Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Mystery Metal: ~21.25g/cm3

Erbium_Iodine_Carbon - 21-6-2012 at 16:36

Hello all,

Tonight I was looking in my basement for some metal pieces for use as milling media in a ball mill I'm constructing. The guy who built our house was a collector of odd things plus he worked at the nearby nuclear research lab so there are some strange things down there.

With that said, I came upon this very dense rod about 1cm in diameter and 10.65cm in length. Using a caliper the volume was determined to be 8.70cm3 and the mass found to be around 185g by my digital kitchen scale (my 0.01g scale only goes up to 100g) The rod is shiny with a slight golden tint.

Although the weight isn't accurate there are only a few elements in that density range, and the accuracy of the method was proven which I will explain later.

I've tried immersing the rod in 3% hydrogen peroxide but no decomposition was observed. I figure this would rule out platinum (however nice that would be).

Anyways, after showing this to my parents they mentioned something about a labelled tungsten rod that also came with the house so I had to investigate that as well. It turns out the thing is huge, weighing just over 2kg! The color was very different of my other sample so that narrows down the possibilities even more.

Using the same measurement method the density of the tungsten was found to be 19.13g/cm3 which is very close to the theoretical density of 19.3.

I'll attach pics of the 2 metals; apparently the tungsten was labelled and taped to a wooden rod at some point but the label has disappeared.

Basically my question is: what tests can I use to determine the unknown metal's composition?

Picture0156.JPG - 46kB Picture0155.JPG - 47kB

Lambda-Eyde - 21-6-2012 at 18:10

If that's rhenium (d=21,02), I'll have to kill you and steal it. Nothing personal, of course. :P Unless your technique or calculations are wrong, it has to be either that or maybe Os or Ir. All of them are of course hideously expensive.

Rogeryermaw - 21-6-2012 at 18:30

is it possibly an alloy?

Erbium_Iodine_Carbon - 21-6-2012 at 18:48

I have a chemistry exam tomorrow so I'll bring it in and afterwards weigh it accurately. It could very well be an alloy but probably of those platinum group mentioned by Lambda-Eyde. If it were Pt-Ir would that account for it not decomposing the peroxide?

m1tanker78 - 21-6-2012 at 18:55

Assuming the rod is solid (not tubular)... If you tap it against a hard object, does it thunk, ping, ting, ring, spring??? H2O2 alone isn't a good test; an acidic solution would give you a better idea if it dissolves/discolors or tints the solution a certain color.

I love a good whodunnit or a whatsit in this case. :D

Tank

johansen - 21-6-2012 at 23:28

it is probably genuine 95% + tungsten.

i had the opportunity to buy a 100 pound block of 99% tungsten and i passed it up :(

hang onto it, it is hard to find pure tungsten these days

Erbium_Iodine_Carbon - 22-6-2012 at 03:53

The thing is the other rod I have (the larger one) I know is tungsten and the smaller one looks nothing like it. Also the density is considerably higher than that of tungsten.
I do feel very lucky to just find 2kg of tungsten though!

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 04:23

Take it to a jeweler shop: many are equipped with portable XRF today.

phlogiston - 22-6-2012 at 04:24

What a find! It may turn to have been a very affordable house :)

Apparently, tungsten dissolves in hydrogen peroxide at an appreciable rate:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac60176a021

Perhaps the reaction with only 3% H2O2 would be not so fast as to dissolve much, but you might see at least see something happening.

Although it is a fun project to try to identify the metal, it is probably worth getting a XRF analysis on it. Perhaps you can get someone to do a quick measurement for you at a local metal scrapyard.

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 05:32

Quote: Originally posted by Erbium_Iodine_Carbon  
I have a chemistry exam tomorrow so I'll bring it in and afterwards weigh it accurately. It could very well be an alloy but probably of those platinum group mentioned by Lambda-Eyde. If it were Pt-Ir would that account for it not decomposing the peroxide?

Dream on...

ScienceSquirrel - 22-6-2012 at 05:38

Given the very high density I suspect it is something like rhenium.

