Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Scientific Diagramming Software

MagicJigPipe - 27-4-2011 at 22:36

Is there something that you guys can recommend? I already have ChemBioOffice and Electronics Workbench but I would like something that would make it easier to create diagrams (something that takes up A LOT of time for me right now because I do it in paint--and it looks like crap) quickly, neatly and efficiently.

A good example would be the following image (more examples here):

F2_6_Photo_Tube.gif - 13kB

A better example would be this image (how are things like this typically made? Like in a textbook. Are they drawn by artists usually? I can definitely tell that modern textbooks use computers, Quantum Chemistry and Spectroscopy 2nd Ed. by Engel being a GREAT example):

phototube.jpg - 18kB

Thanks!

m1tanker78 - 29-4-2011 at 13:10

I've used AutoCAD for years. In fact, I still have the habit of typing most commands. :D The rendering is very flexible. You can create exploded diagrams. I gather that's one of the features you're looking for.

SovereignSolip - 6-5-2011 at 07:58

Yeah auto CAD is excellent, and I can't imagine a program that can beat it out. Although Google Sketchup does work for simple purposes. AutoCAD does cost a couple grand iirc, google is free.

With either of these you should be able to render simple 3-d diagrams and take stills of them from any angle.