Sciencemadness Discussion Board

V2O5 catalyst for H2SO4 production.

Pages:  1  2  

Magpie - 24-3-2004 at 19:56

I just measured the ID of a toilet paper roll - it's 43 mm. This would give you about a 115 mm long cylindrical candle. You could cast a plaster-of-paris plug in the bottom to seal it and center the wick.

As a competitor to plaster-of-paris I like a product called FIXALL in the USA. It is made of "gypsum, starch, wood flour, and limestone." It is used for patching holes in drywall and sets up fairly hard.

Tacho - 25-3-2004 at 03:24

Many ideas here...

I strongly advise you to do tests, making small candles, like 1cm thick x 3cm tall, to check concepts.

I hope I find time this weekend to do some tests. No promess, though.

axe, have you ever heard of ozone doing the SO2 -> SO3 trick? I never heard it, but you have clearly done more research than me on this. This would reduce the H2SO4 problem to sulfur and electricity.

Gess I'll post a question on the general chemistry forum.

GOOGLE IT, STUPID!

Tacho - 25-3-2004 at 03:39

Lazy Tacho! Asking people to do the work for you!

Did a google:

http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/chem/dolchem/html/comp/so3.html

http://www.rebeccapaton.net/pollution/pages/chemistry.htm

In case your V2O5 catalyst - God forbid!- does not work as expected, don't you think would be nice to try to inject some ozone along with SO2 in the tube furnace?

axehandle - 25-3-2004 at 13:41

Too.... many.... ideas.... brain.... overload.......

I think I'll go the toilet roll route, or the aluminum can route (but doesn't the inside of those have a very thin layer of plastic?).

As for the ozone idea: Yes, I've considered it. My implementation would be a huge chamber of aluminum with a glass jar containing water at the bottom. The chamber woukld be filled with SO2, after which I'd inject ozone slowly. Since I do have a high voltage transformer, building an ozone generator should be simple enough.

But to answer your question Tacho, if the V2O5 catalyst fails, I'll prepare a Pt-on-SiO2 catalyst. The platinum wire I ordered 2 months ago (!) has STILL not arrived though, tomorrow I'll call the selling company and tell them that unless I get my wire NOW, I'll come over and kill them all.

I do like the ozone idea though. It doesn't require pre-heating the SO2 to 450C before passing it through the catalyst. That part has me quite worried.... SO3 at 450C is not something I want leaking out, aiming for my face :o.

Any good links to drawings of an O3 generator, Tacho? Hmm, don't those require DC, btw? Then I'll have a hard time finding a full bridge rectifier capable of handling 9kV at 540W....

The absolutely BEST solution would be to have an O3 generator able to generate O3 at a larger rate than the generation of SO2. Then it would be a trivial excercise to pump SO2 through an O3 saturated chamber. No huge, nasty temperatures.

As for my progress right now, I've just soft-annealed some copper pipe I'm going to use. Tonight I'm going to finish the combustion product filter and start casting the endplugs for the candle burner sleeve. All the Al piping is cut to size (did that a couple of hours ago).

Edit: Found this: <i>Also, if you hook a METAL (yes, some freak invented a plastic version too)
"Slinky" stretched out, to one side of an NST and suspend a wire down the
middle you'll get a ton of Ozone and corona.</i>

Very interesting. Might be worth some experimentation.

Edit2: Actually, coming to think of it, shouldn't ozone have ozidising properties so powerful that it would make SO out of sulfur without the need for combustion? Hmmm. I'll have to build an ozone generator soon.

[Edited on 2004-3-25 by axehandle]

[Edited on 2004-3-25 by axehandle]

Tacho - 25-3-2004 at 15:08

I have built an ozone generator once.

It used a tv's flyback transformer. This is the best way, since the transformer manages to turn the voltage into DC. Besides, if something go wrong, you will have an unforgetable bolt of pain, but won't die.

My ozone chamber was a box about 5 x 5 x 25 cm, made of ceramic tiles, with a wire passing in it's longer axis. One of the walls was made of transparent plastic, so I could see the plasma ball effects inside.

The power transistors were always burning out.

Maybe I'll do an improved version one of these days.

axehandle - 25-3-2004 at 16:19

Hmmm. Interesting. Do you have a drawing or picture?

BromicAcid - 25-3-2004 at 18:02

Ozone? You're crazy! Go the chamber acid method, everything is made out of lead, hit the scrapyard and pick up 100 lbs of it and have fun molding the crap. But where to get the NO?

axehandle - 25-3-2004 at 19:06

Well, historically the NO in the lead chamber process came from adding sodium nitrate to the sulfur, 1 part to 7 parts sulfur. But I'm not going to build a lead chamber, I want to go 100% contact method.

Here's my 1st attempt at a sulfur candle. I used the thickest available whick. It's not looking good. The whick burnt to disinegration before the sulfur had melted enough to permeate the whick:

My next "candle" will use a rockwool "staff" the size of the candle, loosely packed, as the whick, surrounded by an aluminum mesh to avoid having the rockwool bending down on itself as the candle is consumed. That will also increase the burn rate as the area burning will be the cross section of the candle.

Edit: Btw, what's crazy about using ozone?

Edit2: Oh crap. It's 04:14 PM now. Time to hit the bed.

[Edited on 2004-3-26 by axehandle]

Tacho - 26-3-2004 at 04:43

Boy, your room must smell like hell. Literally.

Let's be optimists: at least you molded the sulfur candle!

May I suggest another design for the candle: a small can, shorter than wide, like a Nivea cream can or Vicki-vaporub can (I'm sure those are the same all over the planet). About 5cm diameter. The rock wool as a thick wick in the center. The idea is not having the burning sulfur dripping on the side of the candle.

Hope this helps:

.|........|.|.........|
.|........|.|.........|
.|________|

Just an idea, easy to test.

About ozone: No, I don't have any pictures.
The ceramic tiles were used because I noticed that when my HV generator was tested on the floor, the loose HV cable would produce this beautifull fuzzy haze of sparks on the floor tiles with a strong smell of ozone.

Since no other configuration would produce such a strong smell, I made my "floor in a box" tube. The tile box had grounded Al foil around it to improve discharge. The plastic window was for aesthetic reasons: the corona was visible and plasma ball like (little slow moving lightnings) Not fantastic, but interesting. I'm human.

This is a sketch:

----------------------------------
----------------------------------Tile
-> air flow -->
----------------------------------wire
-> air flow -->
----------------------------------Tile
----------------------------------
Cross section, about 6x6cm:
------------------
------------------Tile
||....................||
||....................||
||........o..........||wire inside, window
||....................||
||....................||
-------------------Tile
-------------------

Bromic acid, why ozone would be crazy? It's easy to make and relatively safe. Do you know something we don't?

[Edited on 26-3-2004 by Tacho]

Burner design revisited. Again.

axehandle - 26-3-2004 at 09:49

How about this? No candle at all, just a massive cylinder of rockwool impregnated with molten sulfur. Only problem remaining is a better ignition system. A ceramic staff with an embedded heating coil, capable of being heated until it's glowing, perhaps?

Edit: BTW, I've ordered about 200 meters of 0.5mm Kanthal D NiCr wire for the exhaust heater. It will arrive on Monday. I'm getting somewhere!

Tacho - 26-3-2004 at 10:15

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, although I don't like the "lots of rock wool" as a wick, can't say why, just don't fell right. As the sulfur burn, won't the rock wool kind of clog the tube?

You would have to pump air in the can, obviously.

Does sulfur react with red hot NiCr wire? I would be surprised, since I tryied hard to make sulfur react with zinc, without sucess.

Edit1 : Lead plug and cast aluminum: I foresee trouble here. Why don't you do like everybody else and go to a plumber's supply shop where you can find all sorts of copper tubes and connections like plugs, threaded (screw like) caps etc.

