO4.

puzzle_cheatsheets.jpg - 2.9MB

Edit(woelen): There seems to be something wrong with the forum software. On my PC the pictures are correctly upright, but in the preview they are bottom-up. If you click the pictures, then the full-size picture is displayed correctly.

[Edited on 27-11-21 by woelen]

j_sum1 - 27-11-2021 at 17:08

You did well with that challenge, woelen. I would not have gotten there.
A write up would be quite instructive and inspirational I think.

woelen - 30-11-2021 at 13:31

I'll make a write-up in a separate thread, tell something about the system I used to narrow down the set of remaining options and tell about some interesting reactions of these compounds, which I used to verify my hypothesis. I of course was limited by available reagents, so the methods I used may not be the most efficient ones.

[Edited on 30-11-21 by woelen]

Dr. Bob's Stocking Stuffers

MadHatter - 30-11-2021 at 14:43

Dr. Bob, thank you very much for the stocking stuffers. A relative
is looking at the 1 ml syringes. She is an insulin dependent diabetic.
Only thing is that the USPS apparently didn't handle this with a lot
of care. The 250 ml Kimax Erlenmeyer flask is in pieces. It seems
this time of the year they handle packages like they're handling a
football. :mad:
LOVE THAT LARGE REAGENT BOTTLE !!! That'll come in
handy. The test tubes and pipettes are great also. :D

Still looking for humorous cards from Maine. I'll find something. I'm
hoping it's as funny as last year's "bear treat" cards. Don't laugh.
The bears came into the yard this last summer. Paw prints all over
the place. Looking for that smorgasbord I guess.

Thanks Again !

DraconicAcid - 30-11-2021 at 16:03

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I'll make a write-up in a separate thread, tell something about the system I used to narrow down the set of remaining options and tell about some interesting reactions of these compounds, which I used to verify my hypothesis. I of course was limited by available reagents, so the methods I used may not be the most efficient ones.

[Edited on 30-11-21 by woelen]

I'm surprised you got reagents instead of various glass frits. I thought the Dutch always got Sinter Glass this time of year.

karlos³ - 30-11-2021 at 16:12

Well, in five days its sinter glass, but I think the dutch spell glass like "klaas".
I don't know what the black dude got to do with it though(I think his name is peter), its totally confusing to me they celebrate glass frits and not saint niklas on that day :o

[Edited on 1-12-2021 by karlos³]

woelen - 2-12-2021 at 12:43

The word "klaas" comes from the name of Saint Niklas. In Dutch this is Sint Nicolaas, and Sint Nicolaas, if pronounced quickly, sounds like "Sint 'n klaas". From this, the word " sinterklaas" is formed.

The black guy is black, because he goes throughg a chimney, and soot from the chimney makes him black. In Dutch this person is called " Zwarte Piet", which can be translated as "Black Peter". Since a few years, there is some controversy about Zwarte Piet, because some people consider his presence a mockery of black people. In some places, hence, Sinterklaas is not celebrated anymore with Black Peter, but with e.g. Rainbow Peter or other colored persons. The festival now slowly transforms/evolves due to this kind of concerns. But the evening of the 5th of December will remain the time of the year when people give presents to each other and make funny surprises and poems for each other. Giving presents on Christmas Eve is done by some people in the Netherlands, but I think that the majority celebrates the 5th of December and Christmas then is a religious thing, or just a nice and pleasant family thing, being together.

I take all three aspects :D : presents with Sinterklaas, celebrating the birth of Christ with Christmas and being together with friends and family and doing nice things together with Christmas as well
*unfortunately corona makes the latter thing quite difficult, with everything shut down and limitations on the number of people who may be together*

DraconicAcid - 2-12-2021 at 12:57

All this talk of Dutch traditions, and nobody even acknowledges that fantastic pun. Sigh.....

karlos³ - 2-12-2021 at 14:03

My dear DraconicAcid :D
I got it, but I thought it was just too obvious :P

Its like I've seen the same joke in the summer on here!
Or elsewhere, no idea.
But I have not seen it for the first time, I still laughed, be assured :)

I attached a picture of the zwarte piet from the seventies, all funky and stuff, driving st. niklas to the sinterklaas festivities probably.

zwarte piet driving st niklas in time to sinterklaas with sintered frits.jpg - 26kB

E2: woelen, even more lovely I received it in time, you could have easily waited three weeks longer for me last year :D
I actually did not knew you exchange the majority of presents (E3: I wrote prisons instead of presents, don't ask what was going through my mind) that early!
I thought we would be early, doing it on the 24th, from the american perspective.
But thats just a day.

