Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Concentrated tannic acid

CHRIS25 - 23-9-2012 at 01:27

Just need to make sure about my basics here, am I correct in saying that 1.7 mol is a concentrated Tannic acid solution?

I divided 2850g/L by 1701g/mol?

Thankyou.

Hexavalent - 23-9-2012 at 01:40

Assuming your numbers themselves are correct, then yes.

CHRIS25 - 23-9-2012 at 05:53

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Assuming your numbers themselves are correct, then yes.
Thankyou.

Nicodem - 23-9-2012 at 09:23

It is wrong, but not because of the calculation. It's because the concentration of tannic acid can not be given in mol/L units due to it is not being a compound or mixture of isomers (only these can be represented with mol and mol/L units). For this reason, tannic acid does not have a defined empirical formula and no defined molecular mass.

PS: You should not believe every crap you read on Wikipedia unless you check its references first.

bbartlog - 23-9-2012 at 10:33

The first two paragraphs in the wikipedia article on tannic acid are actually pretty good... it's the sidebar information that is misleading.
I should further add that the solubility figure given there (assuming it is even correct in any context) is meant to say that 2850g of tannic acid will dissolve in one liter of water. This however will not give you a 1.7M solution since the resulting liquid will occupy a volume greater than one liter.