Cutting copper tubes with a proper tool is very clean and easy. Soldering with a blowtorch is easier than casting Al. You can solder the thin Cu tubes through a cap.

axehandle - 26-3-2004 at 10:30

Gak! You couldn't make sulfur react with zinc??? If they are both in powdered form, the mixture can be used as a rocket fuel. It was quite popular in the 1950:s.

I doubt NiCr wire would stand up to prolonged contact with the molten, burning sulfur. But that's only a problem if I intend to re-use the coil.... One could use a new small coil every time, coming to think of it. But then there's the problem of how to connect it....

I have a new solution. Before connecting the outlet to the heater, one simply heats a small piece of iron with a propane torch until it glows white, then one grabs it with thongs and drops it down the outlet pipe. That should ignite the little bugger.

Edit: Missed the lead and Al part. Well, I don't want to spend a fortune on couplers when I already have a ton of Al and copper pipe, as well as a metal melting furnace. Casting Al is a non-problem, my furnace can melt brass.

Edit2: And Al is one of the few materials resistant to sulfur at all temperatures (below the Al:s MP ofcourse....) :)

Tacho - 26-3-2004 at 11:19

Quote:
Originally posted by axehandle
Gak! You couldn't make sulfur react with zinc??? If they are both in powdered form, the mixture can be used as a rocket fuel. It was quite popular in the 1950:s.

Really? I'm surprised. Well, I didn't set fire to it, just heated them in a closed crucibe trying to make phosphorecent ZnS. Now I think I'm glad I failed.
Quote:

I doubt NiCr wire would stand up to prolonged contact with the molten, burning sulfur. But that's only a problem if I intend to re-use the coil.... One could use a new small coil every time, coming to think of it. But then there's the problem of how to connect it....

Hot sulfur is that reactive? Ya don't say... Living and learning.
Well, a try with a short piece of NiCr wire won't hurt...
Quote:

I have a new solution. Before connecting the outlet to the heater, one simply heats a small piece of iron with a propane torch until it glows white, then one grabs it with thongs and drops it down the outlet pipe. That should ignite the little bugger.

Another easy-to-try.
Quote:

Edit: Missed the lead and Al part. Well, I don't want to spend a fortune on couplers when I already have a ton of Al and copper pipe, as well as a metal melting furnace. Casting Al is a non-problem, my furnace can melt brass.

Ooooh...! THAT's why you don't do it like everybody else!
Forget what I said.

axehandle - 26-3-2004 at 11:39

Yup. Having the ability to melt aluminum changes one's view of life quite a bit. :)

The furnace itself really deserves a section of its own on my home page, but its construction is rather complex (albeit not expensive), and I'm lazy right now. One of its highlight are that it can be run for hours on a wooden table, after which its outside is only lukewarm, while the interior is glowing yellow. I apparently came up with the right refractory mix. I don't quite remember the proportions, but it contains perlite, bentonite clay type W, portland cement and mason's sand. The burner I use IS documented on my home page. The most expensive item in the construction was the 10kg composite (transparent!) propane tank.

If enough people bug me, I might be persuaded to document the little heat-monster... :)

EDIT: CURRENT VOTE: 1

Edit: I've been thinking of getting 2 more gas tanks: One O2 and the other ethylene(s) so I can melt iron. Don't know the right material for the crucible though....

Saerynide - 26-3-2004 at 11:44

Document, Document, Document!!! :D

axehandle - 26-3-2004 at 12:28

10 votes, then I will document the damned thing. Might even include some videos.

Geomancer - 26-3-2004 at 14:06

Axehandle's description seems much like most of the homemade propane furnaces I've seen on the 'net. While it would be interesting to see his implementation, so far he's mentioned nothing revolutionary.

Axehandle: I'm sorry you're not able to melt iron. The darn stuff melts hot, my charcoal furnace goes well over 1000C (alas, I can't be more specific) and doesn't melt steel pipe, though that's an advantage for my application. Are you sure that you're burning with a nuetral flame? I noticed that you use a secondary air supply, which people say is usually unnecessary for propane.

Tacho - 26-3-2004 at 15:14

Document! Document! Document!

Quote:
Originally posted by Geomancer
(snip)
Axehandle's description seems much like most of the homemade propane furnaces I've seen on the 'net. While it would be interesting to see his implementation, so far he's mentioned nothing revolutionary.
(snip)

Sorry, but I must vehementtly disagree!!

There is a big diference here. Axehandle build it! He made it work! He melts aluminum and brass in it! Let me make it clear: he doesn't just talk about it, he got his hands dirty and made it! AND

HE IS HERE EVERY DAY!

You can ask him the details, the caveats, what goes wrong first, why this, why that...

axehandle - 26-3-2004 at 15:19

Oh. I'm flattered.

Edit: if it weren't for the fact that I'm incredibly drunk right now, I'd, post some pictures. But I don't melt aluminum while drunk, it's too dangerous.

Edit: Aaaaah, what the hell, let me find my enormously long network cable...

To the unbelievers.

axehandle - 26-3-2004 at 15:44

Heretics. Here:

Explanation: My webcam is an Axis camera server, hence my need for a long network cable.

Tacho - 26-3-2004 at 16:34

He is melting aluminum in the middle of the night! :o

axe, turn everything off, put the furnace in a safe place and go to bed. Good boy!

**********APOLOGIES**************

Sorry everybody about the zinc-sulfur mistake, this is the thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1245

It was about CALCIUM sulfide and I used a lot of calcium carbonate and very LITTLE zinc.

Don't play with mercury kids, or you will end up like Tacho.

axehandle - 26-3-2004 at 16:38

Nope, wasn't melting anything, just getting a couple of good shots. My experience tells me that the maximum temp in the furnace was never above 1200C, whick is a suitable temp to make a soufflé. Or was it "carbonizing a soufflé?" I don't remember.

BTW tacho, it's only 01:38 here. Plenty of time before bed time. I'm studying the MP of different metals...

Edit0: Ah, I see what you meant about phosphorencity. Didn't pay attention, sorry.

EDIT: Besides, I'm hardly a "boy" at 29....

[Edited on 2004-3-27 by axehandle]

Geomancer - 26-3-2004 at 17:22

Pretty. Does it have a lid?

sulfur burning

Magpie - 26-3-2004 at 19:46

Axehandle - you are an animal - melting aluminum at 1:30 AM! You put the rest of us to shame with your hyperactivity. You have turned your apartment into an industrial laboratory! I admire your dedication (fanaticism).

A potentially useful suggestion: my references on producing SO2 state that it is atomized (the liquid, I suppose) before burning. I'm sure you've considered this but I mention it just to be sure.

rikkitikkitavi - 27-3-2004 at 03:23

the fact that he wrote that he was increadbibly drunk could have something to do with firing up a propane oven at 1:30 am...

talk about hangover...

/rickard

axehandle - 27-3-2004 at 04:56

Well..... *ouch my head* hmmm... It does have a lid, a very nice one with a small hole in its center.

Don't do like me, propane burning and drinking just don't mix well...

IKEA

axehandle - 27-3-2004 at 06:19

Btw, yes, the outer shell for the propane burner really IS an IKEA trashbin. I suspect they never anticipated this use of it......

sulfur burner using an aspirator

Magpie - 27-3-2004 at 20:23

Axehandle I hope your hangover is over. Even Norse gods must take a rest. Here are some more musings on your most interesting project:

I have another thought for a sulfur burner. Since I've read that one industrial method for burning sulfur to SO2 is to atomize molten sulfur and mix it with air, why not use an aspirator with air as the motive fluid to do this. These aspirators are available for industrial use and are known as "jets". They are made by Penberthy-Houdaille and others. I have used one as a pump using steam as motive fluid at work. Even the smallest of these (1/2";) would be too big for your burner but you could get some design parameters from them and then make your own as you have your own industrial laboratory. This might be an effective sulfur fired torch.