[Edited on 2-12-2021 by karlos³]

[Edited on 2-12-2021 by karlos³]

Syn the Sizer - 3-12-2021 at 17:34

Hey,

I just thought I would say, I saw in my email from j_sum1 that my email address had ,com instead of .com, not sure if that was on my end when signing up or unique to my email when j_sum1 was entering the info.

Since I have not yet heard from my Secret Santa I thought maybe they also had the typo and figured I would mention that here.

If that is not the case I will patiently wait for word from Santa.

Thanks
Syn'

P.S.
I did get some socks in the mail that I did not order, maybe these were my Science Madness Secret Santa gift?

j_sum1 - 3-12-2021 at 19:34

I have it on good authority...

Source of Syn the Sizer's Science Socks is Secret Santa.

Syn the Sizer - 3-12-2021 at 19:51

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I have it on good authority...

Source of Syn the Sizer's Science Socks is Secret Santa.

Awesome, thanks for the update.

arkoma - 4-12-2021 at 03:26

I just realized I have my email address wrong in my profile . oops. correcting now.............

karlos³ - 4-12-2021 at 14:12

If I ever hit up for anyone from north america, I will order something to them from inside the country :o

But most important is, that I hope my receipee is happy about his presents :)
Genuinely from my country!

j_sum please do not ever put me to an US-american, just give me a canadian instead(it just costs rounded 18€ instead of 38€.....) thank you very much :D

I am not complaining at all, its my own fault, I know what I put into my application :D

But damn, interatlantic postage became so fucking expensive, thats not normal!
I sent parcels to US-america for less than ten bucks just ten years ago???(I believe).
I even send a letter with stuff in it to canada for just 3,50€(only thanks to the postal ladies, of whom 3/5 always get flirtatious with me... might contributed to the fact? Syn! confirm! :P).

Syn the Sizer - 4-12-2021 at 14:40

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  

I even send a letter with stuff in it to canada for just 3,50€(only thanks to the postal ladies, of whom 3/5 always get flirtatious with me... might contributed to the fact? Syn! confirm! :P).

Absolutely, the package was received in good time too.

karlos³ - 4-12-2021 at 15:00

Quote: Originally posted by Syn the Sizer  

Absolutely, the package was received in good time too.

Thank you :P

Oh man, why did interatlantic postage became so expensive?

Is it the same for interpacific postage?
I would guess so.
Never send anything to the land of Oz.

Man, canada is cooler that the states.
Everyone knows that, but at the post office it becomes truth written in numbers :P

[Edited on 4-12-2021 by karlos³]

Syn the Sizer - 4-12-2021 at 16:58

Everyone knows that, but at the post office it becomes truth written in numbers :P

Canada thanks you for your kind words, lol.

karlos³ - 4-12-2021 at 17:07

Canada thanks you for your kind words, lol.

Reminds me of the south park episode(or was it the move?) where they wajt to sing a kind and peaful anthem... and then start to sing the canadian anthem :D

No jk 9/10 off the canadians I know are totally chill and cool
10/10 of those I call friends.

Syn the Sizer - 4-12-2021 at 17:38

Lol, don't let us fool you, we are assholes at heart.

DraconicAcid - 5-12-2021 at 10:47

I know that's not always the case. I ordered a book from Europe a number of years ago, and it cost over $80 in postage because "Canada doesn't have a book rate". It would have been cheaper at the time to send it to the USA, and drive to Seattle to pick it up.

karlos³ - 5-12-2021 at 12:07

The postage system did absolutely became insanely expensive and illogical over the last years, especially the last 2 years.
I hear that from many others.
It does make barely any sense in certain cases.

In other cases its still, or almost, normal.

[Edited on 5-12-2021 by karlos³]

charley1957 - 12-12-2021 at 19:08

Dr. Bob, I received my Secret Santa bonus package almost two weeks ago. You must have been reading my mind. Several items in the package were on my order list. Thanks so much! Such a great variety of stuff! Don’t know how you hit the nail so square on the head. Thanks again!

