Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Sn + HNO3 => Sn(NO3)2 - tin(II) nitrate

vmelkon - 26-11-2021 at 11:21

Hello,
What happens when you put some tin in nitric acid?
Maybe with a conc of between 1 to 10 M.
Does [[Sn3(OH)4]2](+) [NO3](-) form in water? Does it decompose forming SnO?

Wikipedia does not document tin(II) nitrate.
There is only tin(IV) nitrate.
Another site, a forum, mentions that dry tin(II) nitrate can’t be prepared but you can have Sn(NO3)2.20 H2O

There is this page
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/002016...
but that is a single page preview.

Bedlasky - 26-11-2021 at 11:42

Tin reacts with nitric acid to produce hydrous SnO2. You cannot produce any tin nitrate in aqueous solution.

I once analysed some Sn-Pb-Cu alloy. I dissolved it in nitric acid, filter off SnO2.xH2O and by strong heating converted it to anhydrous SnO2. Pb was determined as PbSO4 and Cu by iodometry.

vmelkon - 26-11-2021 at 16:58

Actually, I am trying to separate some Sn-Cu-Ag alloy.
HCl dissolves the Sn. What is left is a red powder that slowly produces bubbles, so I assume it still contains some tin.
My plan was to use HNO3 to dissolve this powder but looks like some insoluble yellow white substance formed, so I think this is the SnO2.

S.C. Wack - 26-11-2021 at 18:10

With cooling and an excess of acid diluted with at least 3/4 volume of water, tin is said to give a colorless solution of stannous nitrate...and ammonium nitrate, which are not particularly separable or isolated as such. Hydrolysis products would depend on all of the variables...it is said that the yellow-white substance is a mixture of white stannic nitrate and a yellow basic stannic nitrate.