Eddygp - 22-6-2012 at 06:35

Yes, the rhenium-osmium-iridium are the (apparently) possible ones. However, it is quite strange to find 900$ worth of rhenium in your basement...

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 06:43

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  
Given the very high density I suspect it is something like rhenium.

Let him first determine density again. Then we'll talk... ;) My money's still on W.

ScienceSquirrel - 22-6-2012 at 07:06

Fair enough, but I think his method of measuring the density is pretty good and it is quite a bit too dense for tungsten, also it does not look like tungsten.
The guy could have been a bit of a squirrel and just 'collected' it from the lab where he worked.
Not many houses come with a 2kg tungsten rod, so why not a rhenium rod as well?
If you want a small amount of pure tungsten it is used for fishing weights;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACE-Tungsten-Beads-SML-0-37g-3-5mm...

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 07:23

Thanks for the W tip. I've been religiously hording kaput incandescent bulbs for years. Must have about 100 g of W by now. Must crack them open some day...

Erbium_Iodine_Carbon - 22-6-2012 at 07:25

Alright I've accurately weighed it and the density is just over 21.3g/cm3. That pretty well narrows it down to Ir, Os, or Pt since those are the only elements with density greater than 21.0g/cm3. I don't think it's osmium (unless it's plated with something else) because of its color. Again in my measurement I used a scale accurate to 0.01g and a caliper accurate to 0.01cm, so I don't see much room for error there.

ScienceSquirrel - 22-6-2012 at 07:42

I think the likeliest candidate must be platinum, it is the closest at 21.45.

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 07:43

You'll have to chemically test it. Apparently Re can be dissolved in nitric acid:

http://www.espimetals.com/tech/rhenium.pdf

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 07:46

C'mon Squirrel: how desperate would one have to be to design a part in solid Pt??? And how would such a part manage to 'escape' from a factory??? No one just finds huge lump of Pt in their basement, that's as sure as death and taxes, as far as I'm concerned... :o

[Edited on 22-6-2012 by blogfast25]

plante1999 - 22-6-2012 at 07:51

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

C'mon Squirrel: how desperate would one have to be to design a part in solid Pt??? And how would such a part manage to 'escape' from a factory??? No one just finds huge lump of Pt in their basement, that's as sure as death and taxes, as far as I'm concerned... :o

Good point, though I would recommend to dissolve a part of the metal In aqua regia, and add ammonium chloride to test for platinum I have other test For PGM if you want.

[Edited on 22-6-2012 by plante1999]

BromicAcid - 22-6-2012 at 07:55

Electrical resistivity of elements varies by purity/shape. If you have an ohm meter available it would be a quick and easy test to try and eliminate some contestants or possibly give you more fodder to prove your point. I warn you however that there is some math involved since the resistivity varies on shape as well.

phlogiston - 22-6-2012 at 07:56

Parts are made out of platinum all the time. Crucibles, filters, etc.
And some people find chunks of radium salts in their basement. Incidentally, ErIC, you should be carefull too, especially because you mention the guy worked in a nuclear research lab and apparently also forgot about the fortune he left in the basement when he sold the house. Did the former owner die or suffer from dementia or something?

The 'escape' part is suspicious though.

bquirky - 22-6-2012 at 08:10

perhaps 'liberated' would fit better :)

thelonious - 22-6-2012 at 08:11

If you have any aqua regia available, you could try dissolving part of the sample in it, to determine whether or not it's platinum.
That being said, I would try less destructive measures of identification first :D

ScienceSquirrel - 22-6-2012 at 08:20

It would have been worth a lot less historically when demand for platinum was low. What else can it be?
If the density is correct then things like tungsten etc are ruled out.
I only half believe it myself but facts are facts.

ScienceSquirrel - 22-6-2012 at 08:24

One thing is for sure, it is not tungsten.

Looking at this graph you can see that it would have been valuable in the 1960's and 70's but worth nothing like what it would be worth today;

http://www.admc.hct.ac.ae/hd1/english/graphs/line_platinum.h...

[Edited on 22-6-2012 by ScienceSquirrel]

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 08:35

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
Parts are made out of platinum all the time. Crucibles, filters, etc.

