Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chemiolis's YouTube channel

Keras - 26-3-2024 at 01:34

Folks,

Any opinion on this channel? The guy seems to be pretty competent, but he sometimes works with chemicals which are hard, if not impossible, to obtain.

It’s interesting to see how he pulls chemicals out of his sleeve while working with cheap China made glassware.

I wonder if the barbiturate synthesis will remain there for long, so you might wish to download it if you’re interested in repeating the experiment.

dettoo456 - 27-3-2024 at 07:13

He probably just has accounts with Sigma, Thermo, TCI, etc. or works in a uni lab and orders some reagents through them. That’s how NileRed started his channel if I remember correctly.

His work is very interesting though, especially since there aren’t many videos with more in depth syntheses on YT. Plus he runs columns which is even rarer to see.

Precipitates - 27-3-2024 at 18:23

For me it's the ease with which he does these procedures.

I do find Explosions&Fire a bit more entertaining to watch though!

Keras - 28-3-2024 at 01:33

Quote: Originally posted by dettoo456  
He probably just has accounts with Sigma, Thermo, TCI, etc. or works in a uni lab and orders some reagents through them. That’s how NileRed started his channel if I remember correctly.

Still, he seems to suggest that he buys his products with his own purse, so…

But yeah, the chromatographic column separation was nice to see on a YouTube video.

bnull - 28-3-2024 at 03:04

I remember watching something from him, maybe the cubane synthesis (if I'm not mistaking him for someone else).

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
Still, he seems to suggest that he buys his products with his own purse, so…

... it seems he buys the glassware with what's left of the budget.

[Edited on 28-3-2024 by bnull]

Precipitates - 28-3-2024 at 18:10

Chemicals first, glassware second :D

Although some of his reagents are quite expensive e.g., uraninite, so he wouldn't want his glassware to fail!

He does make me feel better about my uncomfortably cheap glassware though.

Is sketchy glassware okay? Or is Chemiolis hiding glassware disasters, or very lucky? ;)

Rainwater - 28-3-2024 at 18:25

Cheap or expensive, old or new. if it doesnt pass review by the polariscope or polarized sheet, it dont get used

Precipitates - 28-3-2024 at 18:36

Thanks! Will have to try that - been looking for an objective way to test my glassware (without just heating it and seeing if it breaks!).