Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Selling My Lab in Preparation for Move

melvinthedestroyer - 11-8-2012 at 11:46

Sorry start a new thread for this. The original thread I started with the details of why I'm selling my things, as well as answers to some inquiries can be found here.
I wanted to have the list of things for sale at the top, but it appears that the edit function has been disabled for my first post. If this is against the rules, please let me know and I would be happy to adjust. I didn't notice anything against it in the guidelines.

Anyway, here is the list. As I stated before, basically everything I have for sale is either brand new or barely used. I will define such condition terms at the bottom of this post.

Assume 24/40 unless otherwise specified. Prices do not include shipping. Just about everything is Pyrex and made in the USA, many are from United Glass Technologies.

THE LIST:

Distillation Kit

Details:

Hot Plate / Stirrer

Details:

Adapters & Such (All Brand New!)

Details:

Class A Volumetric Pipettes

Details:

Brushes, Tygon & Stirrer

Details:

Fume Hood Kit

Details:

FBF & Erlenmeyer

Details:

Safety Kit (?)

Details:

6L Flasks (Brand New!)

Details:

500mL PE Funnel (Brand New!)

Details:

Vacuum Filtration Kit (Brand New!)

Details:

4L Sep Funnel (Brand New!)

Details:

Clamps & Grease

Details:

Stopcock & Septums (Brand New!)

Details:

Coming Soon / Not Pictured

DEFINITION OF TERMS:

I want everyone who orders my things to be happy. So, I want to clearly define the terms I've been using.

NEW: These items have NEVER been used in a chemistry set up. However, I did get excited when I received certain items, and may have tried them out with water or something. For example, the 4L sep funnel has some water spots on it, but have never been used for anything but initial testing with water. I would call an item like that "new." If any chemicals have been used in the glassware, or if grease has ever touched the ground joints, I would consider the item "gently used." Please keep in mind, many of these items have been in storage for a while. Although I kept most of my new glass in boxes with packing peanuts, a "new" item may have some smudges, or possibly even tiny scratches so mild that my nice DSLR camera couldn't even resolve them in a close up shot.

GENTLY USED: These items have barely been used at all. Some of my items that I put in this category have only been used once. Glass in this category might be some mild stains or clouding on glassware, or perhaps some very very light scratches on the outside. Chances are, you'll get lucky and find that these stains come off with a vigorous cleaning. I would have called this category "like new," but I felt that if there were some mild clouding or purely aesthetic scratches on items that I called "like new" some people may get upset.

USED: These items have been used several times, or exhibit some stains that are probably permanent. There could be scratches on the outside of the glassware, but nothing that would affect performance unless I state it explicitly. Glassware in this category can still hold a vacuum without breaking.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

This is all shipping from Tallahassee, FL.

If ANYONE feels cheated or upset by their order, PLEASE inform me right away. I want everyone to enjoy my equipment as much as I did; considering how little I used all of it, hopefully a lot more! Use the pictures I provided to get an idea of what you're getting before you order; what you see is what you get! If you want a higher resolution picture before you order, U2U me and I can email a picture as an attachment. General questions can be posted this thread.

I would also prefer to speak to buyers on the phone, if possible. It would make me feel a lot better about selling this stuff online. Plus, if you have any issues, you can get in contact with me right away. I'm not sure how the average forum member feels about this, but I figure that it won't be that much of a problem.

U2U me if you are interested in purchasing and we will work something out with the shipping. Have fun researching your next buy and thanks to everyone on this forum! More to come!

[Edited on 12-8-2012 by melvinthedestroyer]

melvinthedestroyer - 13-8-2012 at 07:51

Bump. Anyone want this stuff? I am willing to cut a deal for anyone who wants a few things! I need this stuff gone pretty soon. Just U2U me and we'll talk about pricing, if cost is the issue. Thanks!

ScienceHideout - 13-8-2012 at 13:57

What type of chemicals do you have :D ????

melvinthedestroyer - 14-8-2012 at 18:15

I will have to check when I get a chance (I've been very busy with the move and work...) but I know I have DMSO, sulfuric acid, hydroquinone, sodium bromide, potassium bromide, potassium carbonate... can't think of any others at the moment but I know there's more!

ItsAChitzen - 17-8-2012 at 06:05

If you have any diethyl ether, I would be interested.

melvinthedestroyer - 17-8-2012 at 09:16

Nope not anymore, sorry!

Bohr-on - 17-8-2012 at 12:40

Are you willing to ship to Ottawa? Id be interested in the distillation kit, hot plate, maybe the PE funnel, the tygon tubing, the clamps and the grease and maybe some of the glassware not mentioned... Also anyone know if there'd be trouble crossing the border with it?

zenosx - 17-8-2012 at 14:35

Do you have a vacuum aspirator? If so i would be interested

Recommendation

sbbspartan - 18-8-2012 at 06:39

I just bought the fume hood kit from mevinthedestroyer, along with the vacuum grease and several chemicals. The prices are excellent, and the service is outstanding. The shipping price was good and he is going to give me a tracking number as well. I will give another review once I receive my package, but so far it has been a real pleasure doing business with melvin. He has to get rid of all of this stuff fairly quickly, so everything is going for very good prices and he is willing to make deals. I would HIGHLY recommend buying from him.

melvinthedestroyer - 18-8-2012 at 13:32

Quote: Originally posted by Bohr-on  
Are you willing to ship to Ottawa? Id be interested in the distillation kit, hot plate, maybe the PE funnel, the tygon tubing, the clamps and the grease and maybe some of the glassware not mentioned... Also anyone know if there'd be trouble crossing the border with it?

I would be willing, assuming there is no legal trouble in doing so. Not sure what the cost would be, though. I will contact your privately.

Quote: Originally posted by zenosx  
Do you have a vacuum aspirator? If so i would be interested

Sorry, just a vacuum pump, and I may have been able to sell that locally.

Zephyr - 3-9-2013 at 14:37

i am interested in the Vacuum Filtration Kit. i found one online (with a hand pump) for $55 and would be willing to pay $35 for it

also you dont happen to have a soxhlet do you? :D

Pyro - 3-9-2013 at 14:53

considering Melvin's last activity was measured (:D) at 27-10-2012 at 07:20 PM I don't think he will be able to sell you anything.
however: http://www.laboyglassstore.simple-helix.net/
has soxhlet extractors and lots of other good fancy glass for good prices.
I bought a 500ml soxhlet and 30mm condenser to fit on top for about 70USD, also I bought a 500mm allihn condenser, 500ml and 1000ml flasks and 4 custom adapters, all for 300USD

[Edited on 3-9-2013 by Pyro]

Finnnicus - 3-9-2013 at 15:50

How much is the shipping to Australia?
I am also interesting in the vacuum filtration stuff.

What have you sold?

[Edited on 3-9-2013 by Finnnicus]

hyfalcon - 3-9-2013 at 17:29

You guys need to cheek the dates on the OP.