Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Third Party Labs for Hire (Need Reality Check)

Steam - 2-4-2024 at 13:05

Does anyone have any recomendations for third party labs for hire to run human cancer cell viability tests? I have contacted a couple US based companies such as Charles river and Pacifc Biolabs, but both might be a bit outside of my budget and require huge upfront payments of roughly $20,000 or so (not counting reagent acquisition costs).

I basically want to take wild cells and cancer cells (Human LOX-IMVI melanoma cells ), treat expose to several different compounds in DMSO, and then get a fractional viability counts (as normalized to DMSO). I think this can be done for under $10,000 (not including materials/equipment costs).

Perhaps someone here can give me a reality check. I am feeling a bit dishearted by the first two quotes.

clearly_not_atara - 3-4-2024 at 10:17

I'm pretty sure you will just kill the cells with DMSO... but anyway you should be able to run a clonogenic assay yourself, particularly if you think you're going to cure cancer

Texium - 3-4-2024 at 10:34

It's actually quite typical to use DMSO as the vehicle in cell toxicity assays, which generally include control populations with and without exposure to DMSO alone.

Precipitates - 3-4-2024 at 19:29

Definitely, at low concentrations you're totally fine:

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.07.06.png - 21kB

My results from a cell culture course I did a few years ago (1A2 cell line).