Sciencemadness Discussion Board

testosterone from cholesterol

MeSynth - 31-8-2011 at 12:46

There are some patents that talk about using compouds that contain cholesterol as the starting material but none that actually start from it. I'm sure this has been covered in scientific journals. I'm interested in compounds like Winstrol (Stanozolol) and any other that has been proven to be useful to athletes without causing significant side effects. For example Winstrol does not convert into estrogen which is a really big deal when it comes to these kinds of substances. I attached the molecular structure of Cholesterol and Winstrol so the similarities can be seen. When I have the time I will do more reaserch and add more to this post.

200px-Cholesterol_svg.png - 5kB

220px-Stanozolol_svg.png - 4kB

#maverick# - 31-8-2011 at 14:20

winstrol is a interesting compound i have a friend who includes into his bodybuilding cycle, i used to know alot more about this stuff when i was into bodybuilding i forgot alot, but its nice cuz it doesnt aromatize into estrogen i believe therefore it saves the user money cuz they dont have to buy as much medication like clomid or nolvadex, just enough to restore the HPTA, since there are no increased levels of estrogen you dont have as much of a risk of gyno. Sorry i couldnt be more helpful

Roger86 - 3-9-2011 at 11:02

Why would you like to start from cholesterol when you could use DHEA?

You probably have read about this, but i will link anyway

http://www.steroidology.com/forum/chemical-study/123859-synt...

As far as i know DHEA is legal in usa and sweden.Of course cholesterol is cheaper, but the synthesis is going to be more complicated.I have actually tried Dianabol and Sustanon, and i can tell you the problem; the oral ones are going to wreck your liver, and the even a fool wouldnt inject himself with anything made in low tech home lab.

But im not here to judge, i hope you succeed in your synthesis, and if you do, i might even try the synthesis testosterone myself.

MeSynth - 29-9-2011 at 03:14

Quote: Originally posted by Roger86  
Why would you like to start from cholesterol when you could use DHEA?

You probably have read about this, but i will link anyway

http://www.steroidology.com/forum/chemical-study/123859-synt...

As far as i know DHEA is legal in usa and sweden.Of course cholesterol is cheaper, but the synthesis is going to be more complicated.I have actually tried Dianabol and Sustanon, and i can tell you the problem; the oral ones are going to wreck your liver, and the even a fool wouldnt inject himself with anything made in low tech home lab.

But im not here to judge, i hope you succeed in your synthesis, and if you do, i might even try the synthesis testosterone myself.

I thought cholesterol would be the starting compound since our body uses it as the starting compound. Thanks a lot for posting that link. I went and searched up the actual patent. I'll keep looking for a winstrol synth you guys.

scientician - 26-2-2012 at 00:35

Sorry to necro this thread. I know a great deal about steroid chemistry and need to feel important.

Most synthetic routes for making steroids are bio-catalyzed. The microbe Pseudomonas Testosteroni is used to manufacture testosterone from cholesterol. Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (common brewer's yeast) can do the same thing starting with DHEA in a process very much like making beer. Both are low-yielding, and if anyone could do it in a "kitchen lab" in any cost-effective manner I'd be shocked.

Winstrol is among the more difficult steroids to synthesize as it involves multiple steps and toxic reagents. It's not something I'd attempt minus a lab equipped with a proper fume hood, mostly because of the hydrazine.

DHEA is first catalytically reduced to an androstane, then a methyl magnesium halide or methyl lithium is used to methylate the ketone at carbon-17 to an alcohol. (Fortunately, steric factors actually favor the more biologically active stereoisomer in this case.)

The secondary alcohol at carbon-3 is then oxidized to a ketone. Just about anything will work in this case; MnO2, hypochloric acid, Oppenauer, chromic acid, whatever's easiest. At this point you've already got a very potent, liver toxic, orally bioavailable steroid.

This is where the synthesis starts to get tricky. Under very precisely buffered conditions, ethyl formate is used to selectively formylate carbon-2. Congrats, you now have the very potent and equally toxic anadrol-Z. (This is usually given to patients with terminal cancer or AIDS because it damages the liver so badly.)

Finally, you treat the steroid with hydrazine and dehydrogenate it to create the pyrazol ring.

I'd honestly have to say, it's safer (and likely cheaper,) for you to buy it on the street than attempt to do any of this in a home lab. Not that I'd endorse street use either. The endocrine system is a complex mistress, and will get very, very nasty if you abuse it.