Sciencemadness Discussion Board

FTP Server #2

Pages:  1  2  

Organikum - 25-8-2004 at 12:57

Thats no good idea I believe.
Better get some RAM for the server if you want to change something.
But to tell the truth:
DONT CHANGE ANYTHING IT WORKS PERFECT!!!!!

please?

PLEASE!

:D

ppl might please break down 190MB BOOK files to smaller pieces before uploading. Yes?
merci.

Heartily seconded!

Polverone - 25-8-2004 at 13:57

If you want to run the server on different hardware, PLEASE build a separate machine, test it, and try migrating the server duties over to it. Don't mess with a working machine. Remember how many problems Eliteforum's had with "beefy" but unreliable new hardware?

FTP service over a 10 megabit line is one of the easiest tasks imaginable for a server. I am sure your existing hardware (with the possible exception of hard disks, which can never be too large) is already overqualified by a factor of 10 for this duty. Don't try to make it more powerful! This offers risks without benefits.

Can't downloads from the FTP site be resumed with an appropriate client? I would hope so. Splitting large files into multiple small files makes more clutter in file organization, and offers no benefits (that I can think of) beyond what you can already get by stopping and resuming downloads.

vulture - 25-8-2004 at 14:01

Most common freeware FTP clients support file resume if the server supports it.

You might want to checkout smartFTP.

axehandle - 28-8-2004 at 14:38

Ofcourse I wasn't going to implement new server hardware using the plug-and-pray strategy... don't think I'll change anything at all right now since it seems to work OK as it is...

Downloads should be resumable, everywhere:
-----
AllowRetrieveRestart on
-----

nothing strange in the config.. does anyone else have problems with resuming downloads?

Organikum - 28-8-2004 at 14:59

This ftp works like a charm.
Relieable, fast - almost perfect.

thx to axehandle
by
ORG

axehandle - 29-8-2004 at 13:19

No need to thank me...

I'm MAD!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I had left 16 beers in a friend's care, and he had fucking PUT THEM IN THE FRIDGE!!!!

I hate cold beer!!!!! Now I have to put them in a warm water bath to make them drinkable... sigh...

Organikum - 29-8-2004 at 23:39

Oh! I actually wanted to express my gratitude by sending you this wonderful bottle which is perfect for ether-storage! Still filled with the original liquid though, which you may abuse or discard as you like to I thought?

Now I am told I have not to thank you! What to do? What a dilemma!

confused
ORG

axehandle - 31-8-2004 at 08:14

Oh...... you want to... send me.. booze.... *drool*..... Well, in that case, I suppose it's all right to thank me! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Access to FTP

sgoel - 1-9-2004 at 21:36

Axehandle

Could you please give me access to FTP server.

thanks

axehandle - 3-9-2004 at 05:58

Your package arrived today, Organikum. Thank you very much for the bottle and the vodka, it looks very potent!

[Edited on 2004-9-3 by axehandle]

Mephisto - 7-9-2004 at 23:30

I've found the scans of two German books about crystal-growing on my hard disk, which were send to my some time ago. It's not a very popular hobby, but I think it would be a real shame, if I delete the scans without trying to share them to somebody who is interested in this stuff. Anyway, the quality is good enough, but I won't bother to make nice ebooks of them and remove all little failures like dots, shadows etc.. The books are "Die Welt der Kristalle" and "Kristallzüchtung als Hobby".

Also upped:
Kleemann And Engels - Pharmaceutical Substances (Syntheses, Patents, Applications, 4th Edition, 2000).pdf 60,3 MB
Jahn, Gerrit - Physikalische Chemie (Skript mit Lehrbuchniveau, 316 Seiten).pdf 2,5 MB
Bronstein - Taschenbuch der Mathematik.pdf 65,2 MB
Schweda, E. - Allgemeine und Anorganische Chemie (gutes Vorlesungsskript).pdf 9,9 MB
Wirsunn, Siegfried - Elektronik-Selbstbau Praktikum.pdf 3,6 MB

Eliteforum - 20-9-2004 at 13:24

Axe, you still want me to send you the FTP DVD backup's?

axehandle - 20-9-2004 at 13:27

Yes, please. I've PM:d you my addy.

Mephisto - 21-9-2004 at 03:53

It's either in "upload/Mephisto" or in "Mephisto". I can't check check it from me present location.

