Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Methyl alcohol purification from fuel lube

math - 10-4-2012 at 05:33

Hello,

what would be the simplest/cheapest method to get klotz lube (0.5%) dissolved in otherwise pure 99.5% methanol?

Is distillation the only way or could one collect condensation vapors?

Thank you

weiming1998 - 10-4-2012 at 05:42

The liquid's boiling point is probably a long way from room temp, since the flash point is 520 F. So with proper ventilation (you don't want to go blind from exposure to too much methanol vapour, so I would consider either doing this outside or in a fumehood), you might be able to boil all the methanol away on a water bath, and leave most of the lube oil (or whatever it is) behind.

watson.fawkes - 10-4-2012 at 08:52

Quote: Originally posted by math  
what would be the simplest/cheapest method to get klotz lube (0.5%) dissolved in otherwise pure 99.5% methanol?
For a test, try an eyedropper and a test tube. 1 drop of the lube (~1/20 ml) with 10 ml of methanol. See if it dissolves. The web page says that it "blends with" methanol as a fuel, so it may just go into solution directly.

gutter_ca - 10-4-2012 at 10:48

Quote: Originally posted by math  
Hello,

Is distillation the only way or could one collect condensation vapors?

Thank you

I cannot understand your question. Are you wanting to get methanol from a mix? Or trying to dissolve this lube in MeOH?

ScienceSquirrel - 10-4-2012 at 11:01

I am sending this to Beginnings on the grounds that the question does not clearly indicate what the poster wants to do.

math - 17-8-2012 at 17:56

I'd want to get the methanol in pure form, without the lube or anything else in there.

Thank you

vmelkon - 20-8-2012 at 16:50

Why don't you buy some fondue fuel. Distill it and measure the vapor temperature to make sure you are getting pure methanol. I tried it once on a cheap brand and as far as I can tell, it is quite pure, maybe 99%.

zoombafu - 21-8-2012 at 07:09

You can buy methanol off the internet relatively easily, you can also get it from auto shops as way to remove water from fuel (HEET) or for racing fuel.