Herr Haber - 17-12-2021 at 01:56

I am not complaining at all, its my own fault, I know what I put into my application :D

But damn, interatlantic postage became so fucking expensive, thats not normal!
I sent parcels to US-america for less than ten bucks just ten years ago???(I believe).

Same here. Parcel was ready a long time ago but I went back home with it when I was told it was 60 or 120 Eu for 2 kg.
No budget service anymore, only premium. What good is the regular post if it's the same price as UPS or FedEx ?
Package is on the way now and should arrive next week.

Another hint for the customs declaration: mark as gift with 1$ value otherwise your recipient may end up paying taxes. In my case, as much as the sender fee :-/

Still... it was all worth it and I'm quite happy with myself. I've personnalized the gift as much as I could but with a little bit more anticipation it could have been even funnier.

Dear Santa recipient, I'll explain after you get the parcel ! :)

Syn the Sizer - 20-12-2021 at 18:00

I got what I am guessing is another Secret Santa gift. It is a bunch of nice dark silver coloured crystals. The cystals themselves seemed to grow in plates. Not 100% sure what the metal is but looks really cool.

Thanks to my Secret Santa

Syn'

Syn the Sizer - 21-12-2021 at 09:44

I said dark silver, but more grey. After comparing images of other metal crystals I am leaning towards it being Pb crystals. They are fairly easy to bend through the bang, but being unsure of what it is I have not touched it outside the bag, waiting until I find my gloves.

If most of my chem stuff wasn't packed away or in another town I would try a few experiments.

Syn'

Syn the Sizer - 21-12-2021 at 13:14

Upon further research, they resemble vanadium crystals in shape, but no pretty oxide colours. I will resize the crappy photos I have and upload them. My phone camera sucks now, maybe dropped a few too many times.

metal_crystals_1.jpg - 913kB metal_crystals_2.jpg - 861kB metal_crystals_3.jpg - 719kB

[Edited on 21-12-2021 by Syn the Sizer]

karlos³ - 21-12-2021 at 13:29

I received mine, and mine received his just in time, very shortly ago I see :)

All is well.

I can't fucking wait to see what I got! :D

@Syn, you marked the box for mystery chemical or what?

[Edited on 21-12-2021 by karlos³]

Syn the Sizer - 21-12-2021 at 13:34

You are waiting until Christmas, Good man.

Mine has definitely received 2 of their gifts, the 3rd one is stuck in BC, I didn't realize the floods were still that bad there. Or maybe another disaster.

I can't wait until they receive their 3rd gift, I like giving gifts more then receiving them I think lol.

@Syn, you marked the box for mystery chemical or what?
[Edited on 21-12-2021 by karlos³]

Nope, I think it was a shipper mistake, it was purchased as a sample but marked DIY Toy on the package. I have a feeling the shipper forgot to put the relevant info inside the package, I don't mind, I think they look cool.

[Edited on 21-12-2021 by Syn the Sizer]

DraconicAcid - 21-12-2021 at 13:43

Pretty, pretty crystals.

It wasn't labelled anywhere at all?

[Edited on 21-12-2021 by DraconicAcid]

Syn the Sizer - 21-12-2021 at 14:59

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Pretty, pretty crystals.

It wasn't labelled anywhere at all?

[Edited on 21-12-2021 by DraconicAcid]

Nope, the bag says DIY Toy, which I often see or similar on imported packages of chemicals.
I think the shipper forgot to put a paper in or something when packaging the product.
Maybe Santa will smile on me and tell j_sum1 what they are.

karlos³ - 21-12-2021 at 15:06

You are waiting until Christmas, Good man.

I always behave (pffft... I spew water everywhere because I had to laugh :D).

By the way, I paid more or less the same for receiving mine as I paid for sending mine off :o

We need to figure some universal guidelines out for transcontinental shipping, to make it less costly.
Those are recent changes (I sent stuff to the states much cheaper years ago!) and we need to adapt, otherwise it would have a deterring effect on future SM-SS.

Innereuropean, and possibly inneramerican, it is likely much cheaper(yeah, in-oz/in-oceanical, too, did not want to exclude you guys ;)).
We need guidelines to keep the tax/financial effect on both sender and receiver as small as possible, and potential custom issues as low as possible, too.