Organikum - 21-9-2004 at 03:56

All of a sudden it was there... LOL
Some cache questions I guess.
merci

sarcosuchus - 21-9-2004 at 17:57

well lets see uploaded ..god 150/200 megs last night,working on 603megs tonight part 1 of mechdesk,part 2 on the way tomorrow,part 3 day after next..um just how much hard drive space do i have to fill??? dont want to crash the ftp...lets see still got errrr ..18+- gigs to go so i went thru the collection to double check to see what you might have allready. so were looking ok so far? so if no one minds i will keep it to a gig-a-week if thats ok...oh btw mechdesk is a cad-cam program thats suppost to be a hum-dinger! but im not set-up to run it ( system resources run at 8-10% on a good day) all so ive got another cad-cam program called mastercam 9 i think. if im killing the bandwith for somebody else i can limit my up loads to certain days of the week if that helps. if all else just yell @#$%#%^%^ stop already:P....ps any body want some ham radio software uploaded?

axehandle - 21-9-2004 at 18:20

You seem like a real masochist, but upload as much as you want, I'm not complaining... :)

As of this writing, there is still 39.4 GiB free space available on that filesystem, and if it fills up I'll just put some of the stuff on my 2nd RAID5 and soft link to it, so space is plenty.

Casual inspection tells me you're uploading at less than 150 KiB/s, which is only slightly more than 1/3 of the link capacity, so no problem there. If you were 3 people uploading at the same time you might notice a small performance decrease... Not a likely scenario though, the largest number of concurrent users I see in everyday use is 3, but almost always only 1, and rarely 2.

I may have overestimated things when I limited the number of concurrent users to 30 -- it will NEVER happen.

I think my little 10Mbit line can eat whatever you serve without getting constipated :).

EDIT: And the server won't crash. Seriously. It has never crashed and never will :P. Uptime only limited by power outages. Current uptime is 149 days, 13:17 hours.

[Edited on 2004-9-22 by axehandle]

sarcosuchus - 21-9-2004 at 20:06

well not to blow my own horn im runing fiber@7.6megs a sec it tells me but my 4 year old pc cant handle full power..so a good run is more like 450kbs as for being well...odd you got me i confess but seriously mechdesk is being a #$#%%$^%%%^$$$#$#!@#^%^ so i cant say when it will be uploaded in one peice it is 939megs total but not to worry 27 full cds to go for the rest of my little collection..i realy hope you guys like what your getting..i tryed to offer to another site but was treated poorly so you guys get to be my victims of kindness:D

Organikum - 22-9-2004 at 02:19

Could you kindly break down the MechDesk into pieces, at least into pieces which make it possible to burn them onto CD?

I do my downloads in I-cafes with faster connection than I have at home and they burn CDs, but they dont break me such big pieces down usually, not without a bribe at least.

MechDesk is what I always wanted
merci
ORG

JohnWW - 22-9-2004 at 02:29

For files of that size, burning to a DVD, if you have a DVD burner, is necessary, if you want to store the complete MechDesk as a single file other than on a hard drive. This is unless the 939 Mb file can be compressed by ZIP or RAR to a size that will fit on a CD. Otherwise, you would have to use WinRAR to split it into two halves.

John W.

Dodoman - 22-9-2004 at 10:04

I've figured it out. John is a group of nerds combined into one.:P

[Edited on 22-9-2004 by Dodoman]

meckdesk

sarcosuchus - 22-9-2004 at 17:32

mechdesk is in 3 folders/parts now with the idea to burn them to cd my main problem is my pc needs reformating..bad so it will be a few days before i can try again.as for dvd burner i agree. would be nice to have. there are only 4 files that size in my collection so no dvd burner yet.

o btw dont drink while you label you disks i almost uploaded 8000 playboy pics by mistake.:D

The_Davster - 22-9-2004 at 18:17

This is a stupid question, it makes my lack of computer skills evident.
What is the deal with those folders that I get an access denied? What is their purpose? What is in them?
:P

more ftp fun

sarcosuchus - 30-9-2004 at 16:30

so far so good mechdesk2,3 are uploaded and md#1 is chugging right along.ive uploaded um...30/40 more goodies in the last couple of days.its getting to be a daily habit to upload at least 50megs:P just added some nice math ebooks to the pile so im going to up them after meckdesk1 is done.so i was just wondering what you guys think of what being added so far?

Eliteforum - 5-10-2004 at 12:20

axe, Do you use SCSI drives? If so I can send you a server. It's pretty old but would be perfect for FTP use.

It's a Dell PowerEdge 2200.

Only cost to you would be postage.

