Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What practical experiments can I do with Calcium Oxide

CHRIS25 - 15-6-2012 at 11:06

Could anybody lend me some pointers as to what practical reactions I could do with Calcium Oxide please?

Just looking for perhaps experiments that have some interesting and informative purposes (which I suppose thinking about it all experiments have that).

mineralman - 15-6-2012 at 11:15

make calcium carbonate useing carbon dioxide
make calcium hydroxide
the usual suspects. try googling it

weiming1998 - 17-6-2012 at 02:08

CaO is a very useful and strong dehydrating agent. Good for organic reactions that you don't want to get contaminated with water/absorbing water in an reaction to shift a particular equilibrium forward. An example would be using it to obtain solid pure Na ethoxide via the reaction of NaOH with ethanol, which is in an equilibrium. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_ethoxide). Wikipedia states that the reaction proceeds as: NaOH+C2H5OH<===>NaC2H5O+H2O. Without an dehydrating agent, a mix of NaOH and ethoxide exists, but the dehydrating agents consumes as product, the water, and shifts the equilibrium to the right.

Another one would be the on-site generation of Ca(OH)2, which can dissolve in acids to give Ca2+ ions, which might be useful for certain things. A small amount of Ca(OH)2 could also dissolve in solution and act as a test for CO2. Another would be the reaction of it with carbon at high temperatures to create CaC2, which reacts with water to form acetylene, a reactive species of hydrocarbon.

mineralman - 17-6-2012 at 02:51

ALSO, LOOK IN THE SITES LIBRARY, theres some good stuff in there, theres one with calcium oxide+soil in a contiunous nitric acid electro process IIRC MM

CHRIS25 - 17-6-2012 at 10:41

Thankyou. That last one about calcium ions was useful to know, thanks all.

CHRIS25 - 17-6-2012 at 13:20

Quote: Originally posted by mineralman  
ALSO, LOOK IN THE SITES LIBRARY, theres some good stuff in there, theres one with calcium oxide+soil in a contiunous nitric acid electro process IIRC MM

Hi, did a search for calcium oxide in the search box here but only got about 10 hits, most of them dealing with calcium hydroxide. Does the site have a reference library then that I do not have access to. I notice that I can not access the references on this site. Is there special status required for this?