Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Metal carbides synthesis

kazaa81 - 30-4-2004 at 13:32

Can anyone write about synthesis of aluminium (Al4C3) and lead (Pb*C*)carbides?

Thanks for help

BromicAcid - 30-4-2004 at 14:29

It doesn't take long to find out how aluminum carbide is made if you look around on google.

2Al2O3 + 9C ---> Al4C3 + 6CO

Mind you this reaction takes place at very high temperatures, 1200 C +, neat stuff though, makes methane on reaction with water.

Lead carbide though, I don't think it exists, there might be a high carbon lead alloy but it is not a compound, atleast not one that is stable enough.

Next time, please search the web a bit before asking an easily answered question.

DDTea - 30-4-2004 at 18:20

I get the feeling this thread will be closed... So, while it's still here, I'll take advantage and ask another silly question (if people do not mind answering..). Why is Carbon used in reducing Carbonates to Carbides? I mean, can't you use a stronger reducing agent, such as powdered Sn or Zn, which would react more readily than Carbon, and thus allow the reaction to go at lower temperatures? Also, it would mean not having to work with poisonous and flammables CO fumes... :)

Marvin - 30-4-2004 at 23:03

Carbon is an extremly strong reducing agent at high temperatures, its very cheap, and its oxide doesnt contaminate the product.

vulture - 1-5-2004 at 01:22

That solved, this thread is going to be closed. :D