Sciencemadness Discussion Board

NMR Tree Diagram

qw098 - 25-10-2011 at 11:31

Hi Guys,

For the peak seen at 7.85ppm (shown below) which is pretty "clean", it seems to be a ddd. However, the smallest coupling constants don't add up. The two outside coupling constants are equal, but the two interior coupling constants are different than the outside coupling constants, and by a fairly large amount. Shouldn't the coupling constants in the same level all be equal for a ddd? I have attached a .jpg file to show what I mean.

In final my question is... what is wrong with this NMR Spectrum? If this is indeed a ddd why aren't the coupling constants adding up?!

Thanks!

ddd.JPG - 36kB

turd - 25-10-2011 at 12:32

You seem to miss the fact that in the bottom part of the tree the "branches" can cross. Think about it: what would a "ddd" look like for J=4,5,6 Hz? Pretty much exactly like your diagram, isn't it?

NMR has always been black magic to me, but this seems to make some sense. BTW: Are you sure you are looking at the correct proton? What does the signal of the proton at the other side of the double bond look like?

Satan - 25-10-2011 at 12:46

Post whole spectra.

qw098 - 25-10-2011 at 12:55

Thanks. Yes, you are right, I mislabeled my hydrogen. The chemical shift should correspond to the adjacent hydrogen.

Quote: Originally posted by turd  
You seem to miss the fact that in the bottom part of the tree the "branches" can cross. Think about it: what would a "ddd" look like for J=4,5,6 Hz? Pretty much exactly like your diagram, isn't it?

So... How would I draw my tree diagram and find the rest of my coupling constants?

Spectrum.JPG - 55kB

turd - 25-10-2011 at 13:15

Come one... I gave you the answer. :( If you make the tree for J=4,5,6 Hz it will be obvious which peaks form pairs.

BTW: This example is obviously simulated. No way a real NMR spectrum would look like this with the shifts being exact to the 5th significant place.

(Answer for the lazy: 6.0, 7.1, 7.9 Hz)

qw098 - 25-10-2011 at 13:42

Thanks for the response!

I did draw a diagram! And I got the answer!!! You sir, are AMAZING! :) Thank you a ton!!! To prove to you I drew the diagram please find it attached below :)

By the way... how was I suppose to know beforehand that there was overlapping between the bottom "branches"? Is this simply a guess I have to do? Also, may I add... how do I know which hydrogen the coupling constants (6.0, 7.1, 7.9 Hz) couple too. Of course it couples with one of the hydrogens I am drawing the "tree" for, but how do I know which other hydrogen as well?

Thanks a TON again, I really understand this now :) Awesome! :)

ddd (simulation).JPG - 9kB

[Edited on 25-10-2011 by qw098]

[Edited on 25-10-2011 by qw098]

qw098 - 25-10-2011 at 14:15

Nevermind, I finished my whole assignment thanks to you sir!!! I've had this assignment for THREE weeks now... thinking about it EVERYDAY and thanks to YOU sir.. I have figured it out!!!

Thank you x 10000000!!!!!!!! I can't thank you enough!!! That idea that the smallest branches can overlap was ingenious!! Thank you x infinity!

You are the best!! :)