Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Sciencemadness Down?

Hexavalent - 7-6-2012 at 09:46

From early in the morning today until a few hours ago SM seemed to be down . . . I could reach the main page that has links to the forums, Member Pubs, Los Alamos Reports etc. but when I clicked on the link to go to the forums it wouldn't have it . . .something like 'The Webpage could not be displayed'.

I am using the latest version of Firefox, but had the same issue when I tried it with IE9. Anyone know what's going on here?

bahamuth - 7-6-2012 at 09:56

I had the same problem, though it happens once in a while to me (two times a month or so).

Hexavalent - 7-6-2012 at 10:08

How peculiar.

Any idea what it might be? I've had the forum go down only once or twice before in my six month history here....

Vargouille - 7-6-2012 at 10:13

When I tried on Google Chrome it recommended that if I was the admin, that I run the DEBUG file.

99chemicals - 7-6-2012 at 10:36

Same with me. I got to a page saying there was an internal server error or it was up for maintainace.

solo - 7-6-2012 at 10:59

....all morning all i got was this,,

The system has failed to process your request. If you're an administrator, please set the DEBUG flag to true in config.php.

Fossil - 7-6-2012 at 13:11

Same thing on my end, wasn't able to access all morning and afternoon.

Hexavalent - 7-6-2012 at 13:40

That's the exact message I got on IE9 and Firefox (the latest version) . . .any idea why this happened and if its likely to happen again?

Polverone - 8-6-2012 at 13:01

It happened again. The cause is the whos_online table crashing in the database and needing manual repair. Normally it is months between incidents; I'm not sure why it happened again so quickly. I suspect it is related to the fool from Slovakia who is trying to download the whole forum with wget. I have temporarily blocked him through .htaccess. If you want to get a copy of the forum, use the official method.

Hexavalent - 8-6-2012 at 13:16

I see, thanks for that Polverone.

Being without Sciencemadness is like trying to do volumetric work without any volumetric glassware:)

dann2 - 8-6-2012 at 13:29

I just got a "Cannot find page" page.
Thats two days in a row.
If it happens tomorrow I am going to look for me money back...............

Eliteforum - 8-6-2012 at 23:51

Had the debug error yesterday, it's fine now.

99chemicals - 9-6-2012 at 10:33

I just got this page after waiting for about 3 minutes for it to load.

scimad down.PNG - 79kB

I refreshed and the normal page came up. Weird.