THE CHEMISTRY OF PHENOLS

sarcosuchus - 9-10-2004 at 14:37

Wiley,the chemistry of phenols 2003
I've just uploaded a very useful ebook that should be in every collection.
the book is 1667 pages in length and 24.8MB in size. What follows is from the Foreward
of the ebook
"This is the first volume in The ?Chemistry of Functional Groups? series which deals with
an aromatic functional group. The combination of the hydroxyl group and the aromatic
ring modifies the properties of both groups and creates a functional group which differs
significantly in many of its properties and reactions from its two constituents. Phenols
are important industrially, in agriculture, in medicine, in chemical synthesis, in polymer
chemistry and in the study of physical organic aspects, e.g. hydrogen bonding. These and
other topics are treated in the book.
The two parts of the present volume contain 20 chapters written by experts from
11 countries. They include an extensive treatment of the theoretical aspects, chapters on
various spectroscopies of phenols such as NMR, IR and UV, on their mass spectra, on the
structural chemistry and thermochemistry, on the photochemical and radiation chemistry of
phenols and on their synthesis and synthetic uses and on reactions involving the aromatic
ring such as electrophilic substitution or rearrangements. There are also chapters dealing
with the properties of the hydroxyl group, such as hydrogen bonding or photoacidity,
and with the derived phenoxy radicals which are related to the biologically important
antioxidant behavior of phenols. There is a chapter dealing with polymers of phenol and
a specific chapter on calixarenes - a unique family of monocyclic compounds including
several phenol rings.
Three originally promised chapters on organometallic derivatives, on acidity and on
the biochemistry of phenols were not delivered. Although the chapters on toxicity and on
analytical chemistry deal with biochemistry related topics and the chapter on photoacidity
is related to the ground state acidity of phenols, we hope that the missing chapters will
appear in a future volume.
The literature coverage in the various chapters is mostly up to 2002.
I will be grateful to readers who draw my attention to any mistakes in the present
volume.
Jerusalem ZVI RAPPOPORT
February 2003"

This ebook is located in the upload folder on axehandles ftp site IMHO this book
should be right next to vogels,CRC chem&phy handbook and perrys.
ps. And yes im busy looking for the other volumes to upload so do not worry as
soon as I find them ill upload them.

ftp not accepting password

ksrao - 13-10-2004 at 02:12

Hi Axehandle,

Password is not getting accepted for my ftp user account. Kindly do the needfull.

spudmann-annm1 - 16-10-2004 at 06:29

Mr. Axehandle!

Could you please give me access to FTP server. I'm looking forward towards expanding my knowledge through use of you're, like im told, truly magnificent database.

Best Regards

vulture - 16-10-2004 at 08:36

Mr. Spudmann,

I think I can safely assume your request will be in vain...

There's no use for you reading the more advanced stuff on the FTP when you can't even grasp the basics.

Quantum - 17-10-2004 at 06:22

Well I have got a new book called Chemical Engineering Series: Chemical Proccess Industries

Its not the best book in the world but it does have some good information about chemical stuff:

Electroltic Industries(Al, Mg, Na, Chlorates ext)

Phosphorus Industries(has all sorts of stuff about getting them out of the rocks and even some stuff about organophospates)

Has some suff about florine and florochemicals,

Has some stuff about herbicides(might intrest Samosa)

What stuff should I scan?

axehandle - 21-10-2004 at 06:47

I just recovered from a 72-hour internet outage due to some problem my ISP hasn't been able to explain properly.

I'm online again though. Now I'm going to seriously kick some hineys...

axehandle - 21-10-2004 at 10:58

What do you say to a support guy wanting you to "restart" a linux firewall? I don't think I've ever said as many profanities in my entire life as I just have.

I hate incompetence! Hate hate hate!

axehandle - 27-10-2004 at 06:34

Could some moderator please delete the 3 posts betore this one?

<b>DO NOT POST FTP REQUESTS IN THIS THREAD!</b>

And, ksrao, stop pestering me!</b> Your passwork hasn't "expired", you don't have access and you won't get any since you're not contributing to the board! It won't matter how many u2u's or cross-posts you make, I WILL NOT give you access! Even if you do start to contribute to the board I may not give you access just because you nag!

Now I'll do the needful and have some coffee before I kill someone.

As U Like

ksrao - 27-10-2004 at 07:46

As u wish. you have provided me with username and password I had uploaded one book and also downloaded quite some books.....If u had forgotten it fine...But I am not lying

Thanks for the access till now!!!

:):):)

Eliteforum - 27-10-2004 at 08:01

I also get the constant u2u's and ftp requests from said user.

Can you not take a hint?

axehandle - 27-10-2004 at 08:19

Quote:
...had uploaded one book and also downloaded quite some books....

