Sciencemadness Discussion Board

1H NMR of some random compounds I made years ago

Texium - 18-3-2024 at 09:56

I had some extra NMR time yesterday, and decided to check out a couple of my home-made compounds that I made back in 2016 and unearthed recently while sorting my chemicals.

First, 4-bromonitrobenzene, prepared by nitration of bromobenzene and purified by recrystallization:
4-bromonitrobenzene.png - 93kB
Looks very clean, with the only visible impurity being a little bit of water (around 1.5). The tiny signals flanking the aromatic doublets are spinning side bands (artifacts), not impurities.

Next, some 2-octanone, prepared by Jones oxidation of 2-octanol:
2-octanone.png - 136kB
I'm quite pleased by the purity of this one as well! There are no visible impurities at all. I have yet to find the tertiary alcohol I made from this and methyl Grignard, but when I do, I'll have to see what it looks like too. I suspect it won't be so pretty.

That was from back when people were pursuing long-chain tertiary alcohols as catalysts for sodium production, before NurdRage demonstrated that we were all overcomplicating things and you can just use menthol. Who knows, maybe 2-methyl-2-octanol or something similar would also work, but there's little interest in it now when a readily available, naturally occurring alcohol gets the job done.