Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Lab vs hardware store acetone.

CycloRook - 14-2-2022 at 05:09

I remember buying reagent acetone for lab and it smelling sweet and clean. I just bought some acetone from the hardware store and it definitely works but the smell it's definitely different. It smells like it has a heavy petroleum added to it like hexane. Does anyone know why this might be.

Deathunter88 - 14-2-2022 at 09:09

Where are you located? In the USA Kleanstrip, Sunnyside, Jasco and Crown all make excellent purity hardware store acetone. In other parts of the world the industrial grade acetone may or may not contain a significant portion of hydrocarbons.

Texium - 14-2-2022 at 09:23

Yeah, I even got a proton NMR of Crown acetone once and it was undeniably pure (and dry). I'm sure all the other brands that Deathunter mentioned source their product from the same factories/same process.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=10...

[Edited on 2-14-2022 by Texium]

j_sum1 - 14-2-2022 at 20:44

Here in Aus, acetone seems to be full of crap. But it distils quite well and I have not had any issue using the distillate. (Not that I have done anything ambitious.) It does appear to be quite dry, which is something.

If in doubt, distil.

sauveurdumonde - 15-2-2022 at 04:27

Here in Canada, you can buy nail polish remover advertised as 100% acetone. Smells sort of "sweet" at small concentrations. No residue left behind when burned. Distills just fine.

RustyShackleford - 15-2-2022 at 10:40

The way acetone is industrially manufactured doesnt leave much room for contamination, any contaminant is likely to be added afterwards. If its really cheap in a larger quantity (like cans and jugs), its probably right from the factory nozzle.

CycloRook - 15-2-2022 at 16:00

Kleen strip

CycloRook - 15-2-2022 at 22:17

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
Where are you located? In the USA Kleanstrip, Sunnyside, Jasco and Crown all make excellent purity hardware store acetone. In other parts of the world the industrial grade acetone may or may not contain a significant portion of hydrocarbons.
according to klean strip MSDS it does in fact contain 100% acetone.