Actually, lab wares made of Pt are very rare. And Pt crucibles are usually minimised pieces of Pt foil.

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 08:40

It would have been worth a lot less historically when demand for platinum was low. What else can it be?

An Osmium alloy?

Which cylindrical part (an axel?) would require the chemical resistance of Pt/Ir? And how could such a part go 'walkies', left in the basement by a 'forgetful' previous owner, even at today's prices????

I just hope someone's not playing an elaborate prank here! ;) ;)

phlogiston - 22-6-2012 at 08:42

Admittely, I have a biased view, working in a laboratory where platinum items are occasionally used, but platinum items do exist and have to be manufactured from sheet/foil and bar stock somewhere.

ScienceSquirrel - 22-6-2012 at 08:51

An Osmium alloy?

Which cylindrical part (an axel?) would require the chemical resistance of Pt/Ir? And how could such a part go 'walkies', left in the basement by a 'forgetful' previous owner, even at today's prices????

I just hope someone's not playing an elaborate prank here! ;) ;)

Oops, I have not edited your post, I meant to quote it and clicked the edit button instead.

It could be a hoax but the pictures, calculated densities, etc seem very real.
Maybe he could sit it on a balance with a ruler close to it to give scale and photograph the whole she bang, that would leave no shadow of doubt as to if he is telling the truth.

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 09:12

Squirrel:

It could be true of course, even the Pt bit. Weird stuff happens.

If it really is so valuable the previous owner would have been a thief: no way would such a part change hands w/o a crime being committed. That then brings up the question, why didn't he cash in on the loot? Why leave it in the basement of a house for the next owners to find? All truly bizarre, if you ask me.

Erbium_Iodine_Carbon - 22-6-2012 at 10:17

The guy who previously owned the house was actually building it himself and was almost finished when he died. The house is modelled after some English estate, obviously scaled down though. When he died his daughters who lived elsewhere sold the house for cheap and my parents were lucky to buy it 20 years ago. They always joke about finding "the diamonds" hidden in here because of the man's eccentricity. I live in a small town close to a government funded nuclear research plant that started in the 50's. I have no idea how or why such a piece might have escaped but if it is platinum I won't be complaining!
Edit: @plante1999:
Can you explain further the test involving ammonium chloride and aqua regia? I might try that.
I'll get a picture up as soon as I can though; the other 2 were taken with my webcam which is obviously not great quality.

[Edited on 22-6-2012 by Erbium_Iodine_Carbon]

Eddygp - 22-6-2012 at 10:25

This is a bit... uhh, strange. However, if it's platinum, osmium, rhenium or iridium (luck?) that is worth MORE than its weight in gold O.O

plante1999 - 22-6-2012 at 10:56

If this is platinum, later you will want to kill me but.... Cut a small piece of your rod. Then make poor man aqua regia using, in lets say 40ml 20% HCl and 10g ammonium nitrate (Not stochiometric amount, but work very well) heat the solution to 50 degree C and add your piece, after few thent of minute it will be disolved. filter id and ad an ammonium chloride solution, If there is even a small amount of platinum a yellow precipitate will form. (NH4)2PtCL6

If you want I can give you all the other test to detect a PGM. Rhodium/iridium/rhenium/ruthenium etc....But keep use only 1/10 of your sol. each time. If you want other test send my a U2U and I will be pleased to explain you other test.

Maybe it is a sort of uranium/thorium rod with some cladding of top?

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 11:32

plante: U and Th aren't dense enough...

phlogiston - 22-6-2012 at 11:51

You know you are a mad scientist when... you find yourself thinking of all the great experiments you could do with such a piece of metal (rather than the money it would trade for).

It is also a great stroke of luck that you found it, rather than someone who would simply discard a pile of what might look like junk.

blogfast25 - 22-6-2012 at 11:58

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  

It is also a great stroke of luck that you found it, rather than someone who would simply discard a pile of what might look like junk.

Or hand it over to a scrap metal merchant who would think he'd died and gone to heaven!

Wizzard - 22-6-2012 at 12:25

I think all those valuable metals (also W, but excluding platinum) should be able to be chipped with a rap on the cut corner from a hammer.

