Sciencemadness Discussion Board

2023 Science Madness Secret Santa – The fun begins!

Pages:  1  

j_sum1 - 7-10-2023 at 21:07

Ho Ho Ho.

It is that time. And I am not talking about holmium.
This is the site where you can sign up to this year's Secret Santa. Add any thoughts or discussion if you wish. (I will close the other thread.)

No real big changes this year. Sign up finishes at the end of October.

[Edited on 5-11-2023 by j_sum1]

B(a)P - 7-10-2023 at 23:33

Thanks for organising for another year j_sum1!

charley1957 - 8-10-2023 at 05:49

Yes! Best online fun anywhere!

DraconicAcid - 8-10-2023 at 08:07

Me! Me!

Admagistr - 8-10-2023 at 08:20

That's fine, it's just a pity you don't want to organize an exchange of postcards, or at least postcards in an envelope in which you can send a small gift as a private letter without going through customs...

j_sum1 - 8-10-2023 at 10:58

Quote: Originally posted by Admagistr  
That's fine, it's just a pity you don't want to organize an exchange of postcards, or at least postcards in an envelope in which you can send a small gift as a private letter without going through customs...

You can still sent cards or small items in envelopes. Just ask for a list of addresses. I am just not going to organise it formally the way I did last year – it was a lot of extra work to put together a second permutation of names.

Names

MadHatter - 9-10-2023 at 08:06

A list of participants would be good. I make the list cumulative(year over year) to include
people we haven't heard from in some time. Picked out the card already.

Chem Science - 9-10-2023 at 09:03

Hi :D
I want to see how these works, where can i find rules and how to participate.

Admagistr - 9-10-2023 at 09:05

You can still sent cards or small items in envelopes. Just ask for a list of addresses. I am just not going to organise it formally the way I did last year – it was a lot of extra work to put together a second permutation of names.[/rquote]

This is good news,thank you!I will participate in this way.Thank you j_sum1 for organizing this great event!Please send me the list of addresses.

Dr.Bob - 9-10-2023 at 12:22

I'm in, always a fun time. Thanks to j_sum1.

j_sum1 - 11-10-2023 at 17:23

Giving this a bump.
Sign in link is on the first post.

j_sum1 - 15-10-2023 at 21:03

Bumpity bump bump.

Only six signed up so far. I know how this works -- you stall on signing up because you still have a couple of weeks and you want to take some time to put the details in properly.

I would hate to have anyone miss out and there are some very notable absences at the moment.

SnailsAttack - 22-10-2023 at 16:59

Quote: Originally posted by Chem Science  
Hi :D
I want to see how these works, where can i find rules and how to participate.
Arkoma summarized the event nicely in last year's SMSS thread. This was the first one I was apart of and I really enjoyed it.

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Bumpity bump bump.

Only six signed up so far. I know how this works -- you stall on signing up because you still have a couple of weeks and you want to take some time to put the details in properly.
I've still gotta take stock of what nice chemicals I'd like to send (guess who bought too much oxalic acid last month?). I already have a few bottles labeled with my 'nice' handwriting.

j_sum1 - 25-10-2023 at 22:20

Only a few more days to get your info in. (And that includes me.)
I notice a number of regulars have not signed up yet. It would be bad to miss out. (There are a couple of mods on that list too.)

I will endeavour to message you your recipient details before Friday next week.

Texium - 26-10-2023 at 10:16

I believe I filled it out, but now you have me second guessing myself…

j_sum1 - 26-10-2023 at 11:59

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
I believe I filled it out, but now you have me second guessing myself…

No. You're in.

DraconicAcid - 26-10-2023 at 12:41

Just remembered that I actually had to fill in the form, not just pipe up "I'm in!"

averageaussie - 29-10-2023 at 16:21

hey all, how does this actually work?
want to join, but don't know what I need to do.

Edit: just read last years post, and don't think I will join. not enough money to buy things for others + anything I can buy will need to go through my parents first, who aren't the most friendly to the idea of sending lab things to strangers.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, Average.

[Edited on 30-10-2023 by averageaussie]

DraconicAcid - 29-10-2023 at 16:29

Quote: Originally posted by averageaussie  
hey yall, how does this actually work?
want to join, but dont know what I need to do.

