Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Picric acid and Acetone Peroxide.

tom haggen - 25-3-2004 at 15:04

I've read that its dangerous to mix picric acid and acetone peroxide. I have a question regarding this. I was drying some picric acid over some CaCl the other day and it stained the jar a little. Well I dried some acetone peroxide on the same jar and some of the yellow stains seaped into the filter paper and into a very small amount of my acetonce peroxide. Is my acetone peroxide ruined now, and totally in danger of detonating?

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by tom haggen]

Haggis - 25-3-2004 at 15:29

Ahh yes...the good ol' problem of cross contamination.

Usually, ACID is bad to mix with peroxides. What I would do is this: stop using the same jar for everything.

Is the AP stained yellow as well? If so, throw the whole batch, or that small portion out.

Think of it this way, the best way to get rid of the excess quickly and for good is open air burning. Just take the affected material in flat piles, and touch off with a long match or extended lighter. You at least get to see some interesting stuff.

tom haggen - 25-3-2004 at 15:41

The part of AP that was contaminated was so small it would have been impossible to pick it out. What if I rewashed it with a sodium bicarbonate solution?

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by tom haggen]

The_Davster - 25-3-2004 at 17:13

Picric acid neutralized will form the weak primary sodium picrate.