Sciencemadness Discussion Board

NO2 mixture

slyder - 4-10-2011 at 00:44

Hello all !

Jared ledgard has announced on his website http://www.uvkchem.com/NO2.htm NO2 gas generating mixture in powder form does anyone know what kind of chemicals does contain in this mixture you dont need any acid all what you need its just to heat it to 50 degress and then NO2 gas is evolved ?

does anyone know what does contain in this mix ?

Thanks !

hissingnoise - 4-10-2011 at 04:41

Nope --- and the Ledgard connection is a real turn-off for me . . .
Then again, the misinformation in his PMoE just might be picking off the odd, murderous jihadist . . .

blogfast25 - 4-10-2011 at 04:48

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Nope --- and the Ledgard connection is a real turn-off for me . . .
Then again, the misinformation in his PMoE just might be picking off the odd, murderous jihadist . . .

What's PMoE stand for? I take it this Ledgard fellow has a reputation?

hissingnoise - 4-10-2011 at 05:10

I'm a bit surprised by this glaring omission in your knowledge-base, Gert!:D
"The Preparatory Manual of Explosives" is a heavy tome which should not be put down lightly, but rather should be flung very forcefully into a large rubbish bin or raging fire; whichever is nearest!
As useless as it is dangerous, some, er:(, unfortunates were fooled into buying the damn thing!

[Edited on 4-10-2011 by hissingnoise]

blogfast25 - 4-10-2011 at 06:33

Sorry to disappoint Hiss, but I've never taken an interest in explosives ever. Although I know there are exceptions I always thought that when I was much younger (and a science student) those of my age with such an interest to be dangerous fools. So the history of TPMoE blisfully passed me by, until this almost ripe (mellow certainly ;-)) old age!

Adas - 4-10-2011 at 07:52

It can be N2O5. But I am not sure if N2O5 decomposes at 50°C

hissingnoise - 4-10-2011 at 12:38

Quote:
So the history of TPMoE blisfully passed me by, until this almost ripe (mellow certainly ;-)) old age!

Every lucky streak runs out eventually . . .
Quote:
It can be N2O5. But I am not sure if N2O5 decomposes at 50°C

It can't be N<sub>2</sub>O<sub>5</sub> --- way too unstable!

AndersHoveland - 4-10-2011 at 23:41

My guess is that it is a mixture of sodium nitrite, potassium nitrate, and sodium bisulfate (NaNO2, KNO3, and NaSO4H).

NaNO2 + NaNO3 + (2)NaSO4H --> (2)Na2SO4 + H2O + (2)NO2

Or perhaps it could be KNO3 and sodium pyrosulfate, or KNO3 and sodium metabisulfite ?

(4)NaNO3 + Na2S2O5 + NaS2O7 --> (4)Na2SO4 + (4)NO2 ?

You could actually buy his secret powder, then perform tests on it to determine its actual composition.

Nitrogen dioxide is an extremely useful gas, more so than most chemists realise.

[Edited on 5-10-2011 by AndersHoveland]

AndersHoveland - 7-11-2011 at 03:29

Magnesium nitrate trihydrate usually begins to decompose giving off NO2 at 330 degC, but the temperature may likely be much less in the presence a solid form of an acid (such as sodium bisulfate).
Mg(NO3)2*(3)H2O can be made by heating a solution of NH4NO3 with Mg(OH)2 or Mg(CO3)2, then boiling out the water and thermally decomposing (at 150 degC) the hexahydrate to the trihydrate.

I have been thinking more about that secret mixture. I would be extremely surprised if it did not contain sodium nitrite. I just do not see any other way it could give off NO2 at such a low temperature.

[Edited on 7-11-2011 by AndersHoveland]