Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Amazon Water Destiller

Alkoholvergiftung - 12-1-2024 at 01:09

Has someone experience with the cheap water destillers from amazon? some of than a P.I.D controlled and i think they are good eneough for destilling alcoholc or recycle solvents.The amount of 4 liters that you can fill in with one charge sounds good too.

Admagistr - 12-1-2024 at 10:28

Quote: Originally posted by Alkoholvergiftung  
Has someone experience with the cheap water destillers from amazon? some of than a P.I.D controlled and i think they are good eneough for destilling alcoholc or recycle solvents.The amount of 4 liters that you can fill in with one charge sounds good too.

Post a link to what specific device you have in mind.

Alkoholvergiftung - 12-1-2024 at 11:17

https://www.vevor.de/destillierte-wassermaschine-c_10700/vev...

Sellers homepage because its there much cheaper

Sir_Gawain - 12-1-2024 at 11:37

It’s a modern alembic!
I wouldn’t use any stronger solvents than ethanol in it as it might melt the plastic bits.

Admagistr - 12-1-2024 at 11:56

I have experience with a similar device, it is manufactured in Singapore. I distill water in it for a sleep apnea machine. I have found that only 3 litres need to be distilled, otherwise the water smells because of the heating of the scale, there must be some organic matter in it. I thought about distilling ethanol in it as well, but I wasn't sure about the safety. Of course, the seller only recommends it for water distillation, since it's illegal to distill ethanol at home without a license. If I added KMnO4 to the water I could certainly then distill a slightly larger amount, but MnO2 or other manganese oxide-hydroxides would certainly deposit on the stainless steel. It is also recommended to add some alkaline hydroxide to the drinking water before distillation.

Admagistr - 12-1-2024 at 12:01

I didn't notice any solid deposits in the water after it evaporated, so the problem was only with volatile organics.

Alkoholvergiftung - 12-1-2024 at 23:18

So only good for alcohols with low boiling points?

Admagistr - 13-1-2024 at 03:59

Quote: Originally posted by Alkoholvergiftung  
So only good for alcohols with low boiling points?

I use this distilled water in a medical device and will use it for inorganic synthesis where minimal possible organic contamination doesn't matter. When my supply of deionized store-bought water runs out. The water is boiled so it is hopefully sterile and that is important. I'm pouring it into the storage bottle while it's still hot for disinfection.