The postal system should have gotten much cheaper, with all the extra business they got over the last two years, but instead....
Nah I do not want to vent.

I just wanted to initiate a fruitful discussion about how to keep the expenses, which do not benefit the recipient, as low as possible.
That would be good for us all.
As actually, I am a bit deterred myself from the cost of transatlantic shipping, damn!
Five years ago that would have cost a fifth of that, at most! :o

But I would like to continue the transcontinental shipping, and not by the relatively lame "ordering from the recipients location", but by sending something truly local :)
Like, who got the kangaroo jerky once? :D
Thats what this is all about, for me.

I really could not believe the price at the post office.
Same after receiving :D

We need to figure some guidelines out by the help of our competent transcontinental shipping members, which will help to keep the unneccesary expenses to a minimum or eliminate them completely.
There are sufficient tricks to do this, but we should collect them.

Just my opinion on that.
What do you guys think?
A few general points, put together?
We do not want to end up with three separate SS-circles, american, european, oceanica, and it would be important to allow those who are for example studying, to participitate without being restricted to their continent.
If that trend continues.
Lets not forget they are overwhelmed with postage currently, and that the proper way to save money is simply to fill out the form in the proper manner.

Man, I can not believe how insanely expensive transcontinental shipping has become, this simply puzzles me :o

Syn the Sizer - 21-12-2021 at 19:18

Yah, inter-America shipping is more or less consistent. Many things I order from the US have the same shipping costs regardless of destination being Canada or US, or if they are different it is a few buck and my guess is that is to cover customs fees. For the most part either USPS hands the deliveries to Canada post at the boarder or companies like UPS, FedEx, Purolater just drive/fly across the boarder to their Canadian offices. No real extra expenses aside from customs. But going over seas adds many extra fees for some reason

arkoma - 21-12-2021 at 19:32

Quote:
Like, who got the kangaroo jerky once?

The kangaroo jerky would have been me :D

This last (disastrous) trip to Mexico screwed me up in getting mine out but I've let them know I'll ship on the first.

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by arkoma]

Syn the Sizer - 22-12-2021 at 16:46

Interesting, Kangaroo Jerky, I have always been curious of kangaroo.

j_sum1 - 22-12-2021 at 17:00

Interesting, Kangaroo Jerky, I have always been curious of kangaroo.

Kangaroo is a lot like venison. Lean. Flavoursome. Great in stews. Great as a steak, medium rare. Tough and unpalettable for anything in between.
Stands to reason really. The two animals have a lot of physiological similarities and biologically, occupy a very similar ecological niche, including dietary similarities and predator evasion strategies.

I am not sure what to do with the shipping cost problems. I have given the choice and most people have opted to go close to home. The past three years there have basically been three non-intersecting groups with few exceptions. Sorry you got stung, karlos.
I am going to recommend drop-shipping. Shipping from China is usually cost-effective to any part of the world. Also, cards, postcards and other envelope-sized things are always appreciated and do ship easily. I have also had some good success drop-shipping within the country of the recipient. I organised something really nice from a UK company to a UK recipient once and that worked out well. The only problem is that the company did not do international shipping at all and I really wanted one for myself.
I guess my point is that there are not easy solutions from an organisational standpoint. But there are things that you can do with a little effort and creativity

Shipping

MadHatter - 22-12-2021 at 19:45

I guess I got lucky. I shipped to my Secret Santa recipient 1st class USPS.
From Maine to Europe was $24.50. I don't consider this expensive for less
than 2 LBS. But a post I've seen here is showing 30+ euro for the
opposite direction ? Always a greedy asshole somewhere ! :mad:

I hope it works out for everyone.

Syn the Sizer - 22-12-2021 at 19:49

Wow that is pretty good, I shipped 900g from Saskatchewan to Ontario vis Canada Post last spring and it cost me $28CAD, domestic shipping for me was basically the same as international over seas shipping for you.

Edit:
Sorry 1362g which is 3lbs.