Fill out the form (link in the top post). You'll be assigned a "Secret Santee" and a "Secret Santa". You send a chemistry-related gift to your Santee; and your Santa sends one to you. All in good fun.

averageaussie - 29-10-2023 at 16:31

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Quote: Originally posted by averageaussie  
hey yall, how does this actually work?
want to join, but dont know what I need to do.

Fill out the form (link in the top post). You'll be assigned a "Secret Santee" and a "Secret Santa". You send a chemistry-related gift to your Santee; and your Santa sends one to you. All in good fun.

Hi, thanks for that. read through the post, and have edited my previous one.

DraconicAcid - 29-10-2023 at 16:52

You don't have to send lab things. Some people send T-shirts, nifty rocks, local knick-knacks, etc.

averageaussie - 29-10-2023 at 19:31

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
You don't have to send lab things. Some people send T-shirts, nifty rocks, local knick-knacks, etc.

I know, but the first problem of money still applies. I don't earn much, and there really isn't anything that is worth sending over, money aside.
there aren't really any t-shirts exclusive to Australia (outside of REALLY tacky ones with some stupid slogan on them that annoy me to no end), same with nifty rocks (most unique thing would be opal but you can still get that elsewhere + far too expensive for me, and anything cheap enough for me to purchase is hella boring.)

Almost all local knick-knacks are just really tacky "I LOVE AUSTRALIA" merch with a kangaroo with the colours of the Australian flag, or a koala plush with a stereotypical cork hat with Aussie flag on it.
Cards are also out of the equation, my handwriting is atrocious, and I don't even know what I would write.

Sorry to disappoint everyone (again), but I will be skipping out on secret santa.
Average.

Tdep - 30-10-2023 at 15:50

I'm in! I even filled out the form yesterday, a shocking whole day before the deadline... I'm unsure if I've ever completed a task so early before a deadline before! I might have turned over a new leaf! ((I actually thought October only had 30 days. Now i'm ahead of deadlines and feeling lost...))

Looking forward to the secret santa! Thanks for organising this again Jsum!

j_sum1 - 31-10-2023 at 00:36

There are just hours left to sign up. (Probably 72 hours if I am realistic.)

I get the feeling that for many if us it has been "one of those years". SS might just be the kind of positive end you need.
Remember, it does not need to be extravagant. Just being able to connect with like-minded individuals could be the lift you need. If you have needed some convincing, just do it. :)

J.

charley1957 - 31-10-2023 at 05:50

Come on y’all, this is fun! You never know how it will turn out. One year I got the guy exactly what was on his list, never got a thank you, kiss my ass, anything. Next year I spent a LOT of money sending something to Europe. The guy tracked me down somehow, thanked me PROFUSELY, and that made me feel really good. No matter how it goes, it’s always great fun. Last year I missed it somehow, not purposely, and I sorely regretted it. It’s the best fun I’ve had online with like minded people.

violet sin - 31-10-2023 at 20:57

Finished it @ 9:55 on Halloween, kinda close but made it

Maine Post Cards

MadHatter - 1-11-2023 at 14:19

Fellow Mad Scientists,

I just put my card order in. Those of you who know can count on 2 things:

1) It will have "Maine" in it somewhere.
2) It'll be humorous.

Last 2 times it was bear treats and a lobster bitching at a turkey about a "menu".

I look forward to getting the new cards out. I'll let y'all know when I mail them.

Raid - 1-11-2023 at 17:28

Yesssss, Its back again.
I love you J_sum1, Thanks for another great year!

j_sum1 - 4-11-2023 at 17:54

Hey all.
Now the fun gets to start.

Registration has now closed. Sorry if you missed out.
Allocations have been done and sent out via U2U. (I decided not to send duplicate emails this year.)
If for some reason you missed your message then let me know and I will re-send it.

I am off to find some goodies for someone on the other side of the globe. Cool stuff.

Use this thread for further discussion of SS and for documenting the glee at unwrapping time.

B(a)P - 5-11-2023 at 14:11

Hey all.
Now the fun gets to start.

