Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Creation of potassium carbonate

nerdalert226 - 9-5-2012 at 16:25

I am trying to synthesize K2CO3+NaOH from .9 molar potassium hydroxide solution and powdered sodium carbonate. I was wondering if both products would be perhaps soluble in the water so they would be difficult to separate in the solution.(just wondering) Also I was wondering if this synthesis is even possible, I balanced the equations myself but I may be wrong.

[Edited on 10-5-2012 by nerdalert226]

Pyridinium - 9-5-2012 at 16:59

Offhand, I think that reaction might be going the wrong way as far as solubility... the K2CO3 is much more soluble than the Na2CO3. I don't think you could really extract the NaOH into alcohol, either, because KOH is a lot more soluble in alcohol than NaOH is.

nerdalert226 - 9-5-2012 at 17:04

Thank you! I knew it was probably going to have solubility problems.:)

unionised - 10-5-2012 at 11:34

f you want potassium carbonate then drawing air through KOH solution will make it easily and cheaply ( if not especially fast)

AJKOER - 10-5-2012 at 12:42

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
f you want potassium carbonate then drawing air through KOH solution will make it easily and cheaply ( if not especially fast)

Adding carbonated water (H2CO3) to KOH may be faster and easier. You will have to buy the Seltzer water however, so not necessarily the cheapest synthesis.