Arrrgggghhhhh!!! Uploading stuff to FTP <b>does not equal contributing to the board!!</b> I'm not trying to "trade" in information, I'm trying to provide a (free (as in beer)) service to those who I think deserve it!

Ok Guys Just Leave me here

ksrao - 27-10-2004 at 11:52

Hi Axehandle and Eliteforum,

I do not disagree that I had posted quite some U2U to get an account before couple of months back.

Now I guess U had decided not to extend or renew...fine...don't need some rationale...Leave me here....

Eliteforum - 27-10-2004 at 12:10

Just uploaded about 480mb worth of stuff to /uploads/Eliteforum/Recent

Some if it has already been uploaded. So there may be duplicate files.

Delete what you don't need, keep what you want. More to come. :)

FTP server down for up to 48 hours

axehandle - 4-11-2004 at 13:06

One of the disks in one of my RAID5 arrays died horribly yesterday. I've bought a replacement today, and took the opportunity to restructure the RAID arrays.

To make a long story short, the resizing operation will take what seems to be upto several hours counting from this post. I think I'll have the server up and running tomorrow (say, 18 hours from now) but it could be upto 48 hours depending on luck. The filesystem resizing operation could take ages, for example.

The FTP data is intact since only one disk failed, and besides I do actually keep a day-old backup on a separate disk, just in case... since I know exactly how undependable harddrives are.

I hate machines with moving parts.

Harassment

vulture - 4-11-2004 at 14:44

I will not tolerate harassment of our FTP admins anymore, because it wastes their time and impairs their ability to run the FTPs.

So don't nag, whine or whatever.

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by vulture]

FTP server is online again

axehandle - 5-11-2004 at 11:56

With an additional 80GiB for storage. Don't fill it all, ok? :)

Eliteforum - 5-11-2004 at 13:12

Axe, could I sent you SCSI drives instead of the FTP disks. (Cost of shipping isn't a problem)

If not, I shall send them Monday Afternoon.

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by Eliteforum]

SCSI

axehandle - 5-11-2004 at 14:40

Yes -- the server has 2 onboard Ultra-2 Wide LVD SCSI controllers, so I can connect SCSI drives. I already have cables with both the U2W D-sub like connector AND the old wide type, so cables are no problem as long as the drives are old. (I haven't really followed the world of SCSI the last years, so I haven't got a clue if SCSI-160 and SCSI-320 drives are backwards-compatible w.r.t. U2W, cable wise.)

Eliteforum - 8-11-2004 at 09:39

Will get in touch shortly.

Davizkn - 14-11-2004 at 08:24

i'd like an account for the ftp.
Can you send me an user and password by u2u

tanks

password for ftp

Tiago Gomes - 18-11-2004 at 06:32

hi i´ve send several u2u msgs to get an account, can everybody get it? I have several files to upload
Is it possible for me to get one?
What do i have to do?

thanks

Edit by chemoleo: Read this thread and you will know what 'you have to do'.

[Edited on 18-11-2004 by chemoleo]

Eclectic - 18-11-2004 at 10:29

It worked for me and only took 2 days. Read the threads and try to contribute something useful to the discussion.

Axehandle: What encoding should be used to view the allfiles.txt? It's a mess when viewed with US Windows XP notepad. The defauld US encoding using Opera is better, but still does not show the filetree as I expect you intended.

[Edited on 18-11-2004 by Eclectic]

Eliteforum - 2-12-2004 at 11:43

DVD01

DVD02

These are a small collection of what I have hold of at the moment. The rest of the stuff has gone forever since I got burgled. :mad:

I'll be sorting through the rest of my (messy) CD collection, if I find any more to add, I'll whip it up onto another DVD for axehandle.

FrankRizzo - 11-12-2004 at 20:43

Are we down for maintenance again? I'm getting timeouts when trying to connect.

neutrino - 12-12-2004 at 06:24

I'm using SmartFTP and getting the following message:

-Connection timeout. No response from server.

Ref: Failing FTP

solo - 12-12-2004 at 08:06

I have Fetch but lately it's not fetching anythig but time out's at axhandle's site.......solo

chemoleo - 12-12-2004 at 12:08

Hmm, that is indeed not so good.
Axehandle hasn't been active for nearly two weeks, that is he hasn't been on this site since (1-12-2004 at 19:17 last).
On that note, his homepage is also down, not just the FTP.
I hope it's just becuase he is on holidays or something - he's sometimes off on trips where he doesn't have internet.

