Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Refrigerator compressors that cease up

vmelkon - 7-6-2012 at 13:07

What's the deal with refrigerator compressors? They seem to cease up quickly.

I got them for free since people throw away their refrigerator sometimes. As long as you use them once or twice a week, they are fine. However, once you leave them sitting for 2 weeks, they cease up. Are they designed to run in the oil and CFC (RFC?)?
This is the 3rd one that bit the dust.

[Edited on 7-6-2012 by vmelkon]

hissingnoise - 7-6-2012 at 14:31

They shouldn't seize up if none of the cooling oil is removed!

vmelkon - 8-6-2012 at 17:32

That's obvious but while operating the compressor, it shoots out some of the oil but I assume that some of it still stays in it.
Is there any way to open it and fix it?

BromicAcid - 8-6-2012 at 17:42

Sigh....

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14435

Fossil - 9-6-2012 at 04:26

None of peach's videos seem to work for me, they all say that they were removed by the user. Is anyone else getting this?

vmelkon - 9-6-2012 at 06:01

Thanks for the link, BromicAcid, but unfortunately, the videos have been deleted by the user = peach. I'm not even sure how to check his channel since Youtube is not showing his name.

I'm not really a fan of massive threads like that. 7 pages!
Page 6 has some interesting videos.

Eliteforum - 9-6-2012 at 07:17

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  
I'm not really a fan of massive threads like that. 7 pages! Page 6 has some interesting videos.

Then stop expecting to be spoonfed.

watson.fawkes - 9-6-2012 at 08:11

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  
while operating the compressor, it shoots out some of the oil but I assume that some of it still stays in it.
Why would you assume that?

If it's spitting lubricating oil, it will eventually run out. The easiest solution is a riser on the exhaust so that the spatter will hit the wall of the riser and flow back down. Screw on a sintered metal filter to the top of the riser to capture any airborne aerosol.

RonPaul2012 - 10-6-2012 at 16:41

My pump seized up once or twice and I just banged it against the concrete and it started up again.

It may have something to do with water damage.

I'm not sure though.