Sciencemadness Discussion Board

N,N'-dimethyl ethylenediamine

andyloris - 28-12-2023 at 12:23

Hi,
I am planning the synthesis of an interesting copper complex (paper attached, the procedure is at the bottom of the 3rd page).
It needs N,N'-dimethyl ethylenediamine, also known as DMEDA. I am thinking I could make it from ethylene glycol and dimethylurea, but I am not sure the reaction would work.
It also seems expensive to buy. Has anyone got another route to source it ?

Thanks in advance !

Attachment: s1600536811025682.pdf (708kB)
This file has been downloaded 66 times

DraconicAcid - 28-12-2023 at 12:30

The diamine is only needed as a counterion, so why not make it with a different one? The potassium salt, at least, is very easily made and crystallizes nicely.

RustyShackleford - 28-12-2023 at 18:05

I think it could work, i did the glycol+ urea reaction to make ethylenediamine successfully, although i have to say its really not an easy, pleasant or efficient way to make it. I posted about it here: https://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15675... .
I think a better route would be to use the process i did optimized for ethyleneurea (details in the paper in thread i linked), methylate that with formalin and formic acid and finally hydrolyse. the methylation is described in this patent: US4864026

andyloris - 29-12-2023 at 04:20

@DraconicAcid I already made the sodium salt, but I want to try this specific salt as it is soluble in methanol, and growing crystals seems easier.
@RustyShackleford I don't have formalin (it is hard to find), so I am gonna try the route with MeNH2...