[Edited on 12-12-2004 by chemoleo]

axehandle - 12-12-2004 at 13:39

Ah. No. And yes. I was away for a week, without internet access. The site was never down though -- the script that updates the species8472.dyndns.org DNS record had got stuck somehow, making the DNS point to an old, wrong, IP. Restarting the script seems to have solved the problem.

EDIT: In my defense I must mention that I've had that script running for years without it freaking out on me before...

[Edited on 2004-12-12 by axehandle]

JohnWW - 12-12-2004 at 15:52

The cold Swedish winter probably got to his hard drives and froze them.

Handbook of Preprative Inorganic Chemistry

Eclectic - 29-12-2004 at 14:44

Megalomania did a scan of this which is on FTP#2, but it is not very readable. Does anyone have or have plans to scan an OCR'ed Djvu version?

inorganic chemistry

sarcosuchus - 29-12-2004 at 21:11

If I remember there are two vols. To the set,one is in djvu and the second is in pdf.(or is that the other way around?)you might try using a p2p search(emule/ed2k/emule+) to find what you need. there are 1000`s of books out there just waiting for a good home :P

Eclectic - 30-12-2004 at 11:55

One zipped pdf and one pdf. That's the poor quality version that's on FTP#2. I shared the remaining 60% to the 100 or so people on emule that needed it last month. It's much appreciated, but a higher quality OCR'ed scan of the two volume set would be nice, as it is a primary reference work, has been out of print since the '60's, and seems to be unavailable on the used book market.

[Edited on 30-12-2004 by Eclectic]

[Edited on 30-12-2004 by Eclectic]

Ref: hive excrements zip file problems

solo - 2-1-2005 at 20:01

I've been trying to open the zip file , hive excrements but it seems to be corrupt, has anyone had any problems with it. I run under Mac OS X and have not had any problem with other zip files . Whoever uploaded the file can you check if the file is clean and re -upload it and remove the faulty one....thank you, solo

I downloaded it again today and it won't expand .....

[Edited on 3-1-2005 by solo]

Login Failure

The_Gender_Changer - 18-1-2005 at 07:01

Missing sciencemadness FTP !
I don`t have inform. to login.

:mad:

Eliteforum - 18-1-2005 at 08:17

That's 'coz you need an account to login.. :o

Eliteforum - 21-1-2005 at 14:37

Has "Perry's Chemical Engineer's Handbook.ISO" been uploaded? If not I'll upload it.

Perry's

sparkgap - 22-1-2005 at 01:10

I have a copy of Perry's Chemical Engineer's Handbook in PDF format. Please tell me if you're interested, and I might upload it. I got it from http://www.knovel.com

(edit: it's the 7th edition I have here.)

sparky

[Edited on 22-1-2005 by sparkgap]

JohnWW - 22-1-2005 at 01:13

By all means, do so, if it is the latest edition.

Eliteforum - 25-1-2005 at 16:43

I've downloaded a few TV episodes from TV about the real CSI. It's not bad viewing, but mainly crap made for telly.

Might be educational to some, but it only goes over stuff you'd probably already know about anyways.

Total of 6 files, which comes to a total of 1.35gb. Shall I upload it?

Joeychemist - 27-1-2005 at 21:38

Is there something wrong with the ftp?For some reason or another I cannot get on. I keep getting a message saying server conection has been reset. Am I just burnt or are others having a problem too?:(

The_Davster - 28-1-2005 at 00:21

I was having that difficulty when trying to log on using ftp://(IP), but when I tried ftp://species8472.dyndns.org it worked fine.

Joeychemist - 28-1-2005 at 00:48

I don't know what's going on.It must be on my end, all though I can't seem to find the server when trying to connect to Axehandles homepage either.:(

The_Davster - 28-1-2005 at 10:28

Actually, I am also now having this problem now too.:(

[Edited on 28-1-2005 by rogue chemist]

axehandle - 29-1-2005 at 04:25

The city has accidentally severed the backbone fiber while digging for repairing the sewers.... (yes, I know, I think they're cretins too)

The ISP said it would be fixed yesterday, which I take to mean some time next Friday, sigh.

Took me several hours to hotwire an old DSL modem so I at least have surfing access.

The FTP will be up again when the dug-off cable is repaired. As to when that'll be, your guess is as good as mine.

Sorry for the inconveniance, but it's really not my fault. :(

[Edited on 2005-1-29 by axehandle]

Organikum - 29-1-2005 at 11:27

I have ADSL again after two years of dialup and I-Cafe and immediately the ftp is down?

