Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Hotplate/Magnetic Stirrer Ownership

Hexavalent - 26-2-2012 at 01:20

Just curious as to how many users that are active actually own and use a hotplate/magnetic stirrer at home!:)

Bot0nist - 26-2-2012 at 06:06

Got my corning-320 from a member here for $100 usd. It was in beautiful condition, and is now indispensable in almost all of my lab time now. Even during room temp or strongly cooled reactions, the mag stirring is so wonderful. It has allowed me to really branch out and do reaction I didn't feel comfortable doing before I had it. Plus my wife loves it cause now I do NO chemistry in the kitchen, where as before I was often concentrating solutions (nothing nasty) on our electric stove.

Eliteforum - 26-2-2012 at 13:18

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Nice, I bought this;

*link removed*

this morning and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail! Can't wait!:)

You do realise posting the actual link from the auction you bid/won will make it easy for anyone to trace your real name/address?

Endimion17 - 26-2-2012 at 19:16

I've got experience working with magnetic stirrers and teflon-coated bars, but those are some things I can't afford... yet. ;)
I stick to flameworking glass rod stirrers and spinning them with a small DC motor. Old school. :cool:

ldanielrosa - 28-2-2012 at 01:32

Corning PC-351, the geekiest coffee cup warmer/mixer ever!

Don - 28-2-2012 at 07:03

My used PC-420 cost about $100. The sight and sound of my first magnetic stirrer in action took some getting used to.

I do :)

Art&Dreams - 28-2-2012 at 11:08

I have one. :)

Along with just about everything else.

Thermo.jpg - 28kB

Hexavalent - 2-3-2012 at 14:14

Quote: Originally posted by Eliteforum  
Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Nice, I bought this;

*link removed*

this morning and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail! Can't wait!:)

You do realise posting the actual link from the auction you bid/won will make it easy for anyone to trace your real name/address?

Damn! Crap! Yes! I removed it quickly once I saw what I'd done. I ordered a Stuart Scientific SM3, BTW, which arrived yesterday in great shape. The seller was even kind enough to send me a few stir bars gratis with it!:)

Mailinmypocket - 31-3-2012 at 15:39

I've just ordered an upgrade from my current PMC analog hot plate/stirrer which has served me extremely well, but it is time for an upgrade... Will be selling my current one also and will most likely post it here, very heavy duty and good quality.

Just bought this used from a biotech lab for 250$ CAD in new condition :P

[Edited on 31-3-2012 by Mailinmypocket]

untitled.png - 188kB

NitratedKittens - 26-2-2017 at 01:37

I don't think this really belongs in non-chemistry I'm thinking more like reagents and apparatus acquisition.

gdflp - 26-2-2017 at 07:01

Quote: Originally posted by NitratedKittens  
I don't think this really belongs in non-chemistry I'm thinking more like reagents and apparatus acquisition.

No reason to bump a 5yr old thread because of that. At this point, it really doesn't matter since the thread will only come up in searches anyway, but I would U2U a mod in the future instead of reviving the thread.