Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Comfort level with dimethyl sulfate

6dthjd1 - 26-9-2022 at 10:08

Are you/would you be comfortable working with boiling dimethyl sulfate outdoors?

Texium - 26-9-2022 at 10:37

No. Dimethyl sulfate is pretty high up on the "nope" list for me in the absence of a good fume hood. Especially if it's boiling.

What reaction are you trying to do?

6dthjd1 - 26-9-2022 at 10:43

it was already done 4 years ago. the reaction of sodium chloride and dimethyl sulfate to make hcl

mayko - 26-9-2022 at 11:08

you did what now

markgollum - 26-9-2022 at 11:13

No, I would not work with dimethylsulfate while expecting to be protected by outdoor ventilation.
I would only work with it when all of the following conditions are met simultaneously.

1) In a fume hood with sash almost closed.
2) In a wholly contained apparatus where everything is jointed and the only way out of it is through a tube that leads someplace safe.
3) Wearing a full face respirator with organic vapor filters.
4) 2 layers of disposable gloves, a disposable labcoat.
5) A plan to decontaminate all glassware when I'm done without removing it from the fume hood or removing my PPE.

Texium - 26-9-2022 at 12:11

Quote: Originally posted by 6dthjd1  
it was already done 4 years ago. the reaction of sodium chloride and dimethyl sulfate to make hcl
...what?

Bedlasky - 26-9-2022 at 13:10

I hope this is a joke...

[Edited on 27-9-2022 by Bedlasky]

6dthjd1 - 27-9-2022 at 00:37

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
you did what now

Sorry that was the wrong reference.

I was referring to the production of methyl chloride with sodium chloride mixed in dimethyl sulfate

clearly_not_atara - 27-9-2022 at 05:51

Also no. For MeCl I wonder if you could gas dimethyl carbonate with HCl.

Fery - 28-9-2022 at 09:02

Recently I did a reaction with dimethyl sulfate and I used completely closed apparatus from which a hose led possible gases out of the lab. The first methyl group reacted while cooling the reaction and the second methyl group reacted while hydrodistilling out the methylated product.

6dthjd1 - 21-10-2022 at 12:18

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
Recently I did a reaction with dimethyl sulfate and I used completely closed apparatus from which a hose led possible gases out of the lab. The first methyl group reacted while cooling the reaction and the second methyl group reacted while hydrodistilling out the methylated product.

What was cleanup like?

Fery - 22-10-2022 at 09:12

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  

What was cleanup like?

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...