Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Place to Set Off Explosives

Nitrator - 5-12-2012 at 14:28

I live on 1 acre in a fairly "nice" neighborhood and don't want to alarm any neighbors by setting of large quantities of explosive material. Does anyone have any ideas of where I would have enough space to detonate something without causing alarm? I was thinking of a wilderness type area that is not apart of a park or privately owned, but I'm not sure such places exist in the U.S. any more.

Thanks for any constructive suggestions.

Motherload - 5-12-2012 at 14:39

It's going to be obviously different for different cities and countries.
I usually end up going to the "gravel pit" for the day.
It's primarily a shooting day but most target shooters don't mind a loud bang.
Not advisable at the range though.

Nitrator - 5-12-2012 at 14:55

From my understanding, most quarries are private property. I'd prefer not to trespass if at all possible (especially where there's no cover lol).

Shooting range: I like my privacy so, probably not. And I would like to blow up a tree, which I doubt the shooting range owner would appreciate.

(I know, I'm picky).

Thanks though

497 - 5-12-2012 at 15:19

Depending on where you go there will be a series of pits along a road where gravel was dug to build the road. They're usually public I think. You'll see remnants of things people where shooting at, but rarely actually anyone around in my experience. Depending on what you're doing, blasting underwater/underground will quiet things substantially.

Otherwise, get some good hiking boots and Google Earth, for the best possible privacy.

[Edited on 5-12-2012 by 497]

Yamato71 - 5-12-2012 at 19:51

What about doing like the US did in 1963 and do your testing underground? Bury a length of culvert pipe vertically to a depth of 4-5 feet, place your device at the bottom and cover with dirt as needed. You could also construct a buried water column to do the same thing. You'd be surprised what you can get away with.

Ral123 - 6-12-2012 at 09:10

Stop destroying living things please, specially with explosives. There even was an a** who tested his large AP charges on the train rails. Destroying what is not yours with energetic materials should be a tabu.
I was thinking of testing sub gram quantities in my apartment in a bucket or a small barrel with water. I only make micro tests-15grams, or less but at my age if they caught me I'll be in trouble. If I was a kid, nobody would bother to arrest me and suspect that I do picric acid, nitrourea and that kind of stuff.

hiperion42 - 6-12-2012 at 12:18

If you find it difficult to find a spot like when
you live in a densely populated area a fairly
fail safe option would be to do it at night in some forest.
It would be next to impossible to track someone
that way (if carefully planned).

Nitrator - 7-12-2012 at 09:57

Thanks for the suggestions. I won't be doing it underground, because I did once before and you can't watch the carnage:(

I guess I'll just have to hike through the woods with high-order explosives in my backpack. Oh well, the life of a mad scientist is a perilous one.