I smell conspiracy!

A preemtive strike against vulture will be the means of choice I guess.....

Torrenting the data.

enima - 29-1-2005 at 12:07

I know a lot of people including myself do not have an ftp account, What do you guys think about forming torrent bundles (about 1gb) of composed of chemistry books etc...etc.. and hosting it so the rest of the sci-madness community can access it?

axehandle - 30-1-2005 at 02:44

The 10Mbit line seems to be back up. It looks like it's working, so I've enabled the FTP server. I hope it's not temporary..

Organikum - 30-1-2005 at 04:52

YES!
works perfect again, thanks!

/ORG

We have to come up with a directory structure.

axehandle - 30-1-2005 at 15:29

I'm relieved that it seems to work again.

I think it's long over time to sort the stuff on the FTP into a logical directory structure based on the file's topic, type, etc.

Now about what I'm going to suggest you're all going to be saying "but that's easy, why doesn't he do that himself???". Consider the classification of books in a library. Now add to that that far from everything on the FTP are books, there are also scanned paper articles, as well as software etcetera.

So I'm starting a new thread here in Forum Matters in which I hope lots of you will tell me how <b>you</b> would organize the structure. There probably won't be a single winner, but hopefully all the suggestions can be distilled (pun intended) into a working, workable system.

Here: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3304&a...
is where the suggestions should go.

The_Davster - 13-2-2005 at 14:33

I got a book on nitration entitled "Nitration, recent laboratory and Industrial developments" Hopefully I will evetually scan the entire thing and up it as a pdf, but for now what chapters is everyone interested in?
1. Nitration: An overview of recent developments and processes
2. Role of protosolvation in nitrations with superacidic systems: The protonitronium Dacation(NO2H(2+)) identified
3. Nitrocyclohexadienones in aromatic nitration.
4. Aromatic nitations in liquid nitrogen tetroxide promoted by metal Acetylacetonates
5. Synthesis of 2,5,7,9-tetranitro-2,5,7,9-tetraazabicyclo[4.3.0]nonane.
6. Photochemical chlorocarbonylation: simple synthesis of polynitroadamantanesand polynitrocubanes
7. Isolation of electrochemically dinitrogen pentoxide is pure form and its use in aromatic nitrations.
8. Pilot-plant-scale continous manufacturing of solid dinitrogen pentoxide.
9. Separation of Dinitrogen pentoxide from its solutions in nitric acid
10. Nitrated hydroxy-terminated polybutadiene: synthesis and properties
11. Novel synthesis of energetic materials using dinitrogen pentoxide
12. A new route to nitraines in non-acidic media
13. Reinvestigation of the Ponzio Reaction for the preparation of gem-Dinitro copounds
14. New nitration and nitrolysis procedures for the synthesis of energetic materials
15. Flow reactor nitrations using dinitrogen pentoxide
16. Modeling to gain insight into the thermal decomposition of dinitrotoluene.
17. Removal and destruction of tetranitromethane from nitric acid
18. Modelling nitronium ion concentrations in HNO3-H2SO4-H2O mixtures
19. Comercial dinitrotoluene production processes
20. Recent advances in the technology of mononitrobenzene manufacture
21. Industrial nitration of toluene to dinitrotoluene: requirements of a modern facility for the production of dinitrotoluene
22. Practical considerations in concentration and recovery of nitration spent acids.

EDIT: I created a pdf out of ch14 but I do not seem to have the permision to upload it to the ftp in my folder.

[Edited on 14-2-2005 by rogue chemist]

Ref: Problem uploading

solo - 14-2-2005 at 09:34

I too had a problem uploading a couple of books, I just assumed the ftp starage space is full.

Can someone post something to the cause of this....solo

chemoleo - 14-2-2005 at 10:00

'My folder'?
There is a folder called 'Uploads', that is the only folder you have read AND write-rights to. Try it there. You can ask Axehandle to then move it to 'your' folder.

The_Davster - 14-2-2005 at 15:39

By 'My folder' I had simply meant the folder entitled 'rogue chemist' that I had uploaded to before. No biggie, it does not really matter since Axehandle will be organizing everything to a common format at some point.

edit: I had probally only uploaded to that folder when it was still in the uploads section. What a novel thought...uploading to the uploads folder :P

[Edited on 14-2-2005 by rogue chemist]

S.C. Wack - 17-2-2005 at 01:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclectic
Megalomania did a scan of this which is on FTP#2, but it is not very readable. Does anyone have or have plans to scan an OCR'ed Djvu version?