My references also note that the exiting sulfur dioxide/oxygen ratio is important for efficient SO2 production. I believe that is why I was required to determine the oxygen content of the sulfur burner effluent using an Orsat analyzer at the sulfite paper mill I worked at a long time ago.

BromicAcid - 27-3-2004 at 20:28

Maybe add some KNO3 to the mix or other oxidizers in small amounts, just to modify the burning properties of the mixture, expecially the candle. However I might have said this already as I've been thinking about this for awhile, and this thread is getting unmanageably large.

Al Koholic - 28-3-2004 at 00:03

Yeah, it is getting quite large...but very enjoyable.

I gotta ask...axehandel...you listen to any black metal? I mean, if you weren't, with your hobby, and your locale, I'd be surprised.

Anyway, keep up the good work!!! Very good thread to be following!!!!!!!!

axehandle - 28-3-2004 at 17:51

Actually..... yes. I do listen to black metal. How did you guess?

On a more interesting note, I built a simple ozone generator today using a drinking glass, some aluminum foil and a 9kV NST. The corona discharge was a very beautiful dazzling blue. I didn't dare to keep it on for long though, not until I've checked up on the harmfulness of ozone more scientifically (i.e. not by sniffing it until I drop to the floor).

Tomorrow I get my heating coil for the exhaust heater. I also intend to cast the aluminum burner vessel tomorrow. I've had very promising results with the rockwool substrate. Expect a bombardment of pictures. Hmm, local time is 03:46. Perhaps it's time to get some sleep? Expecially since the air in here suddenly became very fresh. Hey, if I build this huge ozone generator I could skip showers alltogether! Ozone removes odors! Great idea! No need to wash my clothes ever again, either.

ozone vs health

Magpie - 28-3-2004 at 20:44

I offer some anecdotal observations on ozone vs health. Many years ago my grandmother and her 2nd husband had an ozone generator in their living room. When I came over to visit them the place always reeked of ozone. They had rheumatism/arthritis or such and the ozone purportedly helped relieve it.

I did not inspect the generator too closely at the time but I remember that it was composed of 5 - 10 parallel glass tubes which took on an eerie purple/pink glow when electrically powered. My impression was that this never really helped them any but it didn't seem to hurt them any either.

DON'T GIVE UP ON COMBUSTION!!!

Hermes_Trismegistus - 28-3-2004 at 21:47

Burning a fine spray may not be as difficult as it sounds at first.

Have you ever seen those pneumatic cannon's people build out of PVC or steel pipe?

if not look at Slava's site... http://www.voltsamps.com

http://www.gizmology.net/airgun.htm
http://members.aol.com/sph911/spud/basic.html

anyway, they basically consist of a barrell, an air resevoir, a nipple to hook up a small air compressor (often a small 12V car compressor) and a ball valve to connect the resevoir to the barrel.

anyway, if you made the air resevoir large, fixed a filling port to the barrel to admit sulfur, wrapped a heating element around the barrell to bring the sulfur up to liquid temperature and made a tiny hole on the end cap covering the barell opening.......

you'd be in business my friend!:cool:

axehandle - 29-3-2004 at 02:08

Thanks for the input. I don't really intend to use the ozone generator for anything, really.... I built it just due to the amusement factor.

And aaah, yes, spud guns. I built something similar once, only it didn't have a plastic, but a steel barrel, and it didn't use a fuel-air mixture as propellant but black powder, and it didn't shoot a potato but a lead ball, but the principle holds.. :)

Using boiling sulfur to feed a nipple with a small hole in it much in the same manner as my propane burner works, perhaps without a fan even, might be worth some serious investigation. The brass nipple would have to be replaced with an aluminum one ofcourse.... and I shall need an aluminum rod, but... hmm. This is the perfect time to speculate, I'll probably make the exhaust heater today and the burner tomorrow.

Edit: I'm seriously considering using the boiling sulfur to pump gaseous sulfur through the burner nipple. I think I'm missing a caveat here though. Better think it through _really_ carefully.

Edit2: Ah. The caveat is the possibility of the boiler blowing up. Better put a burst diaphragm in there somewhere. It will also be a bit tricky to ignite the fuel-air mixture in a closed system.

Edit3: Off I go to get my heating coil!

[Edited on 2004-3-29 by axehandle]

What the fuck is wrong with my sulfur???

axehandle - 29-3-2004 at 07:05

ARRRRGGHH!!!!

I tried (again) to heat the sulfur to its auto-ignition point (250C-ish). The digital thermometer I used topped out at 300C (its maximum). I used a glass tube connected to an air pump to bubble air through the molten sulfur, to aid the ignition process.

RESULT: <b>No fucking fire whatsoever!</b> Something is very WRONG here.

Anyone with lots of sulfurious experience?

I'm depressed now. I'm going to play SOF2 instead.

If the glove doesn't fit.......you must aquit.

Hermes_Trismegistus - 29-3-2004 at 07:52

and if empirical evidence doesn't fit the published data, then the data must be faulty.

P.S. section 9 of this MSDS, lists the auto ignition temperature of Sulfur to be 450 Deg Celcius.

http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/sulfur.htm

Esplosivo - 29-3-2004 at 07:53

I used to (and sometimes still do) make sulphurous acid by heating sulphur on a spirit burner (usinf EtOH). The sulphur was placed in a container. A glass pipe was placed nearly touching the lower end of the container and another outlet pipe was attached to the upper end. The sulphur was heated till melted and air was pumped through the liquid using an aquarium air-pump (the ons they use to bubble air). I normally didn't see any fire in there, by the gas comming out surely smelled of SO2. The gas was then dissolved and tests were made on salts prepared from the acid. It was sulphurous acid. Now I cannot understand how your sulphur would not combust. Did you try bubbling some of the gas which escaped through water and testing with litmus or any pH indicator?

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by Esplosivo]

axehandle - 29-3-2004 at 08:23

Bzzzzt: Wrong! It's 450 deg Fahrenheit, which equals 232.22 deg C. Check again.

And hmmm no, I didn't bubble it through water. My nose clearly tells me there was little or no SO2 there though...

Well, when all other explanations are shown to be faulty, the one remaining must be correct.

I submit that there is something wrong with my sulfur. I'll try to repeat the experiment with sublimed (not mined) sulfur instead. I think I have some left.

OH.....

Hermes_Trismegistus - 29-3-2004 at 08:27

Ok...I guess I just sorta skimmed it through....

axehandle - 29-3-2004 at 08:29

Don't worry, it happens to me all the time. It's always embarrassing though... :P

Edit: Well, I'm casting the plaster mold for the burner now. It will be shaped like a hollow cylinder, whatever the correct geometrical term for that is.....

Edit2: OK, this is REALLY weird. The sublimed sulfur didn't ignite either! Until I was about to pour it into a large bowl of water, that is. THEN it caught fire, right in the pot! I'm stupified.

rikkitikkitavi - 29-3-2004 at 09:36

Auto ignition point is a theoretical and empirical value which corresponds the lowest temperature where ignition has been observed , in air usually stated.

It doesnt necessarily means that it will be easy to ignite. Strangely though, since sulfur has a flash point of roughly 150 C. But for a risk analysis , say for a molten sulfur 10000 MT bulk ship this is important...dont want any spillage of molten sulfur hitting an uninsulated exhaust pipe and catching fire or something similar...
I remember reading that the SO2 content in the air above the sulfur increases autoignition point dramatically, which could explaing for the easier ignition in a open area.

I have never had any problems with igniting sulfur in the open in small metal cans, using matches (use the SO2 for sterlilizing) , it is surprizingly easy to ignite with a match according to me, and burns with a very nice blue flame .