Registration has now closed. Sorry if you missed out.
Allocations have been done and sent out via U2U. (I decided not to send duplicate emails this year.)
If for some reason you missed your message then let me know and I will re-send it.

I am off to find some goodies for someone on the other side of the globe. Cool stuff.

Use this thread for further discussion of SS and for documenting the glee at unwrapping time.

Thanks very much j-sum1! Luckily I have a very appropriate gift on hand for my recipient. I will find something local for them as well to top up the stocking. Let the fun begin indeed!

Holiday Cards

MadHatter - 7-11-2023 at 15:13

The cards came in earlier than expected. They'll be sent out shortly.

Raid - 9-11-2023 at 10:01

Hello, I reached out to j_sum about my registration but he has not responded and it's been about 4 days.
I was wondering if there are any other people who have the administrative power to see if my registration has been successful.
Thanks

j_sum1 - 9-11-2023 at 10:48

I sent a U2U explaining why you are not registered this time around.
That has not changed.
Join in next year.

Raid - 9-11-2023 at 12:59

Did you read my U2U?

Chem Science - 9-11-2023 at 15:09

Hey Guys, if i don't know really what to send to someone, can i message he/she and ask for general interest, or does that ruin the fun ? Because, i don't want to send something that doesn't match.

Texium - 9-11-2023 at 15:22

That would ruin the fun. Try to find something fitting based on the info you were sent. If the info wasn’t clear enough, that’s on them, not you. j_sum1 can be an intermediary if you have specific questions that need to be answered.

Holiday Cards

MadHatter - 10-11-2023 at 16:01

Had 29 on my SM composite list this year. Cards went into the mail at 4:10 PM EST.

Breakdown as follows:

International(15): Argentina - 1, Australia - 4, Canada - 3, Czech Republic - 1,
France - 3, Germany - 1, Italy - 1, Japan - 1

USA(14): Arkansas - 1, California - 2, Georgia - 1, Kentucky - 1, Maryland - 1,
Minnesota - 1, North Carolina - 2, Oregon - 1, New York - 1, Texas - 2, Utah - 1

Let me know when you'all receive your cards.

It's my hope that the list keeps on expanding.

In the meantime, I'm still looking for a a gift for my Santee.

[Edited on 2023/11/11 by MadHatter]

Raid - 10-11-2023 at 16:47

I wonder who else is from Minnesota besides me on here?

DraconicAcid - 13-11-2023 at 15:55

That reminds me- it's okay to open up your present as soon as you get it, rather than waiting for Dec 25th. That way your Santa isn't left wondering if it arrived or not.

SnailsAttack - 13-11-2023 at 18:27

Quote: Originally posted by MadHatter  
Had 29 on my SM composite list this year. Cards went into the mail at 4:10 PM EST.

Just got your postcard tonight. I didn't expect to receive anything this year since I totally blanked on the signup date.. guess you must've had my info from last year's event. Thanks for sending me one, feels like I wasn't left out.

Mailing List

MadHatter - 14-11-2023 at 14:31

You're correct. My mailing list is cumulative. I send cards to members on the list whether
they're signed up for Secret Santa or not. I want people to know that we think of them
even if they can't participate in the current Secret Santa. Thanks for letting me know !
It's appreciated.

MadHatter

P.S. Geographically you're the closest person to me so I'm not surprised that you received
your card 1st. Where you're at the climate is probably on par with my location here in
Maine.

[Edited on 2023/11/14 by MadHatter]

PYRIDINEyade - 16-11-2023 at 01:02

I received my Secret Santa present. Thanks! Can’t wait to open it!

It's time for me to get ready to send Secret Santa present too.

violet sin - 16-11-2023 at 08:47

MadHatter, thanks for the card! I got it yesterday and laughed heartily. My son heard me chuckle and asked what was so funny, I read it to him got some more laughs. Always nice get one of your cards

Dr.Bob - 16-11-2023 at 17:04

Mad Hatter,

Got your postcard yesterday, it reminded me of a weekend in Vermont one winter many years ago. I have barely been in maine, just flew through Portland once. But maybe I can get back one fo these days for a vacation, but in the Summer or Fall, not winter. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Texium - 16-11-2023 at 19:08

I got the card this morning, thanks!

charley1957 - 17-11-2023 at 11:43

Got your Christmas card MadHatter! It was wicked funny! I lived in Portland for a couple of years back in the late 70’s. I’m reminded of how y’all talk when I go to visit my sisters in Mass. or New Hampshire. The card is going up on my refrigerator! Thanks!

valeg96 - 19-11-2023 at 02:17

Quote: Originally posted by PYRIDINEyade  
I received my Secret Santa present. Thanks! Can’t wait to open it!.