It has been done but the FTP is offline "no response from server". I tried to upload a couple weeks ago and got 550 PERMISSION DENIED or some such. The OCR'd djvu is 14.8 MB, but the un-OCR'd pdf is 10.4, and the .rar of this is 8.56 - so the rar is what I've uploaded to RapidShare. How well this place works out, we'll see. Props to Mephisto who mentioned that site, and provided the pdf compressor that allowed these 1906 pages scanned in 300 dpi to be so reduced in file size.

This seems like a good time to explain some other things - not that I think that anyone cares, but because I can:
- I often upload both OCR'd djvu and non-OCR pdf of the same book to axehandle because I like the look of pdf and the pages can be kept in the same order as in the book. He hasn't said anything about my duplicating habit, yet. I like djvu because of the small size of OCR'd files, sadly they do not have a page renaming function. If I want page 1 of the file to be page 1 of the djvu, the front of the book has to be at the end. PDF run through Finereader and then compressed is much larger than djvu - this with pdf from bmp compared to djvu from tiff. But my computer education ended at BASIC spreadsheets and such.

- I decided to scan Brauer last June, and bought my first scanner shortly after. But faculty gets to check out books pretty much forever, so I didn't get either copy before someone else scanned them for roguesci.

- Regarding Vogel's TOPOC 5th ed - When I was PM'd after I mentioned it in a post here, I much too casually replied that it would get uploaded to the Hive in a week, even though I knew that there was at least an even chance that this wouldn't happen. That was before Rhodium was PM'd about it, a couple weeks before the Hive went down. I knew before I scanned it that there were several obvious reasons why it might not bee wanted there. And I seem to recall a post saying so in reply to someone else asking whether it should be scanned, though I could not find it when I decided to scan it myself. So there is a good reason why it never appeared there while it could, and it will not bee uploaded there if the Hive ever comes back. Rhodium didn't want it uploaded in a post as many other books appeared, neither the 14.4 MB ocr'd djvu in pieces nor the <10 MB non-ocr.

Everything else that I have scanned completely has already been uploaded. Might as well also try to make these available through RapidShare for those without FTP access. So if you're not learning chemistry, its your fault. Some of these were chosen because they are good introductory texts, IMHO. Few of these are available online anywhere else, AFAIK. The rar's contain pdf, because the rar was smaller than the djvu. There are of course traffic restrictions, see their FAQ.

Both volumes, single pdf (8980662 Bytes)

Vogel's Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis 5th ed (5833373 Bytes)

Vogel's Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry 5th ed (12801802 Bytes)
[url=http://rapidshare.de/files-en/625319/vogel_qualitative_inorganic_analysis_5thed1979.rar.html]
Vogel's Textbook of Macro and Semimicro Qualitative Inorganic Analysis 5th ed (4021488 Bytes)[/url]
[url=http://rapidshare.de/files-en/625393/Techniques_of_Glass_Manipulation...__Heldman_1946.djvu.html]
Techniques of Glass Manipulation (10971775 Bytes)[/url]

Systematic Organic Chemistry (6488657 Bytes)
[url=http://rapidshare.de/files-en/625416/Selections_From_Inorg_Syn_v1-5.djvu.html]
84 selected articles from the first 5 volumes of Inorganic Syntheses (4649213 Bytes)[/url]

Reductions in Organic Chemistry (3488320 Bytes)
[url=http://rapidshare.de/files-en/625455/Oxidations_in_Organic_Chemistry_Hudlicky.djvu.html]
Oxidations in Organic Chemistry (5444783 Bytes)[/url]

Reductions by the Alumino- and Borohydrides in Organic Synthesis (6757731 Bytes)
[url=http://rapidshare.de/files-en/625486/Preparation_of_Organic_Intermediates_Shirley.djvu.html]
Preparation of Organic Intermediates (3265229 Bytes)[/url]

Practical Inorganic Chemistry (3062010 Bytes)

A Comprehensive Treatise on Inorganic and Theoretical Chemistry, vol 2 (12092337 Bytes)

A Comprehensive Treatise on Inorganic and Theoretical Chemistry, vol 8 (25547262 Bytes)

Inorganic Preparations (1682480 Bytes)

Inorganic Preparations (1428972 Bytes)
[url=http://rapidshare.de/files-en/625515/inorganic_laboratory_preparations_schlessinger_1962.djvu.html]
Inorganic Laboratory Preparations (5109408 Bytes)[/url]

Glassblowing for Laboratory Technicians (2369157 Bytes)

ASTM Standards

gtacchi - 17-2-2005 at 18:46

Guys, have any problem to upload ASTM Stantards in the FTP?