Syn'

[Edited on 23-12-2021 by Syn the Sizer]

valeg96 - 24-12-2021 at 02:20

I have received a box from Germany, but I'm not at home so I can't open it myself for now. Thank you!

karlos³ - 24-12-2021 at 04:10

Quote: Originally posted by MadHatter  
I guess I got lucky. I shipped to my Secret Santa recipient 1st class USPS.
From Maine to Europe was $24.50. I don't consider this expensive for less
than 2 LBS. But a post I've seen here is showing 30+ euro for the
opposite direction ? Always a greedy asshole somewhere ! :mad:

I hope it works out for everyone.
Well, actually the post office lady in my case was very clueless and easily could have looked that up before, and I could repack it a bit differently and could have saved more than half the shipping costs, I found out.
Mine definitely was above these measures, so it got into the higher price class which was .... ~37€.
But it was also above 2kg's.
Which could also have prevented.
I used DHL, but I guess it was the right choice for being on time still.

But could you specify who you mean with the greedy asshole?
The postal service, or me, or what do meant with this? :o
"Showed" as in, I put that on the shipping papers? Of course not then!
I did not put any burden for anything on the receiver.
I paid it, and only grinded my teeth a little doing so, but not because of greed, but because, well, studying.
If I came over as greedy for that reaction then I'm sorry.
Or what did you mean?

Doesn't matter, it got there in time and I just wanted to express my absolute failure to understand(failure to look it up and failure of said post lady, somewhat) how there is no smaller or cheaper parcel size to the states.
Yeah.
But that was not true, I don't know why I believed that woman, but yeah it was lazyness probably.
Before sending not to look it up, and after, for not checking what I've been told.
Not proud on it actually.

The next smallest price class is similar to that from USPS though, even cheaper, up to 2kg, min. 15 x 11 x 1 cm, maximum length + width + depth = 90cm
Damn... and this would have been only 16€.
According to them online.
And, mhm, could this have sufficed, by weight, yeah, maybe, volume, mhmm...
The post office lady though claimed something different... well, well.
Even mixed something up.
There even is a smaller size, but maximum height at one side 3cm, less than 9€.
And she gave me these measures and claimed the 16€'s?
I already said this would not have happened with "my" postal ladies, oh no, they would have sent me back home, likely would have eagerly provided me with an empty parcel of appropriate size too.

But well, lessons that can be felt in the wallet are the most valuable ones, as we all now :D
I actually do not have any place to complain aboout this at all(not a complain, just expressing my shock about the seemingly unreasonably different price), but I could even have adjusted that easily if I just had done this four days earlier as I originally planned.
Oh damn.

But damn!
This will be immensely helpful, that means I can trade reagents with one of my ami pals!
He got a similar price quotation in the range of almost 40$ from there to here too, no idea what postal service though.
Although we also aimed above 2kg's, thats probably the reason.

I still haven't opened mine, I haven't even seen it yet, or received it(sent it to the family, who have it, I even paid the customs fee demanded to at least have a first look at it from distance, but no....
I will do so in the evening though :)

I am very excited :)

Greedy

MadHatter - 24-12-2021 at 11:22

Greedy assholes - shippers taking advantage of Christmas/COVID-19.
They exist.

karlos³ - 24-12-2021 at 12:45

Oh... that makes sense, not even thought of this.

I finally could look into my senders parcel, oh wow!
Exactly what I wished for, so great... I wish here were more suitable lamps to place them dinosaurs under..

Yeah, because I got fluorescent plastic dinosaurs!
I had one among the normal plastic dinos as a kid... now I have... a lot, and I already had put some of the already charged ones here and there, all hidden, even in plain sight, now I just have to wait until its night :D
I guess the joy over these will be quickly over when someone, most likely me, accidentally steps into one of the sharper ones... or such, so I am enjoying it while it lasts! :D

Oh yeah, and the triphenylphosphine I wished for too, which is really great because the stuff we ordered but was not in stock, turned out to not be restocked ever again.
How great I waited until today :)

I have no idea who mine could be though... there's way too many of you coming from that state to guess... but whoever you are, thank you very much, I am delighted :)

violet sin - 24-12-2021 at 15:13

Amongst much else, was this beauty(!), I was definitely pleased. Not much time to show everything,

16403848058299125301751024888453.jpg - 3MB

Headed out to the coast for Christmas Eve, lots to do. I also received some 3 prong clamps and various glass vials, tubes, plastic snap top vials. It was real nice. Thank you so much Dr. Bob. Hard not to know who it was from when I've bought from you numerous times :)

Merry Christmas one and all. Hope my recipient enjoys all that's been sent. Not saying when, but I know it's/has been, at your door step. I'll check back in later to see how y'all be doing. Till then, have a wonderful evening, hopefully with family and good cheer. Not to mention safely, don't need people losing family members!! That sux :( RIP, I love you MOM ;( ;(

j_sum1 - 24-12-2021 at 18:24

Sweet Geiger counter. That looks like it will be fun, VS.
Take care on the road and have a great tkme with the fam.

valeg96 - 25-12-2021 at 06:49

The hardest part with shipping is that there are countless options and couriers, but you ain't going to find the best one at the post office, because the workers are clueless and will only offer standard services from your national post system.

