Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Now that is what I call a home lab.

Dr Zeibenstein - 17-11-2012 at 17:57

Hi this is my first post here. Been lurking for some time. I hope this video hasn't been posted before but this a true mad scientists lab. :cool:
I don't know how to embed maybe someone could do it for me cheers.

Mad scientists lab

franklyn - 17-11-2012 at 19:06

The fuque overture is a nice touch , all that's missing are some burning drapes.
The pipe organ is really over the top , made me laugh. So , do you tie up your
girlfriend in there or what.

Below all youtube videos is this control panel , click on share and then embed
and copy and paste the highlighted text onto your post.

embed code.gif - 14kB

Dr Zeibenstein - 17-11-2012 at 19:53

Thanks for that. But following on there should be lightning strikes "Its Alive. ITS ALIVE!"

<iframe sandbox width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4g3ZGXpuIqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr Zeibenstein - 17-11-2012 at 19:58

Some times when you wake up in the morning are they?

Dr Zeibenstein - 17-11-2012 at 20:00

Mwah ha ha ha.

elementcollector1 - 17-11-2012 at 20:35

SO. MUCH. SCIENCE.
I can only dream of having a lab this awesome...

Mildronate - 18-11-2012 at 01:04

Nice but to antique

DJF90 - 18-11-2012 at 01:20

I don't like it personally. And that organ playing is ridiculous. Just my opinion I guess...

Hexavalent - 18-11-2012 at 02:16

I have to agree; seems to big to be practical IMO, and everything is very, erm...old fashioned.

I also couldn't work with that organ nonsense going on behind me, too loud and distracting for me to do proper chemistry.

smaerd - 18-11-2012 at 05:37

I really dig it, it's romantic. Sure it's old fashioned but the actual glass-ware is ground glass. Ventillation doesn't look good, especially having lit bunsen burners with 2 foot yellow flames. It's cool but I don't really want my work-space to be much like it.

Hexavalent - 18-11-2012 at 05:37

Oh my goodness! He's been robbed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZdPuNkjg-U&feature=g-all...

smaerd - 18-11-2012 at 05:41

That's fucked up... :(. They took like everything. What kind of people would do that honestly? If they wanted the metal for scrap or something that's horrible but it looks like they took all of his glass-ware and chemicals as well... :( Poor guy.

edit -
Looks like he rebuilt his organ?
<iframe sandbox width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uNZ0u4Qj-H0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[Edited on 18-11-2012 by smaerd]

Endimion17 - 18-11-2012 at 05:48

I've put the link few months ago, but nobody seemed to care.
The lab is interesting, though I don't like the organ part too much. I asked the guy via YT about the corrosion, he told me it's ok.

I doubt the stuff plays all the time, guys. :D

It would be cool to take a few creepy vintage Frankenstein style photos in dim candle light.

edit:
crap, I've just realized he's been robbed. Why on Earth would someone want to do that? :(

[Edited on 18-11-2012 by Endimion17]

Hexavalent - 18-11-2012 at 05:51

smaerd, that video was posted before the one showing the robbery, so he had only re-built it fairly recently.

Mildronate - 18-11-2012 at 09:50

i dont think he actualy worked there.

Magpie - 18-11-2012 at 16:36

That was a beautiful piece of art - probably one of a kind.

Dr.Bob - 21-11-2012 at 12:45

That was an awesome lab, far more beautiful than most labs I have ever worked in. One lab I have worked in actually looked more like a prison than a lab building. I'll admit a little old fashioned, but most stuff I use now is (try working at low budget academic place, they tend to be full of old crap.)

I like the music, maybe not every day, but for those exciting moments, as well as visitors, it would be great. I'm sad to see that he was robbed, that really sucks, one of the bad parts of YouTube and FaceBook is the ability to see where nice things are and ruin them.

Mildronate - 22-11-2012 at 04:37

Actualy if we speak about working in this kind of lab, then i must say that labs in the Soviet Union midlle schools were better equipped :D, also if we go far away back in time labs like Ostvalds or Arenius workplaces also had more advanced, this looks like alchemistry, nice, but unpractical. home lab must look like this:

Shulgin.jpg - 72kB

tetrahedron - 22-11-2012 at 04:56

doesn't look as glamorous as the CSI lab =D

plasticraincoat1 personal home laboratory

plasticraincoat1 - 5-10-2013 at 07:33

To those throwing crap about my laboratory.....I think your comments about my lab are totally inexcusable - especially since this website that you have have made is al about promoting chemistry! I spend much of my time promoting chemistry amongst young people in schools and also on youtube showing chemistry experiments. My lab is a collection of my life since I was 11 and of course its antique - but thats because I simply put chemicals in lovely victorian bottles! However the chemistry is till the same and where on earth would chemistry be today if it were not for the victorians and the arts. To make such bitchy off the cuff unprovoked and unkind comments I:mad::P:( suspect comes from a deep seated jealous nature. You would do well to congratulate other chemists out there and not taking such a bullshit attitude to others precious works.
yours most sincerely
A mclaughlin c/co plasticraincoat1

