Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Essence of Smurf reappears

Paddywhacker - 15-5-2022 at 21:52

Diazo compounds mentioned here.

Keras - 15-5-2022 at 23:05

I obtained a beautiful blue compound by steam distilling the tar after a (failed?) phenol nitrosation. While the first thing to steam distill was yellow, the next batch gave something entirely different. I suspect this can be a diazo compound formed by reacting p-nitrosophenol with excess sodium nitrite.

[Edited on 16-5-2022 by Keras]

IMG_1034.JPG - 610kB

j_sum1 - 16-5-2022 at 16:20

Not the same as chemplayer's essence of smurf. I will add a link to his bitchute vid if I get a chance.
IIRC it was something of a toxic brew and definitely not something to treat carelessly.

clearly_not_atara - 16-5-2022 at 18:23

IIRC most nitroso compounds are blue. You could just be looking at something like 3-nitroso-p-benzoquinone monoxime?

Keras - 16-5-2022 at 21:38

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
IIRC most nitroso compounds are blue. You could just be looking at something like 3-nitroso-p-benzoquinone monoxime?

That could well be. If there’s any identification reaction you'd like me to perform on it, please go ahead by all means.

For the time being, I let the compound dry in a cool, ventilated place away from sunlight. Sunlight which tends to discolour the compound into a blue/green/grey tinge (cf. picture). I suspect very few solid will come out of it, at most a few mg.

IMG_1036.JPG - 1.1MB

wg48temp9 - 17-5-2022 at 00:59

Perhaps its indophenol blue. Try reducing the blue you have to see if it compares to the color of reduced indophenol blue below.

bigindoblue-Capture.JPG - 37kB
From wiki

Keras - 17-5-2022 at 01:20

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  
Perhaps its indophenol blue. Try reducing the blue you have to see if it compares to the color of reduced indophenol blue below.
From wiki

Interesting. I’ll try reducing it using sodium sulfite. Thanks for chiming in!