Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Microscopy Question

volcanomike - 6-11-2012 at 16:03

I am into snow science and geology and I use my microscope for snowflake, volcanic ash, and ore analysis. I have a problem when transferring fine materials, such as volcanic ash, onto slides. I always end up with stray bristles on the slide from the brushes. Does anyone know of any special brushes used for this purpose? I have never seen or know of brushes with bristles that are more resistant to falling out, but I do not know for sure.
Thanks for any help!
Mike

Mailinmypocket - 6-11-2012 at 16:23

Quote: Originally posted by volcanomike  
I am into snow science and geology and I use my microscope for snowflake, volcanic ash, and ore analysis. I have a problem when transferring fine materials, such as volcanic ash, onto slides. I always end up with stray bristles on the slide from the brushes. Does anyone know of any special brushes used for this purpose? I have never seen or know of brushes with bristles that are more resistant to falling out, but I do not know for sure.
Thanks for any help!
Mike

Do bristles fall that frequently from your brushes? What kind of brushes are you using?

volcanomike - 6-11-2012 at 16:31

Thanks for your reply, Malinmypocket! The brushes I use tend to loose bristles a lot. They are small paintbrushes, but I have not tried many other types yet. It may be good to try better paintbrushes, but I am not sure if there are specialty brushes for this purpose.
Mike

watson.fawkes - 6-11-2012 at 17:22

Quote: Originally posted by volcanomike  
They are small paintbrushes, but I have not tried many other types yet.
Paintbrushes are designed to wick liquid and you can use that to stabilize the bristles. Take a fine syringe and inject a thin-bodied cyanoacrylate glue (that is, super-glue) directly into the well of the brush. The well is the volume within the metal ferrule that holds the bristles in and acts a solvent reservoir in ordinary use. Since you're using them dry, you can fill them up.

You'll still have to deal with bristles breaking, but at least not falling out.

volcanomike - 6-11-2012 at 17:40

That's a great idea! I will give that a try!

Thanks!
Mike

bahamuth - 7-11-2012 at 07:46

Might also try to stroke the brush onto some 100-300 grit (European standard, think it is grains per square cm) sand paper to rip out the loose fibers but also to "smooth" the fibers that are retained.

volcanomike - 7-11-2012 at 13:45

That's true! I'll try the sandpaper before I use the Cyanoacrylate
Thanks!
Mike

phlogiston - 8-11-2012 at 02:20

My father-in-law taught me never ever to use new paint brushes for painting. After a couple paintjobs all the loose ones will have fallen off and the remaining ones stay put.
Clean and keep old brushes.