You should all check if there is a web service in your country like Packlink for Italy that allows you to send mail via lots of different providers and can arrange pick ups at your address. I sound like a sponsor lmao but I regularly trade stuff with friends over mail and when they go to the post office they spend 16€ when I can get away with 9€ and get a quicker and easier service. You just need a printer, a ruler and a scale, and arrange for a drop off point or a pick up date at your address. Sometimes size and weight categories are different for different providers, so finding a website that compares all the options and allows you to print a label and pay with paypal is great. Last time I had to send a box to the US (40€+ with national post) I found a small courier service that did the same for 20€ or something through this service. If I had gone to the post office they would have skinned me alive.

Shipping

MadHatter - 25-12-2021 at 16:23

My brother-in-law is still waiting on 2 items ordered the 1st week
of this month and this is domestic. I had better luck shipping to
Europe. BTW, shirt and a notebook my sister and brother-in-law
gave me for Christmas:
ERLENMEYERS-A.jpg - 598kB CHEMISTRY-A.jpg - 719kB

arkoma - 27-12-2021 at 09:49

Due to financial (among other) troubles mine ain't getting mailed til the first (Been in touch so no disappointments), but mine got here TODAY YAY, From Evidently somewhere close to the French /Spanish frontier". Have a "Martini Kit"--Vermouth and Olives, just add gin/vodka, some cockles, limestone from the PARIS CATACOMBS, a piece of teflon sheet, AND a 200ml(ain't measured yet) Glass Pressure Reactor bottle. w00t w00t!!!

Santa, how could you have known a pressure reactor was on my list?

No pics of a sample of sand but it's white and from the mine in the bottom pic.
2021-12-27-103235.jpg - 165kB 2021-12-27-103429.jpg - 174kB 2021-12-27-103023.jpg - 184kB

french sand mine.jpg - 128kB

[Edited on 12-27-2021 by arkoma]

j_sum1 - 27-12-2021 at 13:50

Awedome, arkoma

I can't remember who your Santa us, but job well done.

Metacelsus - 27-12-2021 at 15:26

Huh, I wonder how they got that limestone out of the catacombs.

violet sin - 28-12-2021 at 01:25

Here's the other stuff I neglected to post... Because we it takes a while to get out.

16406831614634172442140083960589.jpg - 3.3MB

Good grief what a beautiful sight, and ohh so much thanks goes out to Dr.Bob!! Not only was he my Santa, he helped me play Santa to my recipient. You helped on both ends and I am grateful. I hope your Christmas was indeed a wonderful one with family. Sorry for the delay in proper recognition for your kind gesture.

Dear Secret Santa

basement - 2-1-2022 at 09:28

Dear Secret Santa,

excuse my late response. I was visiting family and could only now open your gift. Although initially confused by the listing in your letter, my confusion turned into astonishment reading further. You're a very generous Santa but don't need to be more than you already were!
I was not only pleased by your selection of reagents (for everyone curious: potassium chromate, ammonium dichromate, sodium dichromate, sodium sulfide, trioxane fuel tabs) but by your selection of edible products (love stroopwafels!).
I'm enjoying it right now :)

I will get to your homework too, preparing pure trioxane by sublimation of the OTC fuel tabs. I love some beautiful crystals (but who doesn't?). What a nice idea to include an experiment like that :)

I wish you a happy and healthy New Year!

[Edited on 2-1-2022 by basement]

Herr Haber - 6-1-2022 at 11:17

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

Santa, how could you have known a pressure reactor was on my list?

Santa didnt know :)
(But he did chuckle imagining the end result of the extraction of some funky plant in that flask though).