AndersHoveland - 23-6-2012 at 00:44

The hue of the metal does not look like platinum or tungsten. It does look similar to rhenium.
Here is picture of a rod of the element rhenium for comparison:
http://www.espimetals.com/images/rhenium_rod250_0182_wm_400....

Rhenium has been used in nuclear reactors as a barrier between the uranium fuel pellets and the niobium alloy cladding. Rhenium has the second highest melting point of the elements, and is twice as strong as tungsten.

Alright I've accurately weighed it and the density is just over 21.3g/cm3.

Here is a list of the elements that are denser than lead (not including the highly radioactive ones). Values are in grams per cubic cm.

Lead 11.342
Thorium 11.72
Thallium 11.85
Palladium 12.020
Ruthenium 12.37
Rhodium 12.41
Hafnium 13.31
Mercury 13.5336
Protactinium 15.37
Tantalum 16.654
Uranium 18.95 (radioactive)
Tungsten 19.25
Gold 19.282
Plutonium 19.84 (radioactive)
Rhenium 21.02
Platinum 21.46
Osmium 22.610
Iridium 22.650

[Edited on 23-6-2012 by AndersHoveland]

Eddygp - 23-6-2012 at 03:38

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/rheniumpricesusdollars.html or Chemistry... I personaly love perrhenates, because of their similarities with permanganates. However, I have never had any significant (>5g) of them and I haven't had any rhenium. I guess I am not lucky.

blogfast25 - 23-6-2012 at 05:39

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  

Rhenium has been used in nuclear reactors as a barrier between the uranium fuel pellets and the niobium alloy cladding. Rhenium has the second highest melting point of the elements, and is twice as strong as tungsten.

Are you sure about that? Nowadays it seems mainly Zirconium alloys are used for nuclear fuel cladding.

unionised - 23-6-2012 at 07:06

I think you should wait until Archimedes has finished his bath, then ask him.

Eddygp - 23-6-2012 at 07:46

@unionised The density was already calculated, wasn't it?

plante1999 - 23-6-2012 at 07:46

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
I think you should wait until Archimedes has finished his bath, then ask him.

A bath of aqua regia you want to say...

[Edited on 23-6-2012 by plante1999]

unionised - 23-6-2012 at 09:01

Quote: Originally posted by Eddygp  
@unionised The density was already calculated, wasn't it?

Yes, but the measurement of the volume is a bit questionable (it depends on how accurately machined the item is for a start).

DerAlte - 23-6-2012 at 09:51

@Unionised
If the hand in the photo is a human male hand, I don’t think the poster’s estimate of volume is that far off!

I believe the elements are actually bolonium and bullshittium, well known in Lalaland. Their densities are imaginary, approximately 22i and 19i respectively, where i= SQRT(-1). They are made from Al and Fe by a mental transformation process, aided by hallucinogenic.
Repost this thread in Whimsy, since we do not have a section for Science Fiction, although many recent posts seem to qualify.

Regards, Der Alte

unionised - 23-6-2012 at 10:05

Quote: Originally posted by DerAlte  
@Unionised
If the hand in the photo is a human male hand, I don’t think the poster’s estimate of volume is that far off!

I believe the elements are actually bolonium and bullshittium, well known in Lalaland. Their densities are imaginary, approximately 22i and 19i respectively, where i= SQRT(-1). They are made from Al and Fe by a mental transformation process, aided by hallucinogenic.
Repost this thread in Whimsy, since we do not have a section for Science Fiction, although many recent posts seem to qualify.

Regards, Der Alte

Any evidence for that rant?
Anyway, a better measurement of the volume might indicate that the density is 19 or so, rather than 21.5. Tungsten is a whole lot more plausible than any of the platinum group metals. (especially if you already found one lump of tungsten there.)

blogfast25 - 23-6-2012 at 10:11

@Unionised

Regards, Der Alte

Wicked, man! :cool:

Unionised's point on density stands: accurate measurement of volume may not have taken place yet.

DerAlte - 23-6-2012 at 10:31

unionised wrote: Any evidence for that rant?