/rickard

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by rikkitikkitavi]

axehandle - 29-3-2004 at 09:43

Because, it eliminates one step from the process. I admit that I could just as easily ignite the molten sulfur by hand, but it wouldn't be as aesthetically pleasing.... :)

I have one more card up my sleeve. A ceramic igniter (a heating coil embedded in clay, capable of making the clay rod glow). This is problematic for one reason: Where to draw the connection wires? I think I'll simply resign and do it the oldfashioned way, i.e. using a match...

My biggest problem is that I'm a perfectionist.

Edit: I'll go and finish my mold now...

Edit2: Note to self: Don't make a plaster mold in cookware with plastic handles. Drying it out in the oven without melting the plastic takes forever. I am an idiot.

Edit3: Very soon to reinstall win2k on this machine. Then it's ALUMINUM CASTING TIME!!!! YEAH!!!

Edit4:
Quote:

I remember reading that the SO2 content in the air above the sulfur increases autoignition point dramatically, which could explaing for the easier ignition in a open area.

It would certainly explain why the sulfur caught fire as soon as I started pouring from the melting pot into the vat of water. Very unreliable stuff, this. Thanks for the info.

[Edited on 2004-3-30 by axehandle]

BromicAcid - 30-3-2004 at 16:28

Axehandle, remember the digital library of India? They've got a book called Raw Materials for The Manufacture Of Sulphuric Acid And The Manufacture Of Sulphur Dioxide and around page 316 it starts to detail sulfur burner designs and such. Also it has some other interesting information on sulfur, more then necessary but very interesting.

Sulfur burners.

axehandle - 30-3-2004 at 16:50

Yes, I've studied what I could find on the net, but I forgot about the digital library. Most of the burners I've found don't lend themselves to downscaling easily.

But tonight, I have cast the burner bottom! I didn't use gloves, but managed to only get one 1st degree burn. (And I set fire to the table when I spilled some glowingly hot Al on it :) --- easy enough to put out though...)

No pics of the burner bottom yet (it has to cool first) yet, but here's the result of pouring the Al leftovers into water:

Saerynide - 31-3-2004 at 02:56

Very artistic :D

Bottom done!

axehandle - 31-3-2004 at 07:34

Here is the cast bottom, made of pure (99.9%) Al. It would look shinier if I polished it :)

The twisted thing inside is for distributing the heat better when the burner is in use.

Oh, and here is the inside:

Edit: I'll be going on vacation now for about a week. I may not have internet access.

[Edited on 2004-3-31 by axehandle]

[Edited on 2004-4-1 by axehandle]

Tacho - 1-4-2004 at 03:37

This stuff is humiliating...

When I think of myself melting a few drops of Al in a tuna can, with pliers and a blowtorch... well, I feel pathetic. There must be 2kg of Al in that thing!

Now, let me understand: You are going to half fill this thing with sulfur, set fire to it somehow, close with a lid and pump air through it. The air+SO2 goes into a heater and then into the V2O5 tube than into water. Is that right?

BTW, I predict a huge suckback (is this expression right?) if the final tube goes INTO water. Would be better NEAR a water surface. I guess you figured that.

I don’t want to spoil your foundry fun, but, to set things clear for future builders of your apparatus, why couldn’t you use a small aluminum cooking pan? I have a few that already come with a lid that closes them almost hermetically

Esplosivo - 1-4-2004 at 04:06

First of all its is interesting and I at least find it self-rewarding you make something yourself. Buying stuff doesn't make me feel so happy as when I make it myself.

Secondly to avoid suck back he can use a set up as shown in the attachment. The use of an inverted funnel is stated when using gasses with a high solubility in water or other solvent. I think the diagram is self-explanatory. Oo btw, I think axehandle had already figuered out the problem, but just to give you an idea.

suck_back app.jpg - 47kB

SO2 absorber

Magpie - 1-4-2004 at 20:25

I have used the inverted funnel method in Organic Chem lab for HBr capture, IIRC. It worked well.

Of course the more industrial way to do this is with a countercurrent absorbtion column. But this would be more complex and require a pump capable of handling H2SO4, say a peristaltic type (hose pump).

rikkitikkitavi - 2-4-2004 at 09:22

PVC is resistant to high concentrations of
H2SO4 when cold (20 C).

/rickard

Back again from a tedious vacation.

axehandle - 8-4-2004 at 12:56

But where I was, with little to no Internet access, I managed to get hold of some metal lathe time, a couple of pieces of aluminum, and threading tools in the mean time, so I made this between meals. It's an aluminum rod with a 5mm diameter hole right through it and with both ends threaded. I also made an endcap. It's meant for sulfur refilling the burner, and will simply by screwed in place in the lid once the latter is cast, drilled, and threaded.

The cap is simply a cylinder of aluminum, half drilled through and threaded by hand.

I also made this. It's a coil made from 0.5mm diameter Kanthal D NiCr wire, using a piece of 2mm thick welding rod, a drill press and lots of patience. There's about 25 meters of NiCr wire there. I intend to use it with the burner vessel for sulfur melting, coltrolled by a 150..160 C bimetal thermostat I ordered and which will arrive on Tuesday. The resistance of the coil is a whopping 75 ohms, which means that my burner pre-heater will use 645W, all automagically controlled by the thermostat (BTW, <b>this</b> is why I made the vessel so bulky --- to even out temperatures. Aluminum is my favorite metal. It's soooo wonderfully heat conducting, and easy to work with too. In case anyone was wondering :))

PS: I'm glad to be back. Being without access to my 10Mbit line was horrible. It will also be very nice to talk to you all again.

Saerynide - 10-4-2004 at 04:55

How do you thread stuff by hand? :o

Tacho - 10-4-2004 at 05:37

You must have some strange vacations. How did you get some "metal lathe time"?

Those pieces are beauties.

I could use some lathe time myself!

axehandle - 11-4-2004 at 02:22

Saerynide: With HSS tools, patience and brute force :). Anything can be threaded (well, as long as it's lower on the hardness scale than the tool, and not made of glass or something like that).

Tacho: Thanks. Now comes the hard part --- embedding the coil in a clay spiral for the integral burner heating plate *shudder*.

Edit: And oh, by the way, for the exhaust heater.... your amazing salt thermostat finally will be put to use!

Edit2: And as for how you get metal lathe time...: 1) Get a girlfriend who's father has his basement full of metal shop tools. 2) Fix his computer. 3) Suck up to him really good. :)

Edit3: BTW, I found this. I don't know if it works, but if it does it will come in handy for temperature calibration:

Edit4: I'm making more catalyst. Lots of it. My eye hurts from gaseous ammonia.... *sob*

Edit5: I've done some research on materials for the piping and couplings. The only realistic metal to use is Al, since it's completely impervious to hot SO2/SO3. Copper is heavily attacked. Unfortunately, it means I'll have to go and buy a very expensive 6 meter length of 10x3.0 pipe, as well as suitable threading tools. My wallet hurts.... :(

[Edited on 2004-4-11 by axehandle]

[Edited on 2004-4-11 by axehandle]

Progress, progress.

axehandle - 12-4-2004 at 08:37

I've cast half of the exhaust heater. In doing so, I managed to set fire to the table, the towel I grabbed the crucible handle with, and my welder's gloves.

It's the first and hopefully last time I'm forced to complete a molten aluminum pouring while on fire.

Pictures and a drawing of my intended manufacturing method will come as soon as the damned thing has cooled down, and I've stopped coughing. Hopefully none of my neighbours have called the police....
:(

I'm seriously considering covering that table with alumina or firebricks. :P

Edit01: I think I (albeit being an idiot) still deserve some credit for managing to continue casting while on fire. I think most people would panic.

Edit02: I've decided against buying Al tubing. Instead I'll melt aluminum in an iron pipe (clamped at the bottom) and simply dip copper pipe in the molten Al. Then it becomes resistant to both SO2 and SO3, as well as H2SO3 and H2SO4. And I won't have to dehydrate the burner air! Now I'll make my drawing.