You should open it and check it for technical reasons (if it's broken and needs replacement or a refund) as you can do that only within a short amount of time.

PYRIDINEyade - 19-11-2023 at 04:11

Quote: Originally posted by PYRIDINEyade  
I received my Secret Santa present. Thanks! Can’t wait to open it!

It's time for me to get ready to send Secret Santa present too.

I opened my present and found a Soxhlet extractor in it.
I've been wanting a Soxhlet extractor for a while now, and it's in there! How wonderful!
Thank you, Santa.

F_CwT7qawAA9oFi.jpg - 258kB F_CwT7vasAE2JRH.jpg - 334kB

DraconicAcid - 19-11-2023 at 09:11

Nice!!

Santee

MadHatter - 20-11-2023 at 08:35

Just ordered for my Secret Santee ! And away we go !

j_sum1 - 20-11-2023 at 12:57

Likewise.
Packaged up and ready for the post this afternoon.

PYRIDINEyade - 20-11-2023 at 23:41

Mad Hatter, thanks! I got your postcard just now.
I'm actually a little excited because this is the first time I've ever gotten a letter from someone from a foreign country.
”MADHATTER (MOTTOMO KURUTTA)” made me laugh.
A merry Christmas to you.
ヽ(・∀・)ノ

Phosphor-ing - 21-11-2023 at 07:50

Sorry I missed it this year. :( I have been so busy I haven’t even logged in here in several months. My chemistry gift is the highlight of the gifts I receive at Christmas.

Phosphor-ing - 21-11-2023 at 07:51

Sorry I missed it this year. :( I have been so busy I haven’t even logged in here in several months. My chemistry gift is the highlight of the gifts I receive at Christmas.

B(a)P - 22-11-2023 at 02:41

Breakdown as follows:

International(15): Argentina - 1, Australia - 4, Canada - 3, Czech Republic - 1,
France - 3, Germany - 1, Italy - 1, Japan - 1

USA(14): Arkansas - 1, California - 2, Georgia - 1, Kentucky - 1, Maryland - 1,
Minnesota - 1, North Carolina - 2, Oregon - 1, New York - 1, Texas - 2, Utah - 1

It's my hope that the list keeps on expanding.

In the meantime, I'm still looking for a a gift for my Santee.

Hi MadHatter, My card arrived in the post today. Thanks so much!

valeg96 - 22-11-2023 at 06:44

France - 3

I received mine, thank you very much!

j_sum1 - 23-11-2023 at 13:36

Nicely done, Madhatter.
All I can say is, if I ever visit Maine, I'm coming in summer.

Admagistr - 23-11-2023 at 13:42

MadHatter, I received your postcard-thank you very much!You made progress in the Czech language;-)!But last time you wrote it quite well, but now it was even better and perfect:-)!No one would know that you are not from our country!

DraconicAcid - 23-11-2023 at 15:27

Thanks for the card, Madhatter! It brought back memories of my homeland of rural Alberta, where the winter wind feels like a flensing knife!

j_sum1 - 29-11-2023 at 23:14

Package arrived today. It took a slightly circuituous route due to a random digit inserted in the address. But everything arrived safely.
A lovely sample of holmium and two beautiful flasks. Flasks seem to be quite thick glass which is perfect for my occasional clumsiness.

Thanks Santa.

warteo - 30-11-2023 at 01:45

Got the card yesterday Madhatter. Much appreciated indeed, thank you!
I think you may have sent the Maine weather along with it though, 2 days before Aussie summer and I got blasted with hail and wind while collecting the mail.

Secret Santee Gift

MadHatter - 2-12-2023 at 09:26

Arrived at my home yesterday.

Went out to Secret Santee at 10:35 AM EST today. ENJOY !

