Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Hydrazine process with H2O2 and Ammonia and Methyl Ethyl Ketone

Chemistry Alchemist - 2-8-2011 at 04:53

Im new to organic chemistrz and trying to get into it, im looking into making Luminol and need Hydrazine. NurdRage has made a great video on it and ive studied it for a hour or so taking notes, but at the end of the video he mentions the Hydrogen Peroxide method, but it needs a catylist for it to work, so my question would be: What is this Catylist? and would this be more safer then the bleach method?

[Edited on 2-8-2011 by Chemistry Alchemist]

User - 2-8-2011 at 05:02

I dont think it is safer to use such a method, often these are industrial methods, look up some patents , get some books, investigate.
As long as you dont come up with a suggestion on what method to use there isnt much discussion here I'm afraid.

The synthesis as posted on this forum, posted by anonymous iirc is actual quite 'safe' , the term safe imo is nonsense when talking about hydrazine.Are you aware of the properties of this substance ?

Nicodem - 2-8-2011 at 10:27

We actually have a HYDRAZINE thread and its synthesis trough the hydrazone was discussed.

jon - 3-8-2011 at 19:58

KABOOM!! welcome to chemistry!!
the first thing you want to do is mess with a toxic/explosive chemical
priceless...

Chemistry Alchemist - 25-8-2011 at 04:08

ive got a whole chemistry channel already but none of organic chemistry, and the production of luminol required hydrazine sulphate so i was jsut seeing if there was a easier route to getting the hydrazine