Edit03: Ok, here's the plan for the heater. So far I've done step 1:

Edit04: Here's the bottom part. It's 170x125mm and 10mm thick:

[Edited on 2004-4-12 by axehandle]

Tacho - 12-4-2004 at 15:05

I'm sorry if you already mentioned it, but I don't feel like reading the whole thread: Are you sure hot SO2 attacks copper?

If not, you could put 5/15" copper tube instead of that clay turd. You buy this tube in any air conditioning supply. I guess it's also used to transport gas to stoves and heaters. I have a feeling that clay will not come out easily.

Tacho - 12-4-2004 at 15:21

Sorry to clog your thread axe, but I've been messing around with FTP software, and I need a place to test a new way of uploading pictures, so I'm showing whoever reads this how the thermostat look like:

I must confess this FTP thing is new to me. I stopped my evolution at Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS. Did some nice real-time connections with the parallel (printer) port. They don't use printer ports anymore, do they? It's this USB thing now!

Ah! those were the days...

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by Tacho]

Saerynide - 13-4-2004 at 01:52

Good job casting while on fire :) Reminds me of the time I had to hold on a pot that was roasting on the stove for the last 10 min (with my bare hands :() because I didnt have a place to put it, and if i dropped it, Id have lost my dinner. My fingers where burned shiny... ouch....

Clay soluability etcetera

axehandle - 13-4-2004 at 06:03

Quote:

I'm sorry if you already mentioned it, but I don't feel like reading the whole thread: Are you sure hot SO2 attacks copper?

If not, you could put 5/15" copper tube instead of that clay turd. You buy this tube in any air conditioning supply.

Very sure. I searched for 2 hours and finally found a graduate level paper on it.

Quote:

I guess it's also used to transport gas to stoves and heaters. I have a feeling that clay will not come out easily.

I've reached the same conclusion. However, if I were to mix the clay with copious amounts of NaCl or KCl, I might have a winner. The best thing would probably be to cast the entire spiral out of molten NaCl (MP ~= 800C), but this will be difficult, I'm afraid... :(

What I need is a material that's easy to shape, can take 700C without decomposing, and that is soluable in water. I have lots of thinking to do.

Quote:

I must confess this FTP thing is new to me. I stopped my evolution at Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS. Did some nice

real-time connections with the parallel (printer) port. They don't use printer ports anymore, do they? It's this USB

thing now!

Not so! I've never seen a motherboard without a parallel port. I actually even used my Linux computer to drive a PWM circuit interfaced with the parallel port. I can send you the source code if you want.

Besides, I hate USB with a vengeance. Much harder to build an external circuit for.
------------

Quote:

...Reminds me of the time I had to hold on a pot that was roasting on the stove for the last 10 min (with my bare

hands) because I didnt have a place to put it, and if i dropped it, Id have lost my dinner. My fingers where burned

shiny... ouch....

Been there, done that... more than one time :)

TheBear - 13-4-2004 at 12:04

This post contains no scientific information, and can be disregarded by those who only seek facts.

Axehandle I have to say that I'm very impressed by this project. Since I live in the same country as you I know of the troubles surrounding acquisition of H2SO4. I just got to say: Keep up the good work!
For once I think I'm seeing a project that will be finnished since you seem to have the right attitude: insanely stubborn. Now a couple of questions: Will you publish a complete tutorial on your site when and if your project is finnished? And when are you estimating making a first test-run?

I wish you the best of luck!

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by TheBear]

axehandle - 13-4-2004 at 12:19

Quote:

Axehandle I have to say that I'm very impressed by this project. Since I live in the same coutry as you I know of the troubles surrounding aquireing H2SO4. I just got to say: Keep up the good work!

Thank you, and I will. Nothing short of death will stop me now!

(Jag SKA ha min jävla svavelsyra, hur lång tid det än tar!!!) :)

Quote:

For once I think I'm seeing a project that will be finnished since you seem to have the right attitude: insanely stubborn. Now a couple of questions: Will you publish a complete tutorial on your site when and if your project is finnished? And when are you estimating making a first test-run?

Yes, I'm stubborn. Very stubborn.

And yes, I will publish a complete tutorial complete with drawings, component manufacturing processes, pictures, efficiency calculations, major causes of trouble, caveats, etcetera.

I can't give a deadline for the test run. If all goes well, I'd guess within a month. If there are more major obstacles, perhaps 2 months. If I has unlimited monetary resources I'd say one week, but I'm keeping as low a budget as possible here:

For example, the exhaust heater could be heated by a cooking hotplate, but I prefer to save that expense and make my own heating coil. Another example is the thermostatic control. It could be put together easily if I bought a Pt probe. I'm going to use a molten salt thermostat instead.

One possible dead stop is if the catalyst for some reason refuses to work. Then I'll have to sacrifice a small length of my Pt wire, dissolve it in HCl using AC electrolysis and precipitate it onto silica.

As you can see, there are many variables; it's nearly impossible to foresee the time needed.

Quote:

I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks. I'm now very confident I will succeed, though.

Tacho - 14-4-2004 at 03:31

Axehandle,

I’ve been thinking about an easier way than clay turd to make the “heating channel”. I could not think of anything practical.

I do have some thoughts about the clay turd though:

1-if you decide to add NaCl, remember that it’s hygroscopic, so you have to dry the turd right before casting. I can’t imagine salt making a good mixture with wet clay, but if it does, I don’t usually argue with facts.

2- It might occur to you that mixing CaCO3 could be a good idea since, if you wash it with vinegar or lemon juice solutions, it will bubble itself away. BUT CaCO3 releases carbon dioxide at 500ºC-600ºC, and you don’t want things bubbling through molten aluminum.

3- I don’t think NaHCO3 (baking soda, sodium bicarbonate) releases CO2 upon heating, BUT I AM NOT SURE. Anyway, the mixing with wet clay might pose a problem as with NaCl. Otherwise, it would also bubble itself away upon washing with household acids. Same goes for sodium carbonate (swimming pool supply).

As you see, I don’t have a foolproof solution to remove the clay turd, but I hope these ideas are, at least, inspiring, in a brainstorm way.

axehandle - 14-4-2004 at 03:41

Thanks for the ideas Tacho. I actually mixed some clay yesterday (with KCl), made some turds and put them in my dessicator. Once they're dried, I'll heat them to 800C (the estimated temp of my molten Al) and then try to dissolve them with water. Hopefully it will work.

I've been thinking about "casting" a string of some sort of high MP molten salt, but I find this impractical.

Now I'll go and _finally_ get my Pt wire! And they have titanium in stock too!!!

Edit: Now I think I have a solution: I'm going to machine the "gas channel" in the bottom heater half. Then I'm going to pour molten NaCl into the channel, and then sand off any NaCl outside of the channel. Then I'm going to cover the whole thing with a layer of molten Al. After that, boiling the heater in water will take care of the NaCl.

[Edited on 2004-4-14 by axehandle]

vulture - 14-4-2004 at 11:48

Quote:

I don’t think NaHCO3 (baking soda, sodium bicarbonate) releases CO2 upon heating, BUT I AM NOT SURE

2NaHCO3 --> Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O

Na2CO3 ---> Na2O + CO2

Not much heat is needed, at 300C the conversion is complete IIRC.

Thanks,

axehandle - 14-4-2004 at 12:35

vulture. I already knew this since I actually <i>can</i> cook, but the warning is good. Splattering molten Al at 800C is not something you want all over you. Anything textile it touches takes fire, and it's painful as hell (I once got a drop on my finger).

Now to continue on my plans for machining the heater. It will be very very boring.

Tacho - 14-4-2004 at 12:49

Baking soda? Cook? CO2? Cake?

OOOuch!

How could I be so stupid!