None directly. It was not a rant, merely a little piece of satire based upon the actual likelihood of it actually being true, which is vanishingly small. Have you ever seen a piece of machined pure tungsten? What use would it be? Carbide tipped drills are very useful, however. People do not have about $9000 worth of shiny Pt rod or large billets of W in their basements. Dream on. Accurate volume measurement is easy, done with rule and micrometer. It's the weight that unlikely, and the composition...

Der Alte

Eddygp - 23-6-2012 at 11:06

OK, put the rhenium/whatever-it-is in a beaker with x cm3 of water. The beaker should now contain (x+y)cm3 of water+metal. x+y - x = y. y = volume of metal

z mass in grams/y = z/y g/cm3

LanthanumK - 23-6-2012 at 11:54

Use scratch tests with various materials (glass, knife, quartz, etc.) to determine Mohs' hardness. Tungsten has 7.5 hardness, platinum 4, and rhenium 7. If it can be scratched by a knife with difficulty, it is probably platinum.

phlogiston - 23-6-2012 at 13:13

rhenium dissolves in nitric acid, tungsten and platinum do not.

tungsten dissolves in warm, 30% hydrogen peroxide to give a yellow solution, platinum does not.

If the rod's diameter is uniform over its length, the volume measurement should be sufficiently accurate, and probably more so than typically achieved by immersion.

Quote:
None directly. It was not a rant, merely a little piece of satire based upon the actual likelihood of it actually being true, which is vanishingly small. Have you ever seen a piece of machined pure tungsten? What use would it be?

Unlikely events happen. It is not as if we hear this story on a regular basis.

Although you may not be able to think of any, these things exist and are used. Keep in mind he worked in a pretty unusual place.
Machined tungsten items are easy to find online:

Quote:
People do not have about $9000 worth of shiny Pt rod or large billets of W in their basements.

Apparantly, some people do. You should check out some of the wonderful items some element collectors have.

Fleaker - 23-6-2012 at 17:01

If you want, you can send it to me. I will use XRF analysis on it and tell you what it is. It's either platinum, rhenium, or iridium (it isn't osmium, I can tell that right away--plus that's so difficult to cast or sinter).

Looks like an iridium rod to me.

Quote:

People do not have about $9000 worth of shiny Pt rod or large billets of W in their basements.

I know people who have way more expensive quantities of PGMs or other elements in their collection. I have a good friend of mine is a metallurgist who has quite the collection of 5 and 10 kg sputtering targets out of Ta, Hf, Re, Zr, Nb, and W.

Attached is a piece of 9995 platinum so you can see its cast.

IMG_1053.jpg - 17kB

[Edited on 24-6-2012 by Fleaker]

unionised - 24-6-2012 at 04:36

unionised wrote: Any evidence for that rant?

None directly. It was not a rant, merely a little piece of satire based upon the actual likelihood of it actually being true, which is vanishingly small. Have you ever seen a piece of machined pure tungsten? What use would it be?

Der Alte

Yes, I have.
It was the electrode from a high power flash lamp.
Do you realise that your ignorance doesn't stop other people finding a use for it?
Incidentally, I also have a tin with 5Kg of tungsten sponge in it. It was chucked out as scrap so I git it for free. Not as valuable as a single rod, but quite a nice find.
Also, I rather suspect that they start with lengths of rod to make these.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tungsten+darts&hl=en&am...

[Edited on 24-6-12 by unionised]

cyanureeves - 24-6-2012 at 04:51

tungsten carbide is not the same as tungsten is it? ebay mostly has tungsten carbide stuff like rings and drill bits but i would like to own tunsten or separate it from the carbide if possible.

Endimion17 - 24-6-2012 at 05:29

The hardness test is a good starting point. Platinum crucibles are pretty easy to scratch with stainless steel.

blogfast25 - 24-6-2012 at 05:45

At the end of the day really only XRF will lay this to rest easily and conclusively.

unionised - 24-6-2012 at 07:28

For a given definition of "easily" - specifically one that includes having access to an XRF rig.

blogfast25 - 24-6-2012 at 07:58

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
For a given definition of "easily" - specifically one that includes having access to an XRF rig.