Cards

MadHatter - 5-12-2023 at 09:12

Looks like my family and friends in Maryland/Pennsylvania have received their cards from
me. Some of them were stunned when I told them I mail all over the world. The
mad scientist in Japan got his card. I wasn't sure I had addressed it correctly. Even the
employee at my local post office wasn't sure. Saw him Saturday and told him that the
card has been received. Japan is 1 of 2 new address formats for me.

andyloris - 6-12-2023 at 08:36

Got the card two days ago. Thank you ! I had a good laugh with my family

Cards

MadHatter - 7-12-2023 at 15:06

Good to hear they're being received although that largely depends on the postal system
you have to deal with.

warteo, I don't know hold cold it got for you but we just went through what a day in
JANUARY looks like around here: Daytime high 30 F(-1 C), overnight low 9 F(-13 C).

Plenty of snow sticking around. 4WD vehicles are the rule, not the exception, here.

Texium - 7-12-2023 at 15:13

Here in Utah, the winter has not shown its face yet. Normally by this time we'll have had at least two days with a few inches of snow, starting as early as October. This year, there's been barely a sprinkling (in the city that is- the mountains have had good snow cover for awhile now).

B(a)P - 7-12-2023 at 15:37

Good to hear they're being received although that largely depends on the postal system
you have to deal with.

warteo, I don't know hold cold it got for you but we just went through what a day in
JANUARY looks like around here: Daytime high 30 F(-1 C), overnight low 9 F(-13 C).

Plenty of snow sticking around. 4WD vehicles are the rule, not the exception, here.

I think if warteo lives anywhere near me they will tell you the cold snap is well and truely over. It has been 30 C (86 F) plus for a couple of days and tomorrow is predicted for 41 C (106 F) where I live.

EF2000 - 8-12-2023 at 07:19

If instead of mild Maine weather you have received Moscow weather: -14 °C (feels like -19 °C) and 30 cm of snow, you know whom to blame :D

warteo - 9-12-2023 at 03:36

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  

I think if warteo lives anywhere near me they will tell you the cold snap is well and truely over. It has been 30 C (86 F) plus for a couple of days and tomorrow is predicted for 41 C (106 F) where I live.

I must not live near you at all. Here it was a one-off 30 yesterday and only 14 today instead of your 41. Not too unusual for the Victorian Central Highlands. Hopefully I can keep dodging those high temperatures for as long as possible.

Admagistr - 11-12-2023 at 09:54

I met Santa's helper.A few days ago I received my present!I was sick and I wasn't expecting it at all.The delivery lady knocked on my door and went up the stairs to the third floor, which is not usual, because she always rings downstairs, in front of the house.She also didn't ask me to sign for the package. She addressed me by my first name,if it was me.Interesting.Thank you to the still unknown Santa,probably from Germany!I will unwrap the package on December 24,I want a surprise under the tree!My package is on its way to far away Australia together with Santa!

Thank You Santa !

MadHatter - 11-12-2023 at 11:50

Got my gift today. I must've been a good boy this year(NOT !!!). It consists of 1 LB each
of: Air Float Charcoal, Barium Nitrate, Magnalium(-325 mesh), Strontium Nitrate and
Zinc Dust.

Lot's of hell going to be raised on New Year's Eve, guaranteed !

Thank You Very Much Santa B(a)P !

[Edited on 2023/12/11 by MadHatter]

DraconicAcid - 11-12-2023 at 14:21

Still waiting patiently, both for SS stuff, and for the stuff I ordered for myself while shopping for SS.....

(Sorry, but how was I supposed to resist once I started shopping?)

B(a)P - 11-12-2023 at 14:34

Got my gift today. I must've been a good boy this year(NOT !!!). It consists of 1 LB each
of: Air Float Charcoal, Barium Nitrate, Magnalium(-325 mesh), Strontium Nitrate and
Zinc Dust.

Lot's of hell going to be raised on New Year's Eve, guaranteed !

Thank You Very Much Santa B(a)P !

[Edited on 2023/12/11 by MadHatter]

Glad you like it! It was a little rushed in the end as I had organised something slightly more aligned to your wish list, but the supplier took my money and ran. All the best for the festive season!