Really sorry about that one.

No probs Tacho,

axehandle - 14-4-2004 at 12:56

we all make mistakes. Now, imagine how much fun I will have machining a 5x5 mm track along the black lines in this Al block using only a drill press and a hand file.....:

(That track is <b>1650mm</b> long! :()

Edit: On second thought, I'll wait until tomorrow and buy the proper tool: An inverted cone rotating file.

Lots of holes.

axehandle - 15-4-2004 at 14:47

The path is marked, now the only thing I need is a rotating file:

Btw: You're all right in guessing that drilling all those holes was no fun at all. Ooooh, my fingers ache.....

Edit: Homepage updated (finally...).

<b>Edit2: No, I'm NOT happy with the
shape of this track. :(</b> I'll RE-CAST it, in the same stainless oven form with the track
laid in the bottom using a bent 6x6 square
mild steel wire. Why the fuck didn't I come up with that idea earlier??? I'm a 1st class idiot.

[Edited on 2004-4-15 by axehandle]

Saerynide - 16-4-2004 at 02:47

Ouch. I would be crying if I had to trash all the hard work spent on that :(

[Edited on 16-4-2004 by Saerynide]

axehandle - 18-4-2004 at 12:44

It would be impossible to get that track straight. The air canal would brake the air much in the same way that a gun silencer brakes the propellant gasses, making it hard on the pump. In hindsight, what was I thinking????

<b>Now, a serious question:</b>

Does anyone know of a common chemical, that chemical NOT being sulfuric acid, that corrodes copper but does not attack aluminum? I'm thinking of embedding a copper pipe spiral inside an aluminum block, then pump some copper-destroying liquid through the system until only Al remains.

[Edited on 2004-4-18 by axehandle]

BromicAcid - 18-4-2004 at 16:03

Ammonia solutions attack copper, to what extent I cannot recall.

axehandle - 18-4-2004 at 16:12

Ammonia is a good one. While searching (in vain) for something that would destroy Copper but not Aluminum, I put two equal-sized pieces of Al and Cu in 25% NH3(aq) solution. Not much have happened (yet). I did the same with acetic acid (no results yet either).

It doesn't matter if it takes 1-2 weeks to destroy the copper but leave Al, as long as is works. (My 1st search involved galvanic cell-like destruction, but since Al is less noble than Cu..... you all get it.)

What peeves me though, is that this has become an obstacle I did not foresee. If I only could find a way to "dissolve" the copper pipe, leaving the Al block intact, I could assemble and try my V2O5 catalysed H2SO4 machine within DAYS, not weeks.

I have the machine in my head now. The only major obstacle remaining is the pre-entering-catalyst gas heater.

Edit1: I'm so close I can almost smell the blood.

[Edited on 2004-4-19 by axehandle]

BromicAcid - 18-4-2004 at 16:39

Also, isn't aluminum passified by concentrated nitric acid. However I do not think that you have nitric laying around anyways.

axehandle - 18-4-2004 at 16:44

Not having nitric (which I KNOW doesn't attack Al but Cu, is the main reason I'm building this plant) *grumble*

BrAiNFeVeR - 19-4-2004 at 01:40

Try a solution of NH4NO3, this shouldn't be hard so to get ...

It'll may a while, but it should do the trick.

Good luck on the project, I'm a big fan :)

Tacho - 19-4-2004 at 04:46

axehandle,

People use ammonium persulfate to corrode printed circuit boards. I tried it. I did absolutely nothing to aluminum, but almost nothing to copper either, just a black coating. If there is any corrosion, it takes forever. But then, how can people claim it’s a good etching chemical for copper? Heat? Acidic or basic medium? A special dance?

A quick search in google.groups made me believe it has to be heated. I'll try that tonight.

Pharmacies have hair discoloring cocotions that are basically ammonium persulfate.

I’ll try glacial acetic acid+H2O2 tonight too. Tomorrow I’ll post what happened.

Al Koholic - 19-4-2004 at 06:06

Maybe I'm off here on what you want at this point. First it was a clay heating element, then salt, then something, etc...I'm having trouble keeping up here (maybe because I've been up for 26 hours straight now) but you also just mentioned air flow restriction. Are you going gaseous heating now?

In that case...and with coppers excellent heat conduction, why not just leave the pipe in there? Just cast the aluminum around the copper pipe for a great fit and good contact.

axehandle - 19-4-2004 at 08:21

Well, yes, yes and no. Copper is attacked by hot gaseous SO2, but probably only to a small extent. Perhaps I would be better off doing as you said, just leaving the copper pipe in there and employ a post-heater filter. It somehow feels "wrong", however.... although I'm quite sure it would work.

Come to think of it, I really don't want any CuSO4 in my product....

Bah, I'll have a couple of beers and think it through....

Quote:

Heat? Acidic or basic medium? A special dance?
A dance plus stirring and heating, probably. Last I used it I just used boiling water to dissolve the Na2S2O7(8?) in. Worked. Then again, persulfates (at least the sodium one) are said to attack aluminum as well. That, however, doesn't matter as long as it attacks copper more.

Edit: I'm going to put two equally sized pieces of Cu and Al overnight in NaHSO4(aq) and see how that turns out.

Quote:
'
Try a solution of NH4NO3, this shouldn't be hard so to get ...

Worth a try, I've got about 50kg in stock.

[Edited on 2004-4-19 by axehandle]

an alternative

Magpie - 19-4-2004 at 19:29

Axehandle - I like your aluminum heater, and I can see the beauty of it - if it could just be fabricated!

I know you have invested a great deal of time, money, and psychic energy in this, so I will timidly offer an alternative:

Assuming you can buy aluminum tubing and bend it to a suitable radius, form a serpentine pattern as you have in your heater. Enclose this in a rectangular metal box, open at top and bottom. Fire it from the bottom with your propane heater.

Yes.

Hermes_Trismegistus - 19-4-2004 at 21:30

Quote:
Originally posted by axehandle

<b>Now, a serious question:</b>

Does anyone know of a common chemical, that chemical NOT being sulfuric acid, that corrodes copper but does not attack aluminum? I'm thinking of embedding a copper pipe spiral inside an aluminum block, then pump some copper-destroying liquid through the system until only Al remains.
[Edited on 2004-4-18 by axehandle]

Use an aluminum pipe spiral, put water in it, then pour the Al block. the Al will solidify around the pipe. Then only Al will remain.:D

Tacho - 20-4-2004 at 03:07

There is a hundred posts in the usenet saying how well ammonium persulfate etches copper. I could not make it work. Even boiling.

Since I used Pharmacy stuff, I believe something in the formula may prevent it. Or wrong dance steps.

I like Hermes idea. Fast running water maybe. Or paraffin.

edit: Curving Al tubes in small radius is a pain in the ass! Much much more difficult than Cu tubes. They break or bend easily. Pratice is required.

[Edited on 20-4-2004 by Tacho]

axehandle - 20-4-2004 at 05:47

Quote:

Use an aluminum pipe spiral, put water in it, then pour the Al block. the Al will solidify around the pipe. Then only Al will remain.

At a first glance, this seems good. However, there are 2 problems, one small and one big.

1) Bending Al pipe (especially the alloys available as pipe) tends to lead only to cracks. The old trick of filling the pipe witrh sand and warming it prior to bending might work. But my guts tell me it would be futile.

2) There would be a steam explosion in the mold, and I like my face not covered with molten Al.....

I'm afraid that copper is the only viable solution.

edit1:
Quote:
I like Hermes idea. Fast running water maybe. Or paraffin.

With solidified, once molten NaCl, it could work.

edit2
Quote:
Assuming you can buy aluminum tubing and bend it to a suitable radius, form a serpentine pattern as you have in your heater. Enclose this in a rectangular metal box, open at top and bottom. Fire it from the bottom with your propane heater.