Quite a few jewelers have portable Niton XRFs today. If the suspicion is that Ir or Pt might be involved they would willingly oblige, I think.

My own suspicion is that we won't hear from our original poster again...

Erbium_Iodine_Carbon - 24-6-2012 at 16:23

I could scratch the rod with a kitchen knife. I also took some pictures with the measurements. I did weigh it on a scale accurate to 0.01g and got a mass of 185.61g.

IMG_6426.JPG - 138kB IMG_6425.JPG - 111kB IMG_6420.JPG - 114kB IMG_6419.JPG - 139kB IMG_6418.JPG - 111kB IMG_6417.JPG - 109kB

[Edited on 25-6-2012 by Erbium_Iodine_Carbon]

Sedit - 25-6-2012 at 00:05

Sorry if this has been asked but have you done a specific gravity test on it yet?

Organicus - 25-6-2012 at 02:29

I could scratch the rod with a kitchen knife. I also took some pictures with the measurements. I did weigh it on a scale accurate to 0.01g and got a mass of 185.61g.

So whats the density now?

Erbium_Iodine_Carbon - 25-6-2012 at 03:55

Density was 21.33g/cm3

V=h*pi*r^2
V=10.65*3.14159...*0.51^2
V=8.70cm3

Density=mass/volume
D=185.65/8.70
D=21.33g/cm3

[Edited on 25-6-2012 by Erbium_Iodine_Carbon]

blogfast25 - 25-6-2012 at 05:02

On photo 5 the rod seems slightly scratched, which would indicate the metal to be 'softish'. And you're certain that the rod isn't tapered, right?

With the suspicion being indeed in the direction of Pt you should really consult a jeweler, preferably one with a Niton XRF. Or take off a small piece and have it XRFed by Fleaker...

hyfalcon - 25-6-2012 at 06:06

Close enough for Platinum allowing for measurement error. Man, I would LOVE to have THAT for a perchlorate electrode!

Erbium_Iodine_Carbon - 25-6-2012 at 06:36

The 5th pic was indeed meant to show where I scratched the rod. I wouldn't use it as a perchlorate electrode by itself because it's surface area is tiny compared with the actual amount of platinum. I'm toying with the idea of dissolving some in aqua regia and plating it onto some other substrate, of course if it does turn out to be Pt.

blogfast25 - 25-6-2012 at 08:18

I'm toying with the idea of dissolving some in aqua regia and plating it onto some other substrate, of course if it does turn out to be Pt.

Sure. Add saturated NH4Cl to the solution (assuming you get one) to get yellow (NH4)2PtCl6. Boy, you are one lucky %^$%&%$&(^ if this turns out to be a majority Pt alloy!

plante1999 - 25-6-2012 at 08:22

I'm toying with the idea of dissolving some in aqua regia and plating it onto some other substrate, of course if it does turn out to be Pt.

Sure. Add saturated NH4Cl to the solution (assuming you get one) to get yellow (NH4)2PtCl6. Boy, you are one lucky %^$%&%$&(^ if this turns out to be a majority Pt alloy!
I already said this one in this thread. but test for other PGM could be done.

Fleaker - 25-6-2012 at 08:36

Neat. It's platinum then, or an alloy thereof.

FYI, don't ever use a mixture of ammonium nitrate and HCl to try and dissolve platinum--it does not work.

Swede - 25-6-2012 at 09:03

Interestingly, 187 grams equals 6.012 troy ounces... pretty close to a round number of troy ounces.

At $1440 / oz $US, IF the bar is Pt, then it has a value of approximately $8,640.

I see no reason for it to NOT be Pt, at least in terms of its shape. A solid bar rules out nothing. Big research firms start with all sorts of shapes to turn out finished products. The bar may be the starting shape of any number of Pt objects/devices. And a huge firm, or a government entity, might conceivably have dozens of these stashed away, years ago. The $$ would be piddling to them, and the temptation to lift one would be huge.

Cool find, it'll be interesting to find out what it is.

unionised - 25-6-2012 at 11:42

Humour me.
Take a long thin bottle of water, deep enough to put the rod in.
Put it on the scales and zero them. Tie a thread round the rod and lower it into the water so it is covered but not touching the bottom.
See what the scales read.