PYRIDINEyade - 12-12-2023 at 07:55

I'll be able to send a gift tomorrow. I had a lot of trouble deciding what kind of gift to send, and it was my first time sending a package to a foreign country, so it took a lot of time.
Maybe it will arrive a few days before Christmas Eve.

[Edited on 12-12-2023 by PYRIDINEyade]

Admagistr - 12-12-2023 at 12:12

I am pleasantly surprised to find that a package from Australia is on its way to me!A few days ago a package arrived from Germany.Great!;)

violet sin - 12-12-2023 at 12:13

U2U to head elf failure again, so.. parcel went out and should land well ahead of time, enjoy

Also won't let me post in whimsy, absolutely random thoughts,.. same failure as trying to U2U ... Guess something is off with my account for the second time in a month.

[Edited on 12-12-2023 by violet sin]

j_sum1 - 12-12-2023 at 14:18

Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  
U2U to head elf failure again, so.. parcel went out and should land well ahead of time, enjoy

Also won't let me post in whimsy, absolutely random thoughts,.. same failure as trying to U2U ... Guess something is off with my account for the second time in a month.

[Edited on 12-12-2023 by violet sin]

Seems weird. I looked at your u2u priveleges and everything looked ok.
This might be above my pay grade.

violet sin - 12-12-2023 at 15:11

Lol still cant message you. I could message Textium no problem though. Weird.

I responded to your email with the letter I wanted to send you anyway. And everything is going good, so not like I have problems with my gift or nothing, I guess the niceties can wait.

Thanks for checking

Thanks SS !

andyloris - 19-12-2023 at 03:33

I got a bunch of organics, now I have so many project ideas I don't know with which one to start...
Got acetanilide, benzaldehyde, adipic acid, fumaric acid, boric acid, pyridine, ...
I probably forgot one...

Thank you very much SS !

charley1957 - 21-12-2023 at 05:58

I just got home today after several days away and found that my Secret Santa had delivered a package to me. There were quite a few chemicals, a radioactive sample, some raw pyrite, and a few other goodies. Compared to his, the one I sent out was downright boring! Thank you Secret Santa!

Texium - 21-12-2023 at 08:51

I haven’t received my package yet, but I hope I do soon, because I’ll be in Texas for two weeks starting Sunday! So, if I don’t post about it this week, it just means it didn’t arrive before I left, and I will receive it when I return in January.

j_sum1 - 22-12-2023 at 02:28

Merry Chrismas from my house to yours.
Enjoy our Christmas lights. (90 second vid)

Admagistr - 24-12-2023 at 17:28

Yesterday I unwrapped the presents,one came from Germany and the other from Australia.Thank you very much Santa:)!The present from Germany contained a mug with the Forum emblem.The present from Australia contained the Forum emblem which I can sew on my clothes.Also geological samples with volcanic rocks and obsidian and on the paper there are coordinates written in marker with a link to Google Earth. Then I got an unknown compound and a lot of small bottles of sets of dopant oxides for gem synthesis,they are a surprise for me so far,because they are very dirty,probably one sample got damaged in transit and contaminated the others a lot with brownish dust.I didn't know if there was some unpleasant toxicity compound among the oxides,so I didn't get around to cleaning them at home yet...I'm curious to see what I got;-)

DraconicAcid - 24-12-2023 at 18:23

Merry xmas, everyone! I'm relaxing with my kids tonight- maybe Santa will deliver something next week!

violet sin - 24-12-2023 at 20:13

Merry Christmas from my little family also! We are having a good time, despite me being sick from Friday evening on, lol. So many things to be greatful for. Enjoy your family time :)

remember the reason for the season, if you're of that kind of mind. "For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given" and if you're not of that mind, pardon my sentiment please.

I'm also hoping something will show in the near future, no worries, I'm sure everyone worked hard at getting their packages out on time.

Sir_Gawain - 24-12-2023 at 20:46

Merry Christmas everyone! And violet sin, thanks for the reminder!

B(a)P - 24-12-2023 at 22:27

All the best for the festive season everyone. I hope you are all enjoying some quality time with family and friends.

