Sciencemadness Discussion Board

How do you pick phenol?

Parakeet - 6-8-2023 at 05:00

Phenol comes in bottles as a hard solid chunk, and I need to take a few grams.
It is easy to melt, but how can I weight out? If I use a pipette, won't it solidify in it?
Any useful ideas would be appreciated!

Texium - 6-8-2023 at 06:35

Not if you heat it significantly above its melting point, use a pre-heated pipette, and work quickly. Another possible option is to pour a good amount of the molten stuff into a wide flat dish, like a baking dish, and let it solidify in there. Then break up the solid sheet.

BromicAcid - 6-8-2023 at 14:21

I've transferred plenty of low melting solids by pipette just by heating them somewhat above the MP and then drawing them up and emptying them from the pipette rapidly a few times to heat it followed by finally taking my target quantity.

DraconicAcid - 6-8-2023 at 17:13

When the phenol is ripe, place a large sheet under the phenol tree and shake it vigorously. Make sure you're wearing a hat, so that you don't get any phenol falling on your head.

Sulaiman - 6-8-2023 at 19:51

Cryptic Arcane Alchemical knowledge, or cynicism,
difficult to pick

DraconicAcid - 6-8-2023 at 21:36

When in doubt, assume snark. But beware, lest it turn out to be a boojum.

Parakeet - 6-8-2023 at 22:57

Thanks for your nice ideas (and a joke. The Hunting of the Snark, are you talking about?)

I actually want a few batches for future projects, so making a solid sheet and crushing it might be a good way. If that fails, I'll try the pipette method.