PS.Oh Hexavalent, and DJF90 and if we are still in the crap throwing mode as you cleary are, let me throw some your way- let me just assure you that your own websites - are utterly uninspiring and boring and does very little to excite about chemistry. Mine however has let me travel to Japan and the USA and promote chemistry by demonstrating experiments on national TV!

bfesser - 5-10-2013 at 07:48

Overreact much? Check the drama lessons at the door, please.

plasticraincoat1 - 5-10-2013 at 07:56

Mr bfesser you would do well to lear manners- especially since it does not concern you - or it didn't until now. Uncaring people like you is what give chemistry ( and human beings) a bad name.

bfesser - 5-10-2013 at 08:04

It doesn't concern me, eh? You're the one who needs to learn some manners.

plasticraincoat1 - 5-10-2013 at 08:40

Oh Bogg off! ( now theres some bad manners ! for you! )

WGTR - 5-10-2013 at 09:34

As a classical organ enthusiast myself, I have grown to accept that the majority of the human race just does not understand or appreciate organ music. Music that is invigorating to me sounds like funeral music to most other people, and it depresses them. They often make weird comments about it. You just can't take the comments personally. Otherwise you'll be offended all the time.

Classical pipe organ and chemistry are two of my most favorite things, and I appreciate the way the lab was configured. It was the kind of setup where I would have felt obligated to wear a suit and tie before doing anything in the lab.

Anyway, bfesser is one of the mods, so pretty much everything is his business!

plasticraincoat1 - 5-10-2013 at 11:57

WGTR thanks for your gracious and polite reply. I have sent you a U2U message. best regards :)

phlogiston - 5-10-2013 at 12:28

plasticraincoat1, your lab is absolutely beautiful! Its a piece of art. Who cares if you haven't got the latest NMR equipment. The number of forum members that put even 1/10th of the effort and dedication into building their lab must be very small (and I'm certainly not among them).

Has Thomas Edisons 'Menlo Park' laboratory inspired you by any chance? I can see some similarities, including the organ. If not, you should have a look, you would probably like it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Menlo_Par...

[Edited on 5-10-2013 by phlogiston]

BobD1001 - 5-10-2013 at 15:53

I personally think it is an incredible lab! Its great to see such devotion and love go into the hobby. It might be everyone's fancy, but I'm sure everyone would love to have it!

I have long admired your videos on YouTube, and was fascinated by the sealed sample of NO2 that you had! Kudos to you my friend!

Magpie - 5-10-2013 at 17:37

You have (had) a beautiful lab which you surely love. I was horrified to see it trashed and hope that you can recover all or most of it.

If you don't mind my asking I'm wondering about your relations with the local authorities. Surely they are fully aware of such a large lab. Do you have special permissions or licenses? Are you periodically inspected for proper chemical labeling, storage, waste disposal, etc? Are there any limitations imposed by the authorities? This has to be of great interest to many of us here who are under the impression that having a home lab is, if not illegal, highly frowned on.

WGTR - 5-10-2013 at 17:58

This was not the kind of lab that someone walked into, and thought, "Oh, no! A meth lab!" Or, "He's making a bomb!" It looked more like a sacred place of meditation, a place to go to for inspiration. I would hope that the authorities left him alone.

Now that's what I call a home lab

plasticraincoat1 - 6-10-2013 at 15:03

Hi guys thanks for your kind comments greatly appreciated. To answer some of your questions re the authorities etc. I once invited the head of the explosives branch up just to show them what I was doing to relay any suspicions ( many many years before any one had heard the word Islam etc) The head guy was really present and laid back but his want to be looked at every bottle with great interest and came across and antique bottle labeled pot nitre - he took great delight in apologising for doing his job and tipped it down my sink! Anyway he didn't know what pot chloras was thank goodness ! Chemistry in the uk is generally safe as long as you are not really a meth lab or doing something illegal ( which I don't ). It's a bit like driving thought read lights or without lights at night if you do you will be caught and if abide by the law there's nothing to fear ( hopefully in a sane and reasonable society ). Mind you from some of the unfair and over reaction stories I've read in Europe I'm not so confident! Anyway my now 7th lab is on tis way to being viewed soon and I hope to publish loses more unusual experiments on the web for your and others interests in the goal to make chemistry accessible to all.

bfesser - 6-10-2013 at 15:58

Alright, that's enough. You've evidently come here to brag about your lab, vie for admiration, and <a href="viewthread.php?tid=26529">start arguments</a> with our members. Contribute something of value, or leave.

If you absolutely must whore for attention, go back to YouTube.

[topic closed]