No propane. I'm gonna use electical heating (the Al block will be insulated within a block of refractory mix to avoid too great heat losses). Apart from that, you've read my mind :).

edit3:
Quote:
There is a hundred posts in the usenet saying how well ammonium persulfate etches copper. I could not make it work. Even boiling.

Bubbling air through it might do the trick. Etching "machines" do this, if for stirring or for providing oxygen, I know not.

Edit4: <b>Hey!</b> What about.... electroplating the inside of the copper pipe with Al? This could work, with the right electrolyte..... it's thinking time.

[Edited on 2004-4-20 by axehandle]

Thinking done.

axehandle - 20-4-2004 at 07:21

Ok. After reading up by thoroughly studying a paper on the contruction of contact plants, I've decided that an exhaust heater is not necessary. The sulfur combustion process itself yields SO2 + air mix that's more than hot enough in itself. If anything, <b>cooling</b> the exhaust may be needed. However, I'm quite sure this is applicable only when using a huge, industrial, sulfur burner. I should be able to optimize the air flow through the burner so that the exhaust has exactly the right temperature for the catalyst. This is very good, since I can now finish the burner and scrap the mechanically complex exhaust heater.

Now, I have to construct a rather tricky piece of equipment. A very small heating element, consisting of a NiCr coil embedded in ceramics. The purpose being to have this heating element submerged in the molten sulfur, the former hot enough to achieve ignition (in English, it must glow dull red hot). The leads will have to be constructed out of something resistant to burning molten sulfur slag. The only options are 1) Platinum 2) Gold 3) Aluminum coated iron/copper 4) Ceramic coated iron. I'll go with (4) for temperature reasons (don't want to melt the Al coating).

Oh, the fun I have!

BromicAcid - 20-4-2004 at 10:14

Sulfur Burner Designs, US Patent Numbers:

2637630; 2622007; 3149916; 2285170; 1714657; 1458001; 1382343; 1364716; 1289417; 1254992; 996215; 788512; 700537; 698748 Sulfur Candle; 527881 Sulfur Candle; 462085 Sulfur Candle; 451651 Sulfur Furnace; 390314 Sulfur Candle; 234025 Sulfur Burner

To find many more just search the patent website with the CCL 422/160

Some success.

axehandle - 20-4-2004 at 10:53

Had I known that burning sulfur is this complicated, I would have killed myself instead of starting this project. Now I must succeed. Sigh.

Edit: One thing springs to mind though. It's probably best to separate the burner into two devices: A sulfur melter (giving molten sulfur at a KNOWN temperature) and a sulfur burner.

The output from the burner can then be cooled to the right temperature in two ways: Water cooling to lower the temperature, increasing the rate of molten sulfur entering the burner to increase the temperature.

Edit2: There's one thing I'm going to try right away. Heating molten sulfur to its auto ignition temperature and see if contact with a Pt wire ignites it. If that works, I can keep my old design.

Damned, downscaling is HARD!

Edit3: Molten sulfur does not combust even at its auto-ignition temperature when exposed to Pt. Hah, my 1st real scientific result!

Edit4: It's 01:25 here and I just cast the lid for the melter/burner. How? I filled the cavity almost to the top with anhydrous NaCL, put two copper pipes where they were supposed to be, and strapped copper sheet around the top of the vessel, forming an edge around the top. Then I just poured Al in there. Only thing that remains is drilling and threading the refill nipple hole, and ofcourse flushing out the NaCl using water.

Pictures will follow as soon a the thing has cooled down. I love casting aluminum.

No fires this time though.... pity :).

Edit5: <b>I'll keep my old design,</b> btw. One time throw-away NiCr igniters, screwed into the lid, will do just nicely.

Nope, failure.

axehandle - 20-4-2004 at 17:12

The lid isn't airtight. Probable cause: Thermal expansion of the bottom half as a result of the lid being poured, then thermal constriction as it all cooled.

Tomorrow I'll do something fun (this is irony): I'll glue sandpaper onto a table and sand the edge of the bottom perfectly even. Then I'll cast a circular aluminum plate with the same diameter and sand that one as well. Then I'll drill, thread, and put a hinge on, so that the lid can be opened and closed easily. That <b>should</b> make an airtight, or almost airtight, seal. And it that doesn't work, I'll <b>weld</b> the little fucker in place. Or perhaps make lots of holes around the edge, thread them and then <b>bolt</b> the damned thing in place. I've never met a piece of Al that does not yield to a 8/8 M10 bolt.

Here's the vessel with failed the lid on:

and here you can see the failed lid (the depressions in the center are due to the NaCl crystals I filled the bottom with prior to casting:

Blast.

[Edited on 2004-4-21 by axehandle]

I don't mean to come off sounding like a dickhole...but...

Hermes_Trismegistus - 20-4-2004 at 18:59

With all due respect, I think you may be too close to this to continue to see clearly, the most intelligent way to the finish line.

You are like a man who is trying to get laid, and have starting looking for you're true love and shopping for wedding rings.

Fuck it, just rent a crackwhore.

You're not building a sulfuric acid generator, you are building a Swedish monument. You are building axehandle's first sculpture. Those walls to that little pot are thick enough to withstand a direct hit from a mortar shell.
----------------------------------------------------------
Dow chemical made a crapload of money making more sulfuric acid than anyone else, they did it by completely ignoring conventional wisdom.

They built a cheap shack, stuck a woodstove in the middle, mopped and sloshed common tar all over the inside walls of the shack, and slapped a bucket of sulphur on top of the woodstove. They sucked the fumes out of the top of the room and bubbled them through water.

VOILA!

Sulphuric acid. When the shack sprung leaks, they just sloshed more tar in it, and when the tar became hopelessly contaminated/vulcanized/polymerised from the sulphur fumes after a couple years of use, they just burned the fucker down.

SO, a suggestion.

1. put the aluminum ingots away. and breathe deeply.
2. Try to get out of the "Old World Craftsmanship" frame of mind and start thinking "Quick and Dirty"

Make a square box, smear the walls with roofing tar and stick one of these in the middle.

http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture1/chuntai/ch050.html

and if that doesn't work, just use a cheap glass alchohol burner.

I don't want to come off looking like an assface(but I probably will), after all when I want a litre a HSO4 I just wander down to the store and buy one.

But we've all been waiting around and watching you jerk off for long enough. It's not that we haven't been rooting for you, but stop screwing around and close the deal.

The principle is simple, burn sulphur, collect fumes, bubble through water.

What is swedish for?
YOU CAN DO IT....PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT!

Geomancer - 20-4-2004 at 19:20

Amusing post, Hermes, but it won't work. Burning sulfur creates SO<sub>2</sub>, mostly. You want SO<sub>3</sub>.

While I disagree with some of axehandle's design choices, it's not the kind of project you can get done in a day, at least not if you use the contact process. Remember, my sulfur burner (assembled in an hour or two) didn't work either. Much of this is due to the fact that my so-called sulfur refused to behave like it should (I have yet to obtain good sulfur, which is why my experiments have stopped in this area.), but my design had other flaws, and may have failed regardless.

Besides, axehandle's more grandiose creations are simply fun.

BromicAcid - 20-4-2004 at 19:26

Quote:

They built a cheap shack, stuck a woodstove in the middle, mopped and sloshed common tar all over the inside walls of the shack, and slapped a bucket of sulphur on top of the woodstove. They sucked the fumes out of the top of the room and bubbled them through water.

Violla

Sulfuric Acid.

Don't you mean Sulfurous Acid? Personally I think you could just go with a sulfur candle in a big jar with two tubes, one entering and one exiting. That's why I threw up the patents for sulfur candles. Regardless, axehandle's design is very interesting and I admire his perseverance, he is exceptionally mad and dedicated, sure there were easier ways but he wants to do it professionally.

I stand corrected on the matter of SO2/SO3.