The water will exert an up thrust on the metal equal to the weight of water displaced (i.e. the volume of the rod). Since something has to provide that force, there's a downward force on the scales.
Since the density of water is practically 1 g/ml, the weight registered on the scales is the volume of the bar.

Even if this gives you exactly the same value as the measurements with the calliper gauge it will be useful confirmation (always a good thing in science) and it also lets me explain the easy way to measure the volume of an irregular solid.

smaerd - 25-6-2012 at 18:43

Really cool idea unionised. I'll need to take note of this.

Who knows maybe the guy was raised in the great depression and instead of hiding his cash under the mattress due to a mistrust in banks he decided to invest in a superfluous platinum rotor. Another interesting idea to take note of.

condennnsa - 26-6-2012 at 00:07

Yeah, that's really cool unionised, I didn't know that!

Panache - 28-6-2012 at 06:55

Platinum will carry a magnetic field, albeit more weakly than fe or ni, if you have a rare earth or strong magnet leave it attached overnight and see if it magnetises it slightly by morning. I believe this separates the other Pgm possibilities.

DerAlte - 29-6-2012 at 10:55

@Panache – AFAIK, Pt is paramagnetic in bulk so your test will not work. However, in alloys it is indeed ferromagnetic in combination, eg, with cobalt. Also, apparently in nanoparticles:
http://www.phantomsnet.net/files/abstracts/TNT2005/TNT05_Fer...
Also see www.platinummetalsreview.com/pdf/pmr-v8-i1-009-011.pdf
The presence of even small amounts of the ferromagnetic metals may thus show ferromagnetic properties.

@unionised: you wrote
Quote:
Yes, I have.
It was the electrode from a high power flash lamp.
Do you realise that your ignorance doesn't stop other people finding a use for it?
Incidentally, I also have a tin with 5Kg of tungsten sponge in it. It was chucked out as scrap so I git it for free. Not as valuable as a single rod, but quite a nice find.
Also, I rather suspect that they start with lengths of rod to make these.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tungsten+darts&hl=en&am...

Both your electrode and the darts are probably alloys, not pure tungsten. It does not take much alloying metal to quickly reduce the density of W. I was referring to pure tungsten.
And yes, I do realise that my ignorance doesn't stop other people finding a use for things. Otherwise the world would have come to a stop long ago!

Your Archimedean idea is a good one. As a further demo of the principle I would add suspending the thread via a spring balance to show the effect of buoyancy, also showing where the apparent weight gain is compensated. Your idea is far more accurate than measuring the displaced volume of the liquid which I have often used.
The principle is very easily shown mathematically.

@ Erbium_Iodine_Carbon
I am still very skeptical (~4σ;) but congratulate you either way. This is either one of the best hoaxes ever perpetrated on the members of this forum or a really lucky find. You win both ways!

Der Alte

Eddygp - 30-6-2012 at 02:13

Let us know if it's platinum... Wow... O.o

unionised - 30-6-2012 at 05:04

Mass of electrode 19.94 +/- 0.01g
Mass of water displaced 1.04 +/- 0.01 g
density 19.17 +/- about 1%
lit value 19.25

With the available equipment it is not possible to distinguish the density of this lump of metal from that of pure tungsten.

As you say " It does not take much alloying metal to quickly reduce the density of W. "

Re the darts, the reason for using tungsten is that it has a very high density and, as you say " It does not take much alloying metal to quickly reduce the density of W. " so it would be counter-productive for them to alloy it.

So the actual evidence shows, in one case, and strongly suggests in the other that pure tungsten is a reasonably common commodity.
Incidentally, when they make light bulb filaments they start with tungsten rods and draw them.

To give some idea of the value of this find you may want to look at this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pure-Tungsten-Rod-Electrodes-1-4...

vmelkon - 3-7-2012 at 07:10

If you really think it is a PGM, then perform this simple test:
1. Shave off a small piece using a knife.
2. Heat it in a flame
3. Does it form a layer of oxide?