Admagistr - 24-12-2023 at 22:45

I also wish everyone a wonderful Christmas!I feel the same way as Violet sin;-)

j_sum1 - 25-12-2023 at 00:11

@Admagistr - did part of the package get damaged? Bummer!

Merry Christmas to all. To everyone reading this, I hope you get some wonderfil time with friends and family, enjoy some festive food anx a lot 9f laughs.

Here in my corner of Aus we have had a lovely relaxing day with good food, good drink, good conversation, sappy movie, lots of great gifts, and the ability to truly appreciate sir conditioning. It is currently settkng up for an evening storm, probably with big chunks of hail if recent trends are any indication.

I hope that your Christmas is equally good.
J.

charley1957 - 25-12-2023 at 05:23

@j-sum1 we just had hail here in Texas two days ago. It was pretty violent and I had to stop on the highway. Luckily no broken glass, but plenty of sheet metal damage. It’s an old truck so no big deal. Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Admagistr - 25-12-2023 at 07:43

@Admagistr - did part of the package get damaged? Bummer!

Hi J Sum1!The package was fine on the outside,but the dopants will be damaged,hopefully it's just one vial.Is there anything I should look out for?If so,I'll email you U2U.Thanks a lot!

Dr.Bob - 25-12-2023 at 08:00

Merry Christmas to all! I am sad as the package I sent a week ago (perhaps a bit too late for a Christmas package) is late, so someone will get a late Christmas present. So sorry, just too slow this year, had a few busy weeks in early Dec this year, and trying to find things in my messy storage spaces.

Hope everyone has a peaceful and joyful Christmas, and a Happy New Year in 2024.

Merry Christmas

MadHatter - 25-12-2023 at 09:24

To everybody on the board. Thought I had lost a tracking slip for my Secret Santee.
Found it but same information. Nothing after DECEMBER 7. Wonder what's going on.
Was sent out on DECEMBER 2.

Anyway, I hope everybody is a having a nice celebration with family and friends.

Party On

MadHatter - 27-12-2023 at 14:28

One of the advantages of being retired. I'll party, not heavily at any given time frame,
with family and friends. Some of my friends include Jim Beam and my Old Grandad.
Getting ready to ring in the New Year. Hope everybody is doing well. My NFL team, the
Ravens are doing fine ! Looking forward to the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

P.S. Still nothing on tracking for the gift I sent ! Still says DECEMBER 7 !

[Edited on 2023/12/27 by MadHatter]

DraconicAcid - 27-12-2023 at 16:21

W00T!!

Santa's delivery finally fought its way through Canada Post!

I got a nice bunch of chemicals, including ceric ammonium nitrate and cesium chloride!!

Thank you, Santa!

Texium - 27-12-2023 at 20:30

Excellent! Glad to know those made it through customs without a hitch ;)

Phosphor-ing - 4-1-2024 at 17:07

Forgot to post before Christmas. I received a package of chemicals even though I was not officially in this year’s secret Santa. You guy are awesome! This is by far the best community on the Internet!!!
Thank you to whoever stepped up and made my Christmas!

j_sum1 - 4-1-2024 at 17:20

Yes. I know who that was.
Awesome. I love this community.

valeg96 - 10-1-2024 at 02:01

I came back from the holidays and found a box from a certain japanese scientist.
It was filled with some interesting candy, pencils by mitsubishi and japanese erasers, some purple ink that spilled but it was well packaged, a couple glass bottles and a cute manga. Unfortunately I stopped studying japanese many years ago so I will not be able to read it.

It was a very nice collection of objects, surprising! It reminded me of when I had a japanese pen friend in high school, we would send each other lots of candy and random items and stationery, a nice nostalgic moment.
Thank you very much!

17048805306167593352185921532043.jpg - 2.5MB17048806300026078749075179732186.jpg - 2.2MB

EF2000 - 10-1-2024 at 03:36

Quote: Originally posted by valeg96  
and a cute manga. Unfortunately I stopped studying japanese many years ago so I will not be able to read it.

That's the first volume of "Onimai: I'm Now Your Sister!" (more literal translation: Older Brother Is Done For). About using science to transform useless older brother into a sister. Grandeous experiment, real breakthrough in recycling, isn't it? It would be easy to find English translation.

Pages:  1