Hermes_Trismegistus - 20-4-2004 at 21:22

and if it wasn't for my supreme respect for the importance of keeping the threads integrity, I would immediately delete/adjust my comments.

But I value the flow and understandabiliyt of the this thread more than any desire to avoid looking dumb.

(it helps that I'm certain my past voiced appreciation of axehandle's efforts and superior intelligence will not go unnoticed to him, and that I believe my tongue in cheek humor is well known to all)

axehandle - 21-4-2004 at 04:12

I got the joke, and yes I'm mad. Or perhaps insane. But c'mon, there's a <i>reason</i> I'm using Al in huge quantites: Lead would melt, stainless steel is a pain to work with, and most everything else is either 1) corroded by molten sulfur and/or SO2 or 2) ceramic (I hate ceramics) or 3) expensive as gold. Literally.

And Hermes, I can't speak for all Swedes, but there's no way I'm going to put my <b>back</b> into it. My back is very bad. I will put my arms into it though..... :) Masturbation works wonders as workout.

Edit1: I'll explain my design by stating the design goals later, right now I have to go and see my probation officer.

vulture - 21-4-2004 at 05:51

Quote:

Those walls to that little pot are thick enough to withstand a direct hit from a mortar shell.

Amusing comparison, but that strength maybe necessary. An accident where hot SO3 vapor would come into contact with water would have the same power as a direct hit from a mortar shell.

Al Koholic - 21-4-2004 at 06:01

Indeed that would be something worth avoiding. Just wondering but have you thought about placing a trap between the output (SO3) and the burner. Perhaps one would also help between output and catalyst tube. Traps are invaluble when working with reactive/soluble gases. Also, I think if your're worried about the gas being too hot (which I can easily imagine), the trap between the burner and the catalys tube will definetly help too cool your stream. You could even use a variable insulating jacket to help moderate the temp.

BTW, it looks like the holes you have in the lid up there are expanded as you said. Out of curiosity, why didnt you just drill the holes and thread them? Al is so easy to machine!

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by Al Koholic]

Design goals.

axehandle - 21-4-2004 at 08:05

Quote:
BTW, it looks like the holes you have in the lid up there are expanded as you said. Out of curiosity, why didnt you just drill the holes and thread them? Al is so easy to machine!

Because I'm an idiot, albeit one with some degree of hindsight...
Quote:

Amusing comparison, but that strength maybe necessary. An accident where hot SO3 vapor would come into contact with water would have the same power as a direct hit from a mortar shell.

See design goals 1, 2, 3 and 12.

OK, here are my design goals:

1) Safety.

2) Safety.

3) Did I mention safety?

4) Compactness. The maximum allowable
size of the machine is 500x500x500mm.

5) Modularity. All parts should fulfill 1
function only, and be easy to replace.

6) Longevity. The parts should withstand
at least 1/2 year of continous use.
Notable exception: filters, which must be
easy to replace.

7) Automation. The machine should be able
to run unattended, shutting itself down
immediately if any alarm thresholds are
exceeded.

8) Availability of materials. With the
exception of the catalyst, anyone should
be able to duplicate the machine with a
minimum of raw materials. Other
catalysts can be employed, however. I
chose V2O5 because 1e06 chemical plant
engineers can't be wrong.

9) Minimization of ancilliary feeds. In English,
the machine must run only on water,
electricity, air and sulfur. Its only waste
products should be heat, air, water, SO2,
and H2SO4. The last one isn't technically
a waste product, but I list it here anyway.

10) Efficiency. At least 80% of the generated
SO2 must be converted to SO3.

11) Leaklessness. The machine must be able
to run indoors.

12) Safety. Didn't I mention this before...?

Those are the major design goals. I will take
no shortcuts, and under no circumstances
violate design goals 1, 2, 3 and 12.

Edit: Can't do much right now, lack these tools in M16 size, as well as Al round bar:

Will buy the tools and roundbar tomorrow (together with more Al plate to melt.... :))

Yes, I'm going to make my own Al pipe sections. Only way to be sure the walls are thick enough. Gaseous SO3 at 500C would
be like gaseous chainsaw..... *shudder*.

In hindsight I did forget one thing

Hermes_Trismegistus - 21-4-2004 at 13:26

The Dow process did include one thing I forgot to mention, the addition of chilean saltpeter to the sulfur prior to burning in air.

A small victory for mankind, but a great one for me.

axehandle - 21-4-2004 at 21:17

Quote:

The Dow process did include one thing I forgot to mention, the addition of chilean saltpeter to the sulfur prior to burning in air.

Just like in the lead chamber process. The NO catalyses the reaction according to:

-----------
NO2 + SO2 --> SO3 + NO
NO + 1/2 O2 --> NO2
-----------

I STILL can't find anything suitable for dissolving copper pipe while leaving the Al more or less intact. Not anything economically feasible at least. I would need about 10kg of sodium persulfate (used for etching PCB boards) for my purpose, and the damned thing would cost a fortune.

Right now I have a piece of Al sheet and a piece of Cu sheet in a saturated sulotion of NaHSO4 (sodium bisulfate). Nothing seems to happening to either of the metals. I'll give it a few hours.

Edit1: I have an idea though, that could eliminate the need for watercooling everywhere except for the SO3 stream and absorber tank: Heat sinks. Huge, aluminum plate heatsinks. Now I have to calculate heat dissipation etc....

... which reminds my that I've forgotten how....

Could anyone with his/her physics in more recent memory provide me with a formula that gives the heat dissipation in W given a room temperature of 25C, the material Al, a temperature differential of about 600C, and a surface area of x?

Edit2: I still have to find some way of servo-controlling a water valve... this might be tricky. Actually, using oil and a heat exchanger may be less suicidal.

Edit3: If all goes well, I can <b>test my catalyst tonight, since I found the threading tools! For cheap! !</b>

Edit4: Now I'm going to be a bad boy and go out and buy some NaOH. That should take care of both copper and aluminum. Better use a dilute solution though.... wouldn't want the hydrogen developed to rupture the Al block.....

Edit5: Bah, the NaOH does a very good job on the aluminum. The copper erodes much more slowly. Grrrrrr.

[Edited on 2004-4-22 by axehandle]

Aquisition.

axehandle - 22-4-2004 at 05:11

What's in the picture, and a thermostatically controlled hotplate I just couldn't resist buying considering how much work it will spare me.

Plus 10kg of powdered SiO2, and 1kg of bentonite clay. Now I only need a bottle of motor oil, then it's sand-casting time.

The only problem is: What am I supposed to eat for the next 5 days? This set me back about 70 Euro.....

EDIT1: I'm considering returning the M16 sized cutters and get M20 instead. Better wall thickness. Perhaps even M22.
EDIT2: Nah, I'll keep them AND get M20 dies.

Saerynide - 22-4-2004 at 06:12

Whats the motor oil for?

axehandle - 22-4-2004 at 06:14

Keeping the SiO2/bentonite/water mix together.

How about powdered gypsum

Hermes_Trismegistus - 22-4-2004 at 08:41

considering in the extreme difficulty you have in getting acids, I think that trying to find enough of an acid to dissolve out the copper pipe from a block of Al is not efficient....

Perhaps you may look again at the aluminum coil in aluminum block idea(it does seem elegant doesn't it?) , even if the aluminum pipe gets brittle or cracked in the bending, the Al block should take care of any leaks, also there would be remelting on the surface of the pipe. It would actually be annealed in the process.

Talk to your metal dealers about aluminum alloys that may be more flexible than others.

Filling the pipe with powdered gypsum might be the trick. then blowing the gypsum coud be blown out with compressed air at a local filling station.

Maybe looking at the caro's acid archive in this forum would help, I think it would attack both copper and aluminum but the dissolving would actually be a timed "burn" anyway right?

Pages:  1  2