GTACCHI:cool:

JohnWW - 18-2-2005 at 17:48

I would certainly like to see a complete up-to-date set of ASTM standards, in electronic format. I have only a somewhat incomplete set of printed volumes of ASTM standards, for testing and analysis of various substances, from the late 1970s and early 1980s.

zbde00 - 19-2-2005 at 00:37

I have only some polymer books.
If someone have interest in them and Axe give me access to the ftp server,I will upload them.

Frontiers in Polymer Chemistry 610page

The Theory of Polymer Dynamics

Polymer characterization - Laboratory techniques and analysis.by konyblack

Advance in Polymerscience

Paul C. Hiemenz's Polymer Chemistry:The Basic Concepts(722page)

Problems????

Joeychemist - 19-2-2005 at 02:32

Problems with the ftp?:(

Is anyone else having the same problem?
I just tried to connect to the ftp and I get that ever annoying message that reads;

Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you have typed the name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.

Details;
the connection with the server was reset.

Is the problem me? If not when will the problem be fixed? I have a few new books to add that are just dying to get on the ftp:D:D

sparkgap - 19-2-2005 at 03:51

Can't access it either. I wait for a while and, bam, operation timed out.

And I was about to upload my copy of Lange's.

sparky (^_^)

Organikum - 19-2-2005 at 13:04

axehandle seems to be offline completely. Lets hope he soon comes back.

gtacchi - 19-2-2005 at 16:13

Since wednesday he is vanish...:o:o:o

Quote:
Originally posted by Organikum
axehandle seems to be offline completely. Lets hope he soon comes back.

axehandle - 23-2-2005 at 07:27

Well, I'm off on vacation, and there seems to have been a power outage. Either that or a hardware failure.

Unfortunately I can't push the power button from here.

Back in about 10 days.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Organikum - 24-2-2005 at 04:40

I am glad to hear that everythings ok with YOU axehandle.
The swedish have to much holidays though....
:D

zbde00 - 24-2-2005 at 06:53

>10 days?
It seems Sweden is really a socialism country

The_Davster - 5-3-2005 at 21:20

Well Axehandle does not seem to be back yet however the FTP is back up.

sparkgap - 6-3-2005 at 08:56

It is back up; unfortunately, I am unable to upload to the "upload" folder... :(

Where is axehandle?????

sparky (>_<;)

P.S. Oh and yes, I have an e-book version of Abramowitz and Stegun (it's a math handbook, for the uninitiated) minus the tables. If anyone's interested, I'll upload it along with the Lange's and Perry's that I promised to upload. :D

Please come back, axehandle... pretty please, with strawberries, sherry and whipped cream on top?

P.P.S Browsing the FTP again, I found that someone had uploaded a copy of both the Lange's and Perry's handbooks earlier (it's in the "Books" folder). Sorry for the trouble.

[Edited on 6-3-2005 by sparkgap]

Organikum - 22-3-2005 at 22:59

The Merck Index 13th edition.iso is uploaded.

/ORG

[Edited on 23-3-2005 by Organikum]

Mephisto - 23-3-2005 at 02:25

Since this power outage I can download files but not upload anything anymore.

axehandle disapearence

gtacchi - 23-3-2005 at 11:15

I went ou a while and until now nothing abou axehandle?

I'm waiting my username and password. Anybody besides axehandle give permission to the ftp adress?

gtacchi

CherrieBaby - 2-4-2005 at 23:48

I have the same problem. No access. My PM to axehandle has been ignored for 4 weeks since I wrote it.

vulture - 3-4-2005 at 02:17

Axehandle can and will ignore you if he likes to and I believe he's on a break atm.

So please don't harrass the poor chap.

gtacchi - 3-4-2005 at 06:30

I know that axehandle, don't have any compromise to put anyone in the FTP list. But I sent a message a more than a month, and no reply until today.

Because of that I am asking if has anyone besides axehandle can give the user and the password to the FTP server?

I have many books to share and i'll like to see others to complete some collections.

Gtacchi

gtacchi - 3-4-2005 at 06:33

Sorry!!!!

:D:D:D

The best word is obligation and not compromise like i put in the last post.

a_bab - 3-4-2005 at 14:04

gtacchi, could you please post a list with the books you have? That might speed up the things a little bit for you.

Varathron - 3-4-2005 at 15:03

I have alot of books to share too.Not just chemistry books....Maths,physics,compsci,biology,etc .If anybody is looking for something let me know.
 Pages:  1  2