You missed one teflon item ! Well, four actually ;)
The PTFE clamps should be the last ones you will ever need. They dont corrode, will still work around 200c and were a unobtainium for me for a long time so I was happy to share this find.
They are superior in every way to the disposable plastic ones and click nicely in place (non stick!) compared to steel ones.

If anyone is interested, ask your suppliers if they carry
http://www.cowie.com/

Fun fact: discovered them at the end of Covid year 0. Cowie, Covid. Ok that's dumb...

Quote: Originally posted by Metacelsus  
Huh, I wonder how they got that limestone out of the catacombs.

I looked at my map and had two options to get as close as I could to the Cybele mass, deposit, vein I dont know the english word.

Why that place in particular ? Because Cybele (Ceres) holds the secrets of the earth !

I didnt want to crawl all the way under the insane asylum to the closest point arriving from the north.
Instead, being a lazy bum I chose the walk in the park from the south. Litterally. They put a park there to hide the quarry area that later had turned into slums.

I usually leave rocks as "gifts" under the pillow when I'm invited to stay with friends who are into mines, quarries, speleology, bunkers and all that.
Normally I dont need to go get them. We put stones in each others bags as a joke to see how far will the rock travel. Some travel all the way back to home...

[Edited on 6-1-2022 by Herr Haber]

Dr.Bob - 10-1-2022 at 18:46

I want to thank arkoma for the box of goodies I got. It took me a few days to get to the package, but there was food, some folk art, and his packing peanuts were pecans, instead of vials and platic bits like I often use. I will have to get my wife, the baker to make something with them, I am not the best baker, but a good cook otherwise, but my wife does the baking. Thanks again for a fun Christmas and New Year. And thanks to Jsum and many others for making the SS program to much fun.

j_sum1 - 10-1-2022 at 18:54

Arkoma's pecans are legendary.

arkoma - 11-1-2022 at 16:18

packing pecans

valeg96 - 26-1-2022 at 11:09

I had my parents open the package for me because, as some of you know, I moved to France to work as an assistant researcher.

My secret santa sent me some chocolates (which my father promptly ate because "they will expire") and some chemicals, including a mystery chemical I will try to identify. I am not sure of what's exactly in the box because, well, the average boomer is unable to take photos with their phone, so I just saw some blurry random vials.

I can see some hydrated FeCl3, some beta-naphthylmethylketone and some ethylamine HCl. Nice!

Thank you a lot, and sorry for the super late public feedback!

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-15 at 14.41.22.jpeg - 133kB

Herr Haber - 1-2-2022 at 12:10

Thank you Santa-hatter for that Davies.
The note was spot on too ! Space is scarce in the lab so that condenser will probably save me from using the 60cm in the picture.

Sorry for the quality of the pic. Believe me when I say it's a beauty :)

Above: 60cm Liebig
Middle: 30 cm Liebig
Below: 30 cm Davies

IMG_3523.JPG - 62kB

Better Picture

MadHatter - 1-2-2022 at 19:15

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=71645&...
Better picture from an earlier post. Post dated: 2021/11/8. Click on picture for better view.

Glad you like it ! Priced a triple-jacket condenser. EGADS !!! $2480 USD from
Sigma-Aldrich. What would somebody use that for ?

Picture for the curious: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/product/aldrich/z422274

[Edited on 2022/2/2 by MadHatter]

j_sum1 - 1-2-2022 at 19:41

Thank you Santa-hatter for that Davies.
The note was spot on too ! Space is scarce in the lab so that condenser will probably save me from using the 60cm in the picture.

Sorry for the quality of the pic. Believe me when I say it's a beauty :)

Above: 60cm Liebig
Middle: 30 cm Liebig
Below: 30 cm Davies

That's a lovely condenser. I am sure you will enjoy using it.
Job well done, Santa.

Shipping Locations

MadHatter - 2-2-2022 at 23:02

This order adds to my list of countries I've shipped to. All to members on this
board. Current list: Canada,France, Sweden, United Kingdom. I've never had a
problem. In fact the USPS has screwed up domestic shipping. I sent, in separate
packages, 3 loaves of locally made french bread to my Dad right before
Christmas. 2 of them arrived fine. The 3rd loaf was so late that it was green and
hard as a brick by the time it arrived. This problem occurred at the destination
post office - Baltimore, Maryland. They're notorious for fucking up the mail. Any